The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Muse Receptor Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Muse Receptor

I wanna know if i can use plugins that logic doesn't support with this box
and if can install my exsisting plugins with it or do i have to use their own format of the vst's.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Go to plugorama.com That's the site that you can get all of your plug ins.

You CAN use existing synths...but you have to authorize them and install a "receptorized" installer....it's pretty easy once you do it once.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my receptor. Best thing I've bought synth-wise ever.

It does exactly what it says it does. Buy IVORY if you do pianos and that almost makes it worth the price IMO...it just takes anything you throw at it....never crashes.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

I agree! The Receptor with Ivory combo is almost worth the price alone. It's a shame the Italian Grand hasn't been ported yet. That was supposed to occur in the Receptor 1.6 OS upgrade, but apparently, Synthology is still working on it. But yes, no regrets with my Receptor; it's a great way to offload VSTi(s) from your host.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Guys what exactly is is thing supposed to do.

I understand instead of using your computer to run virtual instruments or VST plugs you can get the MUSE to do it - that part I get

How does integrate with your DAW. Do you just take a pair of stereo outs from the Muse and insert it to line level input on your rig ? I saw that there was ADAT connection, does that mean you can take 8 seperate out from the unit ?

What about latencies. I know that guys are using it live so the latenices have to be extremely low but what about integrating it with your DAW ? Does it show up as a plugin insert or do you treat it like hardware ?

How many simultaneous VI's can you run ? Assuming you can run more than 1 VI simultaneously is it possible to get run superate outs for each VI ?

Sorry if this hi jacking this thread but I didin't want to start another Muse thread and dilute the views to this one
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Addict

The box (Muse Receptor) lets you offload your VSTi's and effects on it rather than your computer.

Latencies are really low if you play it live (feed MIDI into it). It's about as low as can be expected. Certainly not a problem.

If you use it with your DAW, it appears as a mega-VST, the configuration of the VST state being the configuration of the Receptor.

I've not done much integration with the DAW, but it appears to work similarly to the Liquid Mix, and other hardware based plugins. They really create a VST that has x inputs, y outputs and a GUI. Sort of a black box.

I mainly use it as a super external synth module and effects machine. It works great for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Guys what exactly is is thing supposed to do.

I understand instead of using your computer to run virtual instruments or VST plugs you can get the MUSE to do it - that part I get

How does integrate with your DAW. Do you just take a pair of stereo outs from the Muse and insert it to line level input on your rig ? I saw that there was ADAT connection, does that mean you can take 8 seperate out from the unit ?

What about latencies. I know that guys are using it live so the latenices have to be extremely low but what about integrating it with your DAW ? Does it show up as a plugin insert or do you treat it like hardware ?

How many simultaneous VI's can you run ? Assuming you can run more than 1 VI simultaneously is it possible to get run superate outs for each VI ?

Sorry if this hi jacking this thread but I didin't want to start another Muse thread and dilute the views to this one
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Maniac
think of it this way....

The Receptor basically offers you a chance of never having to worry about your favorite vsti's and vst's becoming obsolete or incompatible with any new system, OS upgrade or new DAW sequencer's incompatibility. It gives you a chance at basically making your plugs into a pseudo-hardware reality. This alone is worth it. You don't have to worry about vst2, vst3 or whatever they come up with next to jack your wallet. Uniwire lets it show up as a mega plug in within your host. Even without Uniwire you can still use all the plugs via midi. Freakin' amazing if you ask me. We all have plug ins that we love and paid a crap load of money for. I hate feeling like a software company has me by the coconuts. Make my plugs hardware and it's just like your fave synths in a rack. It's kinda on the expensive side but think of it as a plug in archiving/protection from obsolescence. That's hot! I've been on the fence about this but the more I think about it and the more I see how I get jacked for plug ins the more this is beginning to make sense. Imagine the waves ssl in this light. Change your system? No probs..f*ck that WUP nonsense. You forever have that eq. Whether you pay for an upgrade or not would be at your discretion not at a hostage situation. Changing your hardware config is inevitable...but your hardware synths do what they're supposed to...they work and they're a physical reality. Props to them for this idea. Now the only thing i'm worried about is backing up the internal HD. There's gotta be a better way at doing this than sending your unit in. THAT SUCKS!!! Hd's fail at some point in time...I hope they sort that out soon.

YMMV..but I see this as getting 100 miles to the gallon!

lol
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Head

Love my Receptor!

I run it as a plug in DP and I have Trilolgy, Atmosphere, Stylus RMX, Ni Elektrik Piano and Disco DSP all running simultaneously into my lowly G4 dually and I haven't even touched the G4's CPU!

Sweet!
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Maniac

man. It does tons of stuff...I use it live as my main keyboard rig with a midi controller...I also use it for most of my synth sounds in studio...plus you can plug a gtr into it and use an amp modeler....if youre so inclined.

Lately I have been using it as an outboard effect unit...mine had the lexicon reverb installed...very good stuff.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

+1 Receptor love! I have the Receptor Pro. Use it for BFD, all the Spectrasonics stuff, Ivory, East West Platinum Symphony, and a bizillion other things. Good stuff.

The Zendrum with the Receptor makes BFD come alive for me.

Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Hi guys
How does this work in terms of polyphony? Does it have limitations?
I feel a weak point is the fact that it has 2 outputs.. what are your thoughts on that? Nearly all modern day synths have about 4 individual outs...what are its limitations? What is the sound quality/filter quality like compared to say an Akai MPC4000 or a Roland MV8000? or even a EMU Ultra 4xt hardware..does it have those strengths?
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Nut

Very well put sfere! I agree, it's a partitioning strategy that makes loads of sense. For me, I was approached it from the standpoint of "enterprise architecture" - sorry I'm a ex-software developer. Whenever you create a "system", it's good engineering practice to decouple key components. The benefits are illustrated in sfere's upgrade example. For me, the Receptor also extends the life of my DAW because of having offloaded so much of what would have otherwise required CPU cycles. My strategy is basically this: VST instruments offloaded onto the Receptor and VST processing plugs stay in the box.
Old 21st October 2007
Gear Nut

Receptor has a ADAT/TOSLINK connector as well, you're looking at the following outputs being available...

Stereo Analog
Stereo SPDIF
8 ADAT/TOSLINK

...that's 12 (2 X 2 Stereo and 8 Mono).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Hi guys
How does this work in terms of polyphony? Does it have limitations?
I feel a weak point is the fact that it has 2 outputs.. what are your thoughts on that? Nearly all modern day synths have about 4 individual outs...what are its limitations? What is the sound quality/filter quality like compared to say an Akai MPC4000 or a Roland MV8000? or even a EMU Ultra 4xt hardware..does it have those strengths?
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

sorry to bust your bubble, but the adat is 2 channels, they are supposed to update it sometimes ago.
Old 21st October 2007
Gear Nut

v1.2 and better should have all ADAT channels working, have you upgraded?

v1.2 manual page 93:

Use the Output Assignments panel to route the output of any channel to a particular hardware output or (for Channels 1-16, and Effects Bus 1 and 2) to the Master channel bus. Output routings are displayed in a simple grid, where a blue button indicates that an output is active and a white button indicates that an output is not active.
Receptor’s 19 channels, consisting of instrument channels 1-16, Effects Bus 1 (B1), Effects Bus 2 (B2), and the Master (M) channel appear in columns. All possible output routings appear in rows, and include:
• Master Bus - this is the default routing for the 16 instruments channels and two effects busses. When you route a channel to the Master bus, it’s output signal appears on the output(s) assigned to the Master (M) Channel. Click the Master Bus button beneath any channel number to turn the output on or off for that channel.
• Analog L/R + ADAT 1/2 - The Analog L/R and ADAT 1/2 outputs are duplicated on Receptor. Whatever appears on the analog output appears on the ADAT 1/2 output and vice-versa. Although you may route any channel directly to this output, Receptor’s Master Channel is permanently routed to the Analog L/R + ADAT 1/2 output. So, if you’re wanting to route some channels to separate outputs for submixing purposes, you’ll probably want to choose another output pair. Click the Analog L/R + ADAT 1/2 button beneath any channel number to turn the output on or off for that channel.
• ADAT 3/4 - You may route the output of any channel to ADAT 3/4. This is ideal if you wish to set up separate submixes or apply external effects to one or more Receptor channels. Click the ADAT 3/4 button beneath any channel number to turn the output on or off for that channel.
• ADAT 5/6 - You may route the output of any channel to ADAT 5/6. This is ideal if you wish to set up separate submixes or apply external effects to one or more Receptor channels. Click the ADAT 5/6 button beneath any channel number to turn the output on or off for that channel.
• ADAT 7/8 - You may route the output of any channel to ADAT 7/8. This is ideal if you wish to set up separate submixes or apply external effects to one or more Receptor channels. Click the ADAT 7/8 button beneath any channel number to turn the output on or off for that channel.
• S/PDIF L/R - You may route the output of any channel to the stereo S/PDIF output. This is ideal if you wish to set up separate submixes or apply external effects to one or more Receptor channels. Click the S/PDIF L/R button beneath any channel number to turn the output on or off for that channel.
To close the Output Assignments panel and keep your changes, click the Close button. To close the Output Assignments panel and cancel all changes made since opening the panel, click the Cancel button. To reset all Receptor channels to their default output assignments, click the Defaults button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
sorry to bust your bubble, but the adat is 2 channels, they are supposed to update it sometimes ago.
Old 22nd July 2008
Gear Maniac

21 questions (ok, 5) about receptor

so:

other gearslutz threads on the receptor are not so flattering ("i've got 3 friends with this box and they all hate it" etc etc) but here i'm seeing nothing but love... what's the truth? is it stable?

how well does it integrate with pro tools? anyone try it as a plugin on that?

also, how fast is it? would it be possible to, say, run guitar rig, traktor dj pro (theoretically, once they had it ported) and some mixing & mastering plugings on it all at the same time? maybe with a high end piano as well? lately i've been getting a lot of jobs putting together bands for hotels, and i'd love to have a nice $3k box i could set up and configure for each band, so i can just throw it at the personel and have their "sound" preconfigured. whaddaya think?

thanks guys!

ps. lexicon reverb? how'd you do that? i miss my old os9, pro tools 4 lexicon plugin, it sounded sooooo nice!

pps. no backup?!?!?!? surely that's getting fixed soon?!?!?

ppps. adding a 6th question, i don't want much do i? is there a decent workaround for more inputs? like, an adat 8 in/8 out rackmounted below the receptor or something?
Old 23rd September 2009
Gear Head

Seeing good comments on this post, bad on the other post Alternates to Muse Receptor for playing VSTs on stage?

Knowing this was last year, how is it now?

Precise questions:

1. Let's say I have 15 patches I want to play during a show, when I change patch, will it make a glitch, or take time when I change patch?

2. Can I change Patch with a pedal switch?

3 What is the real Latency? Anyone tested it? (Muse Research claims 2ms)

Thanks
Old 7th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapieuvre View Post
Seeing good comments on this post, bad on the other post Alternates to Muse Receptor for playing VSTs on stage?

Knowing this was last year, how is it now?

Precise questions:

1. Let's say I have 15 patches I want to play during a show, when I change patch, will it make a glitch, or take time when I change patch?

2. Can I change Patch with a pedal switch?

3 What is the real Latency? Anyone tested it? (Muse Research claims 2ms)

Thanks
Bump this

I'd like to know too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search