The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I guess the time has come...
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I guess the time has come...

As I'm just getting into recording I've been enjoying the fact that I've so far been able to do that with my little laptop and not need a dedicated machine. However lately my little machine here is running out of gas so I see an upgrade in my future.

I kind of drool when I read some of the slick systems people have built and written about but I think on the "make vs. buy" part I have to go with "buy" just from a time standpoint.

Probably not mac for me, but maybe... I dunno. Looking for lots of power so I don't run into this problem again for a long time, and also want to be able to add lots of drives and ram.

As far as systems you can just buy off the shelf and be ready to rock and roll with quickly, are there any that are considered to be the best? Looks like the systems that are designed for gaming are pretty performance oriented - are those OK for audio?

I'm thinking desktop since I already have a laptop to use for everything else besides recording.

For you guys who really have put together kick ass systems... if you were to just buy a premade what would you get and why? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Charlie
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I would build (or buy) a system arround a quadcore : Q6600 for PC or a quadcore Mac Pro. That should give you enough horsepower.

Watch out for game PC's, they're mostly based arround a very powerfull single processor because lots of game don't use multiple cores. Audio applications do benifit of multiple cores.

What's your budget ?

Peter.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Ya... "what's the budget" is always a central question and I forgot to post that.

I wouldn't mind going a couple thousand for a new machine. I just had a look at the apple site and it looks like a mac pro set up with the faster processors is about twice that. I don't see going quite that far over a computer.

I couldn't see making the whole box but I wouldn't mind adding drives after the fact since they hook up so easy, and because through my work I sometimes have an opportunity to get some pretty good deals on drives. In fact looking at it in retrospect it's kinda dumb that I haven't got a bunch of dives hanging off of my laptop for audio. I guess part of the problem there is that I only have one firewire port on the current machine.

Charlie
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

charlie.
acer have a quad core q6600 out now for 900 buks.
ive been testing it out. pretty impressive. imho.
lots of expandability.
here it is...
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

add a second 7200 rpm 16 mb cache drive,
to record to.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

For less than $1000 you can get this : https://www.gearslutz.com/board/1470700-post2.html
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

or this thread
Sonica or ADK ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search