The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving Sessions from PTHD to PTLE Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Moving Sessions from PTHD to PTLE

Quick question here about moving sessions from HD to LE

I'm at a studio right now, finishing up the vocal tracking process on an HD system.
There's 12 songs, and they range from 12-70 tracks, depending on the song

At my own studio I've got PTLE 7.1 on an 002R with the MPTK, so I've got the ability to deal with 48 tracks

How does LE deal with all the extra tracks above 48?

Will they just be made "in-active"? That's what I'm hoping.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

IIRC,

the extra tracks will not actually load into the sesion at all. Neither in the mix/edit windows, or the region bin.

You will need to submix some tracks. Will you be overdubbing some track in LE?
You are mixing on HD I hope....for the extra track count of course..
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
the extra tracks will not actually load into the sesion at all. Neither in the mix/edit windows, or the region bin
Damn, that REALLY sucks!

Can I import tracks from HD sessions into LE sessions?

We will be doing more overdubs in LE, and yes, I will be mixing at a studio with HD
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

))))))))))
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
IIRC,

the extra tracks will not actually load into the sesion at all. Neither in the mix/edit windows, or the region bin.
That used to be the case, but as of PT 6.4 (I think) everything loads up just fine. Any tracks after your 48 track limit will just be inactive.

A handy tip with the MPTK is that a stereo track counts as a single track. So make your overheads, pianos, room mics, etc, stereo tracks and you can squeeze a few more tracks in.

Also, if you're really desperate, you can combine things like snare top and bottom on a stereo track. Just pan them both to the same place and use the unlinked multi-mono trim plugin to balance them...this works on for multi-miced amps, etc.

Josh
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro Swift View Post
That used to be the case, but as of PT 6.4 (I think) everything loads up just fine. Any tracks after your 48 track limit will just be inactive.

A handy tip with the MPTK is that a stereo track counts as a single track. So make your overheads, pianos, room mics, etc, stereo tracks and you can squeeze a few more tracks in.

Also, if you're really desperate, you can combine things like snare top and bottom on a stereo track. Just pan them both to the same place and use the unlinked multi-mono trim plugin to balance them...this works on for multi-miced amps, etc.

Josh
Ya know,

I havent tried this since 6.2.3!

I have an LE rig in the other room....be right back!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post

Will they just be made "in-active"? That's what I'm hoping.

Yes.. from there you can enable what u need playing.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Albro is correct!

The tracks load, but they are inactive...... This is going from 6.9.3 HD to 6.4 LE.

Sorry for making ya sweat Benmrx!!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Very cool. Makes my life super easy

Quote:
I was getting ready to even put vocal doubles and harmonys on stereo tracks
Old 3rd September 2007
AFAIK, PTLE with the MPT works with 48 STEREO tracks (I've never had to push it this far). SO in theory at least, you could combine say BVs onto stereo tracks, and then if you needed to treat them individually, buss them out through 2 mono aux tracks (ie set output of stereo track to bus 1-2, then 2 mono auxes with inputs as bus 1 and bus 2 - to give you independent control). That way, assuming your computer is powerful enough, you could actually play back all 70 tracks, with independent control of each.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
AFAIK, PTLE with the MPT works with 48 STEREO tracks ... assuming your computer is powerful enough, you could actually play back all 70 tracks, with independent control of each.
Theoretically you could do 96 tracks that way, no?

Josh
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Theoretically you could do 96 tracks that way, no?

Josh
yeah , w/ "creative bussing" you can have individual control of up to 96 mono "channels"
Old 3rd September 2007

they are not actually inactive

they are just voice disabled

you just have to drag them above the lowest voice enabled track rather than actually having to specify an enabled state...
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is one of the best tips ever...PTLE with MPTK is effectively a 96-channel system. The only restriction is that you have to use multi-mono plugins or busses to do discrete things to the two tracks you've stuffed in a stereo audio track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danocaster View Post
yeah , w/ "creative bussing" you can have individual control of up to 96 mono "channels"
Since there are only 32 bus channels (Digi I want more!), you won't be able to get a full 96 spending all your busses this way. The multi-mono approach does work though. Of course not all plugins support multi-mono. In a real pinch, you could use a hardware insert I guess and come back on one of the channels via an aux input.

Also, you have unlimited aux inputs for other things. So you can rewire in more audio tracks from another DAW such as Ableton Live. Obviously my number one feature request for Logic Studio is being able to serve as a Rewire slave so I can bring those tracks and VIs into PT directly.

Combined this all makes what track limits there are in PTLE just a nuisance...you can make virtually anything work in realtime if you have to. And there's always submixing and assembly beyond that.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search