The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PT - Time Adjuster < 4 samples DAW Software
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

PT - Time Adjuster < 4 samples

So the PT TimeAdjuster plug only goes down to 4 samples.

I have a couple plugs that i use on lots of channels that have 1 sample of latency.

These plugins are smack and massey ct4. So i use them in parallel compression sometimes as well...

Should I not worry about nudging these tracks since it's only 1 sample of latency? I still worry, and want it to be in phase... but I run out of CPU when doing the bypass workaround thing... Big sessions don't work well with that workaround.

How much time does it take for a signal to pass thru a piece of hardware? +/- 1 sample?

Why does the TimeAdjuster plug only go down to 4 samples?

What should a guy do?
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

1 sample isn't gonna kill you. What does it sound like when you listen to it? Can you hear phasing at 1 sample?

If you can, then just nudge the tracks that are off by setting the nudge amount to 1 sample.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

or put the 4 sample time adjuster on both channels and then set the original channel to 5 samples...voila!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkening View Post
Why does the TimeAdjuster plug only go down to 4 samples?

What should a guy do?
Shift the whole of the corresponding audio files back by one sample. Set the 'Nudge' function in PT to 1 sample and hit '+' on the numeric keyboard. Meaning all the files that don't have the offending plug-in inserted. Done. You cab always go back to the original value with the 'Spot' function.

Personally, I don't worry about 1 or even more samples of delay. But maybe I should...
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Don't bother about one sample...
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkening View Post
These plugins are smack and massey ct4. So i use them in parallel compression sometimes as well...
I just wanted to chime in and say that 1 sample can make a difference when doing parallell stuff. When you blend the exact same source but delayed by a few (or one) sample, you can get those weird phasey, comb filtery sounds...You don't have to line up all the tracks, just the one that you are using parallel compression on.

Sometimes I think that the plugins aren't reporting their delay accurately in the first place...so I'll try to get as close as I can (when doing parallel compression). If the plugin is just an insert, I don't worry about 1, or 15, samples.

Then again, read some of those Tchad Blake posts, having stuff out of phase might sound cool!

Josh
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, you're right Albro Swift, for parallel compression it can be an issue. And no, the delay is not always reported correctly. I'm not entirely sure where the problem lies, but a few plug-ins have had bugs that makes them report more delay in Pro Tools.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro Swift View Post
or put the 4 sample time adjuster on both channels and then set the original channel to 5 samples...voila!
brilliantly simply.

heh

thanks to everybody for their replies...

even though some people say don't worry about 1 sample, the mix SEEMS to tighten up when everything has been nudged/shifted/adjusted/accounted for. whether or not that's a placebo effect of the expectation is unknown. it seems to make everything a bit more focused, but maybe it's my imagination. some say "nobody can hear 1 sample of delay, i'll kick your ass for saying that" but i think you can feel it, if you're listening closely.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search