The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundtoys...hmm Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Soundtoys...hmm

I finally got to try the Soundtoys plugs and see what the hype is all about. I'm happy they just ported their line to the Windows Platform. I'm running PT on XP&MacOS.

I think they are good but based on peoples comments I was expecting to be blown away. I wasn't.

I was mainly interested in the filters and the delay and tried them out against the Ohmforce demo. Although I will be purchasing Echoboy I feel I wanted more as far as sound goes...I'm sorry, it doesn't sound analog. Ohmboyz is a very different kind of delay but unfortunately doesn't run on Windows.

Filterfreak was alright...if I didn't put it up against QuadFrohmage. Neither of those sound as good as a Sherman or a Mutator but QF takes the cake. I will miss it on XP but I still need to have it on Mac.

Tremolator I liked a lot...probably the most analog sounding of the Soundtoys bunch.

Phazers were cool...I'm not into them in general...

Thought I share...
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Interesting, I really liked the whole bundle really, I like the crystalizer a lot just because i can't find any other plug in like it. and when it works it really works. Like the echo boy and the filter freq as well! Personal opinion of course, To me they haven't replaced my utility delays / Filters however when i need something to make a prominent impact on a song i find they do that job more often than not!
Old 4th September 2007
I own both soundtoys and all ohmforce plugs and I have to say that the soundtoys are far more useable than the ohmforce plugs.
The results are way more musical with soundtoys than with the ohmforce plugins but than again, this can be a matter of taste.
I really do like the echoboy from soundtoys and compared to the delay from ohmforce (ohmboys),I think it does sound way more analog, espacially when you delve deeper into the interface and the hidden parameters.
Also, I don't think you can compare the sherman to any filter plugin nor to the mutator. The sherman has it's uses and so does the filterfreak. You can not get the soundtoys sounds out of a sherman or the other way around.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I use Sound Blender on almost every session. It can do soooo much!

Pure pitch is also one of my must haves.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

when i tried the demo of the plugs, i thought, eh, they're ok...
years later it came to AU for logic and i needed a specific effect and i found it in crystalizer so decided to by the bundle just for that effect.

i then started playing around with the rest of the plugs and read the manuals for all of them and boy did it open my eyes. these plugins are the most versatile of any of their kind. they are so configurable and now that i know what all the buttons and knobs do, i've found how incredibly powerful they are.

now i'm waiting for soundblender and the speed to be ported to logic
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah Crystalizer is pretty unique...don't get me wrong, I do think they offer some great features. I read some bits off the manuals...there are some "hidden" tweaks that take it to the next level. Also I like the fact that they are TDM and I can use them on both MacOs and XP...

Radiance, since you own both take a simple clean 6pole Lowpass with no Reso and do a sweep on both FF and QF. To my ears QF sounds much better...FF seems to lose it the lower you go.

...Maybe I should have more than one Filter plug heh
Old 4th September 2007
Ok, I ran a saw wave through the filterfreak, the quad frohmage and logics own auto filter and with none of the distortion gadgets engaged they all sounded pretty similar. Mind you, I'm no audio fool/purist so there might be some minor differences by which I can't be bothered. Then there's the distortion function which all three filters have. All three filters can sound quite different with these function switched on so there's not much to compare here I guess.

Filterfreak has by far the most user friendly interface though...(well, the auto filter is also easy but lacks some functions the other two have).
Only thing that bothers me about the filterfreak is the fact that the automation does not work right in logic. It somehow is scaled wrong so a straight filter sweep goes very fast in the beginning and towards the end nothing much happens...(when you turn the freq. knob it works OK though)
I really hope they'll fix this in a future update.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

The soundtoys interface is the best of the two, hands down. It doesn't help either that I'm using the Ohmforce funky skins...

I'm gearing more towards getting the Soundtoys bundle...I already have pitchdoctor so that would be $790 for all their plugs based on their current promo...

When I compared FF to QF it was simply a 6 pole filter - nothing else. Again to my ears, FF loses focus the lower you go...plus there is something about the resonance that doesn't quite sound right...anyway nuff said. I'm getting both
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
I finally got to try the Soundtoys plugs and see what the hype is all about. I'm happy they just ported their line to the Windows Platform. I'm running PT on XP&MacOS.

I think they are good but based on peoples comments I was expecting to be blown away. I wasn't.

I was mainly interested in the filters and the delay and tried them out against the Ohmforce demo. Although I will be purchasing Echoboy I feel I wanted more as far as sound goes...I'm sorry, it doesn't sound analog. Ohmboyz is a very different kind of delay but unfortunately doesn't run on Windows.

Filterfreak was alright...if I didn't put it up against QuadFrohmage. Neither of those sound as good as a Sherman or a Mutator but QF takes the cake. I will miss it on XP but I still need to have it on Mac.

Tremolator I liked a lot...probably the most analog sounding of the Soundtoys bunch.

Phazers were cool...I'm not into them in general...

Thought I share...
Really!? I have both and Soundtoys filter & Delay blow the ohmforce outta the water in my opinion..
They sound so Analogue it's incredible. The interface on all their plugs is so intuitive as well.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
I was mainly interested in the filters and the delay and tried them out against the Ohmforce demo. Although I will be purchasing Echoboy I feel I wanted more as far as sound goes...
Really?
It is all personal I guess but I've been using Echoboy since the day it come out (Mac TDM) and it is incredible.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I find these plugs to be amazing. They are an absolute "Must Have" as far as I am concerned. When I went Protools HD, these were #1 on my list for TDM Plugs.

I guess I'm surprised that anyone would not find them awesome. To each thier own.
Old 5th September 2007
I mixed a record at another studio that has Echoboy. I hadn't heard of it at all, and came away so impressed that I've bought it for my PT system. Great sounding delay that just gets deeper the more I use it.
Ben
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd love an AU version of sound blender
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nothing compares to Ohm Force, those guys are crazy!
For analog delays (but perhaps not at all what you're looking for) you should try Massey TD-5
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Nothing compares to Ohm Force, those guys are crazy!
For analog delays (but perhaps not at all what you're looking for) you should try Massey TD-5
ohmforce may be amazing though i don't own any of them. i have the standalone versions of the plugs on my pc here at work and i really didn't find them very intuitive, in particular the delay. i just loaded up QuadFrohmage again and it seems to be ok in this regard and quite configurable and with 4 filters, nice!

i don't generally like unintuitive plugins so maybe my opinion is biased. soundtoys on the other hand has a very intuitive interface and hides the more complex features which suited me fine in the beginning.

afaik, audio applications can be complex and have a steep learning curve but when i want an effect, i want it to be quick and painless though this is seldom the case; we can dream right

supertap by waves is my go to for quick and easy delay
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

I love my SoundToys plugins, especially FilterFreak and Echoboy.
But please do yourselves a favour and check out the Fabfilter products.
Timeless (delay) and Volcano (filter)...
No TDM yet, though
Hakan
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Had a drummer in the studio today who plays for a band that's probably South Africa's biggest export ever. Anyhow we where editing and prepping tracks for mixing of a marimba ensemble that includes vocalists, chants, digi, guits, drums and perc.
So this guy is a serious drummer/percusionist and he's not happy with one of the conga parts and is anti tightening up via quantizing so I decide to tab to transient chop and quantize the part and then add some EchoBoy using the swing function, he just smiled from ear to ear.

Only got the bundle this week and have used on stuff from Hip Hop to House to World music and other style and I am amazed at how easy it is to get great sounding results. Mostly just using the presets we have achieved a lot - Can't wait to get some time to read through the manuals and do my own tweaks.
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

I just hope they get their fingers out and release them on VST for XP.
Filterfreak is fantastic; just the compressor/input stage alone is worth the money.

Unfortunately I only have the RTAS version for PT on the mac, and I use Nuendo on the PC these days...still waiting..
I'd buy the whole bundle instantly the day they release it!!!

Cheers,

Joris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search