The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Automation Probs in LOGIC ANyone? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

UAD Automation Probs in LOGIC ANyone?

Hi Yall

I've been having a problem when automating UAD plugs in Logic pro 7.
Usually when i change a parameter on the plugin it stops my existing automation. (on the automation screen the automation IS there, it just isn't executing)

I have tried closing the turning the plug off, and on again and yet it still doesn't wanna know.

So far i've had this with the Neve 88rs and the Neve 1081 plugs.

Anyone else noticed screwy automation behaviour in logic with UAD?

I shall keep a peeled eye !

thanks Yall in advance
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybud View Post
Hi Yall

Usually when i change a parameter on the plugin it stops my existing automation. (on the automation screen the automation IS there, it just isn't executing)

I have tried closing the turning the plug off, and on again and yet it still doesn't wanna know.

thanks Yall in advance
Hi! Have 3 UAD1 cards in my G5, work with Logic7.
From time to time if the process is heavy on the G5, the automation give it up (for 1channel). Make a new start (reset the memory) and it works further.
The UAD1 cards work only with the older G5 (2004). Take the newest software from UAD.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
The UAD1 cards work only with the older G5 (2004).
Huh? Although there are documented issues with the UAD-1 and the AMD-8131 PCI chipset, it works just fine on ALL G5s.

More info here: Universal Audio | Support | UAD | Technical Bulletins | G5 Info
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBenz View Post
Huh? Although there are documented issues with the UAD-1 and the AMD-8131 PCI chipset, it works just fine on ALL G5s.

More info here: Universal Audio | Support | UAD | Technical Bulletins | G5 Info
I don't know excactly, but in my time i got my G5 type (2004) it was the last that work with UAD1. But surely they have a solution right now, but call or mail Universal Audio for your problem. They knowing better!
Hope that helps
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for your help on this.

To give a little more info on my system; Logic pro 7.2.? (whatever the latest version is)

Im running a mac pro 2.66, 4gb ram, Tiger 10.4.10.

The UAD software is the latest, again i forget the exact numeration but i think it 4.07 or something like that? Either way it is the latest one.

At the time of the automation failing there was only 1 track on the logic project so i do think it's a question of being over burdened.

Im not sure what Automation mode i was in, i just manually drew the automation points in the automation section of the tracks, one was to increase the HF gain on the UAD Neve 88rs, another was to decrease the main track volume and at the same time increase bus2 send to a UAD 1176 se.

It seems it's only UAD parameters that do not execute, it's not as if the actual data has been deleted, the automation window still shows the automation it just doesn't execute. It's really annoying because the plugs are just sooo good it is annoying not being able to utilize them.

I do welcome any advice anyone may have on this, especially if you have a similar setup to me. At the moment i have noticed this only in the Neve plugs, but i haven't really messed with the plugs that much in general as i have only been using the UAD system for about 10 days or so.

In case you were wondering the plugs i have been trying to automate hve been unlocked, so it aint a demo issue either lol.

Thanks again all
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for your help on this.

To give a little more info on my system; Logic pro 7.2.? (whatever the latest version is)

Im running a mac pro 2.66, 4gb ram, Tiger 10.4.10.

The UAD software is the latest, again i forget the exact numeration but i think it 4.07 or something like that? Either way it is the latest one.

At the time of the automation failing there was only 1 track on the logic project so i do think it's a question of being over burdened.

Im not sure what Automation mode i was in, i just manually drew the automation points in the automation section of the tracks, one was to increase the HF gain on the UAD Neve 88rs, another was to decrease the main track volume and at the same time increase bus2 send to a UAD 1176 se.

It seems it's only UAD parameters that do not execute, it's not as if the actual data has been deleted, the automation window still shows the automation it just doesn't execute. It's really annoying because the plugs are just sooo good it is annoying not being able to utilize them.

I do welcome any advice anyone may have on this, especially if you have a similar setup to me. At the moment i have noticed this only in the Neve plugs, but i haven't really messed with the plugs that much in general as i have only been using the UAD system for about 10 days or so.

In case you were wondering the plugs i have been trying to automate hve been unlocked, so it aint a demo issue either lol.

Thanks again all
That's is the same problem what i have, but if i restart the comp. the automation will work again. Nothing is delete all works again, but sometimes the automation is hanging up! I live with it!
Do you also delete the RAM memory?
A question beside : Do you record with 48kHz or 96kHz?
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
That's is the same problem what i have, but if i restart the comp. the automation will work again. Nothing is delete all works again, but sometimes the automation is hanging up! I live with it!
Do you also delete the RAM memory?
A question beside : Do you record with 48kHz or 96kHz?
In my ignorance i do not know how to delete ram memory LOL

Well i like to record at 88.2 so that i can go to 44.1, however im finding it near enough impossible to get stable performance with logic at that rate so most of the time i stick with 44.1
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I use UAD but not Logic. BayBud, you are using 4.7 UAD software? This was release just last week.

sdf
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
I use UAD but not Logic. BayBud, you are using 4.7 UAD software? This was release just last week.

sdf
Yes i confirm 4.7.

I think i might email UA and see if they have had any reports on this, perhaps they know of a workaround or hopefully they ar eplanning a fix (assuming it is something there end and not logics end)
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In my ignorance i do not know how to delete ram memory LOL

Well i like to record at 88.2 so that i can go to 44.1, however im finding it near enough impossible to get stable performance with logic at that rate so most of the time i stick with 44.1
So, if you work with Apple the highly most important knowing is how reset your memory!
Restart and reset (memory) of your Apple comp. can work miracles! I do this since 1998!
You start your comp. new (restart it). When the G5 comes down (before) he starts new, press the button Apple-alt-p-r. The important thing is that works, do this before the Apple restart new !
Once again, press first apple and alt button and immediately p and r and hold the button long enough until he restart new (hear the apple sound) don't take you fingers away from the buttons until the comp. restart three or better four times! Hear the apple sound, and than.... your memory are reseted. You will see your automation works fine! And this is medicine for all Apple programms!!
Sorry for my school english!
Hope you understand me
Good luck!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, if you work with Apple the highly most important knowing is how reset your memory!
Restart and reset (memory) of your Apple comp. can work miracles! I do this since 1998!
You start your comp. new (restart it). When the G5 comes down (before) he starts new, press the button Apple-alt-p-r. The important thing is that works, do this before the Apple restart new !
Once again, press first apple and alt button and immediately p and r and hold the button long enough until he restart new (hear the apple sound) don't take you fingers away from the buttons until the comp. restart three or better four times! Hear the apple sound, and than.... your memory are reseted. You will see your automation works fine! And this is medicine for all Apple programms!!
Sorry for my school english!
Hope you understand me
Good luck!
We normally call this "zappin the PRAM"!
Old 27th December 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi Yall

thanks Yall in advance
Babybud, did you ever figure this out because I am having the same problem. Although I haven't tried restarting my computer or zapping the pram I can't help but think that is not going to solve it as its not something that just starts to happen and then is corrected. The problem of the automation not responding while you add new automation seems to be consistent through out the card and plugs.

hmmm... guess i should call UA.

thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search