The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
wdm or asio drivers DAW Software
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

wdm or asio drivers

which is the best. when i started recording on a sounblaster live i was running wdm and had so good amature mixes but every since i switched to a interface and moved to asio things are way worse on the work flow end and the sound is well, io am chasing a sound i may never achieve. which is better asio or wdm
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

asio drivers are pretty stable (depending on who wrote them) and low latency. The WDM drivers are the pits.
Old 5th September 2007
Here for the gear

All be it from sound blasters website it is still useful ha!

"Audio Stream In/Out (ASIO) technology. ASIO has made its mark as the driver standard for delivering low-latency transfer of digital audio. This means that hardware supporting an ASIO driver is able to deliver low-latency recording and monitoring to hard disk."

It basically lets you record and play back from multiple sources at once, with as low latency as possible.

ASIO Is VERY useful =]
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

WDM or ASIO doesn't affect the quality of the mix. It does (as has been said above) affect your latency. If you are noticing more flaws in your mixes it means either that the interface has better sound quality and you are noticing the flaws more, or your ears are improving and you are noticing the flaws more. Either way it's a good thing. You will probably spend the rest of your career chasing a sound you can't achieve...but even the best engineers do the same thing...

Keith
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

ThANKS

KEITH SUMMED IT UP I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THE QUALITY OF THE MIX WAS BETTER BUT I GUESS NOT. I JUST NOTICED AFTER SWITCHING TOO ASIO ITS BEEN PROBLEMS AND MIXES EVER SOUNDED THE SAME BUT I THINK IT IS BECAUSE I AM AROUND ALOT OF POWER PRODUCERS AND WHAT THEY DO WITH EASY I CANT SO KEITH....THANK YOU
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
KEITH SUMMED IT UP I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THE QUALITY OF THE MIX WAS BETTER BUT I GUESS NOT. I JUST NOTICED AFTER SWITCHING TOO ASIO ITS BEEN PROBLEMS AND MIXES EVER SOUNDED THE SAME BUT I THINK IT IS BECAUSE I AM AROUND ALOT OF POWER PRODUCERS AND WHAT THEY DO WITH EASY I CANT SO KEITH....THANK YOU
If it's recording or mix qaulity your after then have you checked the gear your using?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Cool

im my case... wdm drivers work better and have the same latency as the asio drivers ( i use a motu 2408II interface)
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
im my case... wdm drivers work better and have the same latency as the asio drivers ( i use a motu 2408II interface)
Something that wont work in alot of cases but nice....

As my quote earlier, they were made to help...

"WDM Drivers are the pits...."

+1 for me!

Last edited by TwistedFix; 6th September 2007 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Adding more
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

If you are getting glitches, try adjusting the ASIO buffer settings.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
I think a situation like this may be rare, but I have the same results after testing my gear. I use Sonar 4PE, Echo Layla 24/96 and either the Echo ASIO or Echo WDM driver. I trigger dfh Superior in real-time from a kit and the WDM has been fast and stable at the 2.9 ms buffer setting while the ASIO will inject a pop or click here and there. Neither is stable enough for me at 1.5 ms setting with my system in total.

For recording and mixing, I can use either since having the smallest buffer isn't critical for me during that process and both do a great job with slightly higher buffers (10 ms +).

I finally got Sonar 6 PE, and haven't done testing yet to see if this will stay the same.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Something for everyone to try - ASIO4ALL !!!

ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver

They are universal asio drivers that outperform a lot of the ones out there. It's free and comes with an instruction manual and has a great little control panel. Download it and test it out - it's really well written and works for most configurations. Be sure to toggle the simple/advanced tab for more options on the control panel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search