The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are ALL the 8-channel AD/DA converter options that have ADAT optical? Digital Converters
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

What are ALL the 8-channel AD/DA converter options that have ADAT optical?

Users of the Digi-001, 002, 003 need an 8 channel AD/DA converter unit with ADAT optical if they wish to have more than 10 AD/DAs on the system.

I know many use the RME ADI-8 etc... there's also the Apogee Rosetta 800.

Can someone post a list of ALL possible options that fit the bill?

And of all those options, which units are "best".

I know Lavry is well respected around here, but I believe they do not make an 8-channel unit with ADAT lightpipe.

Anyone out there doing pro level work with a Digi-001, 002 or 003? If so, what converters are you using?

Or, is there some type of digital mixer / combiner unit that would allow four 2-channel stereo AD/DA converter units (like four HEDDs for instance) to be combined and accessed altogether at once via one ADAT lightpipe?

Just trying to scope out ALL possible converter options for use with the Digi-00X systems.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey,
I surely don't know ALL but here are a few.
You have many options Beherenger to Weiss (not ADAT tho). You can look at the M-Audio Lightbridge that works with M-powered and will save you from buying the 00X system. It connects via firewire and It will give you 36 digital I think.

(in rough order of value)

Behrenger (way cheap)
M-Audio Octane (better)
Presonus Digimax (you get the picture)
RME
Lynx Aurora 8
Benchmark
Apogee Rosetta 800
SSL
Lavry
Crane song
Prism
Weiss
Of the listed devices, some are ADAT, some are SPDIF, some are AES, look it up.
Also look up the model numbers at the vendors sites.
With the Lightbridge, you can use 8 cheaper channels and 2 high end channels of many of the above via spdif. Others can chime in with how Pro tools will respond.
Do a search for 8ch, converters, adat etc.
Hope this helps.
SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
Users of the Digi-001, 002, 003 need an 8 channel AD/DA converter unit with ADAT optical if they wish to have more than 10 AD/DAs on the system.

I know Lavry is well respected around here, but I believe they do not make an 8-channel unit with ADAT lightpipe.

Anyone out there doing pro level work with a Digi-001, 002 or 003? If so, what converters are you using?

Or, is there some type of digital mixer / combiner unit that would allow four 2-channel stereo AD/DA converter units (like four HEDDs for instance) to be combined and accessed altogether at once via one ADAT lightpipe?

Just trying to scope out ALL possible converter options for use with the Digi-00X systems.

Last edited by studiogeek; 1st September 2007 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: never satisfied...... but done........like a mix
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Mytek also have ADAT optical on their 8-channel converters.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Best deal imho for 8 AD/DA is the Presonus Firestation.
Around 250$ used, 107 Db dynamic range, word clock sync and 2 decent preamps to boot... I have 4.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post

Get the M-Audio Light Bridge. it has 32 channels of light pipe i/o and it's compatible with PT LE/PTLE Mpowered

Connect that to a 16 channel Lynx Aurora 16 or Apogee AD-16X and you'll be able to send 16 channels of audio to your pro tools system.

With the Apogee Rosetta 800 192 or Lynx 8 you'll only be able to send 8 channels at a time.

You also can look at Mytec, Lavry, and Prism converters.

Last edited by walth; 2nd September 2007 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

i forgot to add that even with the light bridge you can only get 18 channels of I/O. PTLE Mpowered software will only read 18 at a time. unless anyone knows how to get around this.
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

don't forget sm pro audio, they have an 8 channel preamp with an adat option
and i think a straight up 8 channel converter w/ adat
Old 2nd September 2007
Mackie Onyx 800R.
Swissonic AD24. (also called Sonorus)
Creamware AD16.

There are definitely many more.
Old 19th September 2008
Gear Head

Sorry if this question is a bit nooby but this seems like the thread to ask it in...

I have an Apogee Ensemble and would like to get 8 extra analogue ins and 8 extra analogue outs out of it, using its adat connections.

If I bought an RME ADI-8 converter, would this convert the adat lightpipe connections on the ensemble into analogue ins and outs?

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search