The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SATA ports On A Board
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

SATA ports On A Board

I have an Epox AMD board with built in sata porta and nvida running it .
The yeah but is can't turn it off in the bios !
. i went and bought a new sata 4 port controller card to run more than 2 sata drives .
If I try an engage the new sata cards drivers the board jams plus asthe comute ris booting the nvidai is asking for a driver for it !
If I leave the sata driver alone with new cardit will boot but i can't array the drives !!
If your thinking of using a sata controler card don't get a board with biult in sata ports there seems to be a flaw in this setup neither Sabrent had any advice for me or Epox nor Nvida !
Iwant to pas this along any maybe save some others from the same BS I'm stuck with .

James
modren technology my eye !!
Old 5th September 2007
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.ca View Post
I have an Epox AMD board with built in sata porta and nvida running it .
The yeah but is can't turn it off in the bios !
. i went and bought a new sata 4 port controller card to run more than 2 sata drives .
If I try an engage the new sata cards drivers the board jams plus asthe comute ris booting the nvidai is asking for a driver for it !
If I leave the sata driver alone with new cardit will boot but i can't array the drives !!
If your thinking of using a sata controler card don't get a board with biult in sata ports there seems to be a flaw in this setup neither Sabrent had any advice for me or Epox nor Nvida !
Iwant to pas this along any maybe save some others from the same BS I'm stuck with .

James
modren technology my eye !!

Start with a spell-check or don't write when drunk then it would be easier for me to follow what your talking about....

Mixing SATA controllers can be a pain. This is why I have a mobo with 8 Sata ports.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

SATA Ports on Baord

Sorry about bad typing as usual for me for get to proff read.

That am I the worst typest on the net.
Ileant did typing 30 some years back heavy key type writers and I i tpye with a smoke in m y hand most of the time .

My pointis this
my EPOX boards BIOS won't shut down the nvida the works the SAT parts .
If your considering installing a SATA controller card, get a board without built in ports .
I belive this is a flaw on both Nvida's end or EPOX as well.
If your trying to engage the new driver it jams the board right up
if you don't use the new driver your HD's will work but can't array them !
Just a tid bit of an interesting flaw some one did not see or fix prior to the boards being released to the public.
An 8 port board how many PCI slots on the board ?
have an older AASUS with 4 IDE ports and laoded with 6 drives myself
The SATA conroller cards price wise are Ok till you go past 4 ports the cards jump up large in cost apx the same as a large format SCSI controler card .
James

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search