The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools M-Powered Help
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Pro Tools M-Powered Help

The DUC seems DOA, so I'll ask you fine folks...I am a Cubase/Nuendo guy, and I recently had a good friend bring me her album to mix. The project was recorded on a Pro Tools rig, so I bought the M-Audio Black Box interface/PTMP 7 package with a bunch of plugs, etc. I was thinking about getting a small PT rig anyway, since I have no experience with the program, and as I get more work, I will eventually have to know it as well as I do the Steinberg stuff.

I can't seem to import the Session into PT7. I could not get it to open as a session, but I could import the individual audio files...but since they are not time-stamped, everything started at 0:00:00 and I have no intention of recreating dozens of punch ins.

Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to find anything on how to import a session on line...or in the accompanying instructional video.

I'm on the road for the next month, and I brought this project with me hoping to get some work done on the bus and on days off. Now it looks like I might ship it all back home if I can't get this sussed. Can I have a PT HD system open and then re-save them as something I actually can open in PTMP? I think our front of house guy has a full-blown rig out here...

Here's my rig:

MacBook Pro 2.16gHz, 2 gig RAM, ProTools M-Powered 7.1, M-Audio Black Box interface. Her files are on a Western Digital Firewire drive.

Thanks for the help....!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

What version of Pro Tools was it created on?

Have you tried "import session data"?
Old 5th September 2007
yeah, try importing session data, one track at a time.

If you want, PM me, and you can send me the session file to test on my system.

Was it created on Mac or PC?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

OK. I open up PT7, create a new session, go to file/import/session data....I get a menu with all of the songs, as well files called "autorun". "autorun.inf", "Desktop DB", "Desktop DF", "Digidesign Databases", "Finder.DAT" and "System Information".

If I open a song ("Dreamland") file I get: "AUDIOF~1", "DREAML~1", "Fade Files", and "FINDER.DAT.

When I open the "AUDIOF~1" folder, I can see all of the individual tracks. They have a gray screen with green lettering icon that reads"exec", and they show up as Unix Executable files. They will not import.

If I import as audio files, they need to be converted and end up all starting at 0:00:00. Apparently, the album was recorded using mixed file formats...some have Cubase icons. I am stymied.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear
Ohhh crap, 1st rule of thumb should have got ptools academic due to its omf. 2nd maybe they were tracked on windows on a fat32 hd partition due to the way your posting the wav file names. whenever the tilde key (~) is in a file it means the file name was or were truncated so yeah that may be the most serious problem. And nuendo rules!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search