The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ProTools: advice please Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

ProTools: advice please

In the last year I went from Minneapolis studio owner to Arizona freelance engineer. Since I'm now freelance, I notice a lot of the studios around here utilize ProTools HD systems. I'm not very ProTools savvy. I was all analog up until a couple years ago before I integrated Nuendo into the fold. I like Nuendo a lot and I'm proficient with it but if I'm working a session elsewhere I'd like to be proficient with their ProTools rig.

I was thinking about getting something simple (and inexpensive) that would allow me to practice at home. I had a version of ProTools Free years ago but that's when it was available for Mac OS9. So I'm looking for the most inexpensive core system that would be a good learning tool.

I don't need a quality system or more than one input on an I/O. Would something like an MBOX w/ProTools 7 LE seem like a workable option? My understanding is you need to have at least one DigiDesign hardware I/O in order to run ProTools?

Like I said, I'm not using this for sessions, only to learn hotkeys and the idiosyncrasies of the PT software... acclimate.

Thanks in advance,
--Adam Lazlo
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I did the same thing about 3 months ago. I bought an MBOX2 Mini and shortly thereafter, I started interning at a studio that is all PT. I watch it being used everyday at the studio and I practice a lot at home. Matter of fact, I just finished reading the PT HD manual today. After 3 months, I can do everything I need to get a band recorded and mixed. Bear in mind, I went in knowing Sonar 6 very well. All the same stuff is there, just in different places. Did I mention I LOVE GROUP EDITING. Despite all the Digi-bashers' cries, PT really does rock.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

An Mbox is great for editing and basic mixing. with a music production DV tool kit you get 48 channels instead of 32. if you add a m-audio light bridge you can light pipe up to 18 tracks of audio to your PTLE rig. You can also get Digidesign M Powered Pro tools software and use a basic M audio interface as a "dongle". whatever works for you.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

The Mbox Mini would probably be a good deal, it's close to as cheap as it gets. Perhaps the M-Audio transit is cheaper, but you'll have to buy a copy of Pro Tools (M-Powered) to use with that. Pro Tools LE is included with Mbox Mini. There is not much difference between the two.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Yep, the Mbox Mini is your best bet. It's very cheap and you can run PT on it. Don't expect it to really be able to be a workhorse though. But it's more than fine for editing and getting used to PT
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

+1 mbox mini
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

i'm looking at getting a Mbox 2 Mini as a 'dongle' to use PT again for editing and mixing..... but is it any good? I had an original Mbox... i thought it sounded fine but it was sooooo unstable (PT6.4 and 6.7) that it was pretty much unusable. i swore i'd never buy another USB v1 interface... but by god it is so cheap that i'm tempted.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

yes, getting started with one of the LE or MP systems are good...

that said, if you can swing the $, i will still suggest getting a cheaper, used, older HD/TDM system. many are selling them on Craig's List with the whole package (with G4 or G5). reason i say this, is there are still many capabilities with TDM that is not present in LE/MP. if you want to be real good at freelancing where ppl are calling you, you'll wanna do your homework all the way.

it will save you headaches and studio time in the long run.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwerkn View Post
i'm looking at getting a Mbox 2 Mini as a 'dongle' to use PT again for editing and mixing..... but is it any good? I had an original Mbox... i thought it sounded fine but it was sooooo unstable (PT6.4 and 6.7) that it was pretty much unusable. i swore i'd never buy another USB v1 interface... but by god it is so cheap that i'm tempted.
I've had one of the original Mboxes for several years. Like most Digidesign stuff, you better know that your computer is compatible. I too hate the whole USB1 thing, but how much power can the Mbox Mini really need?
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

It might be overkill for your initial needs, but the Digi 002 Rack might be an option to consider. Since the 003 was released, you can get an 002 Rack for pretty darn cheap these days ($600-$700). More money than the Mbox Mini or Mbox 2 of course, but generally more stable in my experience. Way more options for I/O too. Just a thought...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search