The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Power Humm From Laptop
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Power Humm From Laptop

I don't know if anyone has the same problem, but I get horrible noise coming out of my laptop through the USB or FIREWIRE ports when my laptop is connected to power. I currently have an HP laptop. As soon as I disconnect the power supply, its quiet. I am sure it something to do with the laptop being terribly built and not grounded properly as I didn't get this noise when I had a MAC Book.

So, anyone find a solution to take the noise out of the power?
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

No solution per say outside of getting an external usb or firewire based soundcard. It's seems to be a common problem on non-mac's. There are mixer settings to help lessen the annoyance, but it'll always be there. Perhaps putting a backup power/battery pack between the outlet and the laptop might help? But I wouldn't know as I haven't done that.

When I pipe my audio to my stereo on my laptop (extension cable(s) plus 1/8" to RCA adapter) it has the hiss, pops and crackle, even when the mic is off, and no sound is being piped through the card.

In linux, you can exit the gui and work from a console without the video driver loaded and that seems to help. In the gui, when you move the pointer, switch between apps or work spaces, it'll give it extra noise.

If you can get an amplified mic signal, you can lower the mic settings and lower the noise when you record. But it'll still be there in the playback, even if it's not that noticeable in the actual recorded track.

I'm currently using my new desktop with a high definition audio card. With the same cable configuration. And the difference is night and day. The desktop isn't half bad for an onboard chipset. At least I can record in stereo and at high sample rates now. But there's no mic boost to make my non-amplified mics record at a decent level for voice from a distance. I mostly record myself playing brass so that's not much of an issue. And the background noise is low enough that I can amp/normalize the tracks without getting as much clatter as my laptop.

HTH
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks..

Thanks for the response. I thought that was the case. I have tried everything with no luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search