The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dual Core and PT LE 7 for XP DAW Software
Old 5th September 2007
Here for the gear

Dual Core and PT LE 7 for XP

I've just purchased the new 003 rack (still waiting delivery as digidesign is on backorder) and am considering upgrading my Computer as well. I've been using a P4, with XP pro, SCSI hard drives and only 1 GB ram for about 3 years and i love it; it has been extremely reliable.

Does anybody know if PT LE 7 can actually take advantage of dual core technology?

Also, I think it's important to open the dicsussion about whether SATA 2 are better for PT multitracking than SCSI.

Cheers!

Start w/ Talent
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Forget dual, go quad.

The Intel Q6600 is only $285.

There's people running PTLE on this processor with fantastic results.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

One more vote for intel q6600. I use it for a few days and all I can tell you that it's amazingly powerfull.
If you want specific configurations, go to the duc, many useful info can be found there.
Tamas Dragon

Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by starts w/ talent View Post
I've just purchased the new 003 rack (still waiting delivery as digidesign is on backorder) and am considering upgrading my Computer as well. I've been using a P4, with XP pro, SCSI hard drives and only 1 GB ram for about 3 years and i love it; it has been extremely reliable.

Does anybody know if PT LE 7 can actually take advantage of dual core technology?

Also, I think it's important to open the dicsussion about whether SATA 2 are better for PT multitracking than SCSI.

Cheers!

Start w/ Talent
There's only one adress: DUC: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

It's a looooooooooooooooooooooooong thread, so better start around page 45.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplay View Post
There's only one adress: DUC: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

It's a looooooooooooooooooooooooong thread, so better start around page 45.
Absolutely. That's what you want to build right there. Just make you build it using the SAME EXACT PARTS as listed; Nothing more, nothing less, nothing different. Why sacrifice potential system stability to save yourself $20?

If you're gonna use VSTis, make sure you get 4GB of RAM as well.

Enjoy!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Get the Quad.
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Absolutely. That's what you want to build right there. Just make you build it using the SAME EXACT PARTS as listed; Nothing more, nothing less, nothing different. Why sacrifice potential system stability to save yourself $20?

If you're gonna use VSTis, make sure you get 4GB of RAM as well.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that link. That thread is insanely long.

BTW, I rented a 003 from a local music store called Long and McQuade becasue like any gear slut, I couldn't wait the 4 weeks until the until I ordered arrives and I must say, the 003 has some really nice new features.

In addition to better pre's and better A to D conversion...
More I/O including midi, aux for external effects and monitoring outputs. After reading though the manual last night (becasue I'm that guy who actually still does) I really get the feeling that digidesign does not have the avid user in mind (no pun intended). They are marketing to people who think they are gonig to make great records because Pro Tools is all they need. $1500 later and they are audio engineers... lol!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search