The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many GB of samples can you load/run in a GIGA PC Desktop Synthesizers
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

How many GB of samples can you load/run in a GIGA PC

Ok. I've been reading for near two days and my head is burning.

I'll put a thread to talk in deep about it but, by now, can anybody tell me how many GBs of samples (+/-) can you load/run in a single specialy-tweaked high end GIGA PC? (Say a Carillon Core Duo 2.66 with 2 GB of RAM)

(And yes, I know that Gigastudio has a RAM limit of around 1GB)

Thank you very much
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

on system not optimized for GS3 because I was rewiring thru Cubase I only got 650-700MB and the system ran well and didn't really crash.
optomized for GS3 I can get a little over 1GB, but nothing else runs on the machine.
I mainly use GVI now inside Cubase.
Good luck!
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi, Olivia

Thank you for your answer.

I think you are talking about RAM. Aren't you?

My question was about the amount of GBs of data, of samples, from your Hard Disc, that you can load
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman View Post
Hi, Olivia

Thank you for your answer.

I think you are talking about RAM. Aren't you?

My question was about the amount of GBs of data, of samples, from your Hard Disc, that you can load
ahhh, I see. What would be the difference here? I thought that since it did a RAM preload deal and streamed them off of your harddrive you would be more limited by your RAM before the HD ever became an issue?
Need more input.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm not talking about HD limitation. I know that the limitation is in the RAM. But the detail I want to know is: The size of libraries, the amount of data that I can load and run.

I'm looking for and answer kind of: "In a fine tuned specialized GIGA PC you can load and run a maximun of 15 - 16 GB of libraries" (or "20 -22 GB of samples") (or "you can load instruments for a maximun weigh of 6-7 GB")

Not sure if I'm clearer now ...
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman View Post
I'm not talking about HD limitation. I know that the limitation is in the RAM. But the detail I want to know is: The size of libraries, the amount of data that I can load and run.

I'm looking for and answer kind of: "In a fine tuned specialized GIGA PC you can load and run a maximun of 15 - 16 GB of libraries" (or "20 -22 GB of samples") (or "you can load instruments for a maximun weigh of 6-7 GB")

Not sure if I'm clearer now ...
I was hoping someone else might have an answer too, I'm still not sure what you're trying to get at.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict
This isn't the ideal forum as GigaStudio is pretty much a law unto itself so I suggest you post a message here :

v.i. control forum • Board Index [ Guest ]

There's a GigaStudio section and there's a guy who works for Tascam who answers questions and will probably have the knowledge to help you .

Kraznet

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search