The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Maniplulating Samples For Country Music? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

Maniplulating Samples For Country Music?

Hi Guys,
Im thinking of using the likes of Sampleheads Whole lotta country on lower budget albums i will be working on for steel licks or fiddle or dobro. They seem to have this pretty well covered.

What i want is to import a steel lick i like, Use Sx's locaters to time stretch it the slight bit it needs to be in time like a 10 or so BPM move and then pitch it a semi or a tone.

Whats the practicality of this? i messed around for a bit there With some fiddle stuff and took in some Cajun backing which sat lovely in the track when time shifted but with pitch shifting it just lost its tone. Now bear in mind these were 192 khz mp3 files. Will this affect how the pitch shifting ends up?

It seems practical as the licks and loops themselves have great style and really suit the albums i am doing just wondering if anyone can reccomend the best way to approach this.

I know i will get the "Just dont do it get musicians etc" and if your thinking like that just look at this as a hypothetical situation.

Thanks for your help guys.

Dave
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

What are you using to pitch shift? Serato Pitch n Time does a good job of this kind of thing for me. Still, you will probably lose some details in the fiddle etc. but it may be passable. Definitely better than "Pitch Shift"

Good luck!

PS. Just don't do it, get musicians
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

thanks poncival,
I was messing a bit more today and if i move by a tone or so it just seems i loose a lot of quality. I record 16 bit wave files. i can go 24 no prob if it will make a major difference?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search