The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help needed with my new DAW build
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Help needed with my new DAW build

I am about to build my new pc, and I could use some of your help and advice on the topic. I mainly need nelp selecting a good mobo, right now I am looking at the eVGA Nforce 680i SLI motherboard with a Q6600 cpu, then I am thinking that this board is very good for overclock, so maby I should just get an E6600 or e6700 and overclock it. But in the end it's the stability of the system that I am after so I am really not sure which way to go. So any advice on your part will be much appreciated.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Go for the Q6600, the price diference between the Q and E in near nothing.
This is a killer machine:

Mobo: ASUS P5KC
CPU: Q6600
PSU: CORSAIR PSU 520-HX
RAM: Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM PC8500 CL5.0 Dominator
HD: Western Digital Raptors or WD SE16 drives

You won't need to overclock, plenty of headroom. And if in the future you want to OC, this is a perfect MOBO!
You won't find better than this at the moment
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

NO ASUS!

try again

SCott
ADK
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Hello,

ASUS boards are not a good as they used to be. For a nice stable system I would go Intel P35 and if you need to overclok, then Gigabyte.

Just my opinion.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

yeah I've also heard that the quality of asus has gone down. yeah I'd also like to hear your opinions about the intel p35 board like the dp35dp.

backplay: for psu I am trying to find a be quiet! Dark Power Pro psu, I 've hear very good reviews about it, would 600W be enough? or should i go more power?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICA View Post
Hello,

ASUS boards are not a good as they used to be. For a nice stable system I would go Intel P35 and if you need to overclok, then Gigabyte.

Just my opinion.
Care to elaborate?

Did you just read it or do you speak of experience?

From my experience (and i build many), and almost everyone that build their digidesign machine Asus works just fine.

P5KC has the P35 chipset.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadavr View Post

backplay: for psu I am trying to find a be quiet! Dark Power Pro psu, I 've hear very good reviews about it, would 600W be enough? or should i go more power?
It is very quiet!

600Watt is to much, 520 is more than enough.
Don't know about dark power.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
e6700 and overclock
Why would you even need to overclock it?
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Why would you even need to overclock it?
I will overclock if I ever need the extra power, I don't want to have freeze and bounce tracks when I am running lots of cpu heavy vst's. In any case I have decided to go with a q6600 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Still not sure about the mobo though, I have narrowed it down to several boards, the asus p5w dh deluxe, which seems to be a popular choice, I've also been recommended the Intel DP965LT board which has a newer chipset and southbridge and seems to be very stable. then there are the p35 chipset board which i don't know much about. the Nforce 680i SLI motherboard seems to be a great gaming board, perfect for overclock, but I think it's not the best choice for a production pc...
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will overclock if I ever need the extra power, I don't want to have freeze and bounce tracks when I am running lots of cpu heavy vst's. In any case I have decided to go with a q6600 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Still not sure about the mobo though, I have narrowed it down to several boards, the asus p5w dh deluxe, which seems to be a popular choice, I've also been recommended the Intel DP965LT board which has a newer chipset and southbridge and seems to be very stable. then there are the p35 chipset board which i don't know much about. the Nforce 680i SLI motherboard seems to be a great gaming board, perfect for overclock, but I think it's not the best choice for a production pc...
If you buy the Q6600 make shure that you get the G-0 stepping, that is the new version, it uses less power, so produces less heat. The "old" version is called the B-3.

What ever mobo you buy, see that it is tested for audio!

What software are you gonne use?
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

I use both cubase and ableton live.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

DAW

I got a q6600 and a ASUS commado motherboard, with 3 UAD-1 cards running and NO ISSUES with Cubase SX3
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

hmm for some reason I overlooked the Asus Commando, after reading quite a few reviews, it seems to be an excellent platform with the 965 chipset and lots of interesting features, like the lcd display which is not necessary but can be quite use useful, the only downside that i see is that if I ever want in future to run dual gpu, I have to opt for radeon crossfire, unfortunately currently they don't support dx10, and I pretty much have already decided on an 8800 gts 320 which seems to be best card in it's price range, and it would make a perfect combo with a 680i sli mobo.

So I guess I am left with these two choices Assus Comando vs eVGA 680i SLI, any last advice?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

commando

The ASUS commando is good because it has FOUR old PCI slots, good for UAD-1 cards....thats the only reason I got that board..
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

wow, sounds like a nice gamer system there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search