The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need some Suggestions for beefing up a G4 Audio Interfaces
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Need some Suggestions for beefing up a G4

I have a G4 dual processor dektop. Bought it 6 years ago to work on a Digi 001 system for offline editing. I just recently upgraded my Digi hardware to an 003 control surface. Everything works great on my new Mac Book Pro, but when I work off of my desktop, I get the spinning wheel everytime I try to playback. I also get a message suggesting to pump of my buffer. I am maxed out on my playback engine and still am having issues.

My G4 is a 867 mHz and has 512 MB of ram, dual processor. 6 years ago, it was awesome... now it's a little slow. I am not the most computer savvy person, so I need some help or suggestions on what to do or get.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Things I did to my G4 1.25 MDD:
  • Fill it to 2gb memory
  • Add extra 7200 (or faster) hard drive
  • Add a USB 2.0 PCI card
  • Upgrade your AGP card (if you're doing any graphics intensive work)
  • Add a Firewire 800 PCI card (if yours is lacking it)
  • Add the wireless/bluetooth cards
  • Add a dual layer DVD-r drive
Overall, it might just be good to consider that after you spend money on all of that, you could have bought a Mac Mini even, which WILL whip the G4 (even for graphics as my benchmarks went), or just use your Macbook.

You may also be able to upgrade to dual 1.42ghz processors.

It seems an odd concept to abandon your desktops, but I've realized there's almost nothing a laptop can't do as well, if not better than a desktop for most purposes. If I want SATA, just add an Expresscard/34 card. Or if I need super-low latency, just throw in a Symphony Mobile, etc...

I'm sure your G4 is a fine machine, but with 10.5 shipping within a month or so... I'd just keep to newer machines.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah man.

MDD G4 here too. Its a great machine with a big 2nd hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM.

Regards.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Buy a used G5 or save for a MacPro tower. Check the compatabilty documents @ digi's site, I doubt the G4 even quailifies for PT 7.....

Even if you upgrade the CPU, your bottleneck is the system bus and RAM. Its still going to be 133mhz, as opposed to 1 gigahertz or more!
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice... I will probably spend the cash and beef up my lap top rather than go through the hassle of using the G4
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know what PT 7 would do that PT 5 didn't do processor-wise. I mean really, what in PT7 takes up that much more processor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Buy a used G5 or save for a MacPro tower. Check the compatabilty documents @ digi's site, I doubt the G4 even quailifies for PT 7.....

Even if you upgrade the CPU, your bottleneck is the system bus and RAM. Its still going to be 133mhz, as opposed to 1 gigahertz or more!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search