The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi 001 and Mac's Digital Converters
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Digi 001 and Mac's

I am about to buy a digi 001 with PTLE ver. 6.4 and I also want to buy a powerMac to use it with. I need protools, and this looks like the cheapest way to get into a multi-channel recording. Later on I can buy a good converter and connect it to Digi via optical input. I am also buying a VTB 01 as a preamp, so I think everything should work fine.
I've read all the stuff about PT LE 6.4 system requirements on digidesign website. It says that I need at least a 800Mhz G4 processor. But I heard that you can use it with a less powerful Mac's.
If anybody had experience using PT LE 6.4 with a digi 001 on mac- please, let me know what mac you used with it, and how good it performed.
Thank you
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I just want to keep it as cheap as possible, so I will be able to spend more money on mics, preamps and external effects. I will probably top up the ram anyways, cause its cheap now.
btw- can you use two displays with protools le on mac? One for a mixer and one for main window? And what do I need for that?
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Hey Darm,

I'm still working with a DIGI 001 setup, hooked up with an Apogee AD-16X and a UA 2192.

It works great with PT LE 6.2.3 which is, if I remember well, the last update compatible with the DIGI 001 interface (I may be wrong though...) and a G4 400 Mac upgraded with a 1.4 Ghz card under Mac OS 10.3.5. (I had to operate a firmware update too)...

Keeping in mind that it's more a fine overdubs tracking solution than a suitable full mixing setup, you'll get a pretty cheap and reliable system...

I haven't explored the two screens thing myself so I have no idea about that...

Hope it can help a bit...

Olivier.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have never dealt with powermacs befre. How can you upgrade a 400Mhz mac to 1.4Ghz? What card are you talking about?
Does a digi 001 have a zero latency monitoring option?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

http://www.newertech.com/products/processor.php

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/pr...rds/index.html

Here are the 2 bigboys for Mac cpu upgrades...

You can run 2 displays in LE, in OS 9 even!!

I would say screw the cpu upgrades, and buy the FASTEST G4!! 1.42 dp if ya can find one.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yea, just get an already fast G4. You can find them. You should be fine on that level. The Digi001's stability beats the Digi002r's something fierce. For using in other programs it kinda sucked, but for PT it's good. The monitor section is poopy. In a serious way. Don't use it.

Dual monitors works great on macs, and will work out of the box with most G4s.

If you're looking for something more professional, but still cheap as hell- get a Protools Mix system instead of the 001. It's more expandable/flexible, and you can take the strain off your processor with the TDM cards. Also it offers more options for sync, etc... Just overall better, and cheap as hell right now. I've had serious thoughts of doing that myself for a PT system that would be acting as a tape deck only. No reason not to really. If you aren't using plugins (and don't need ADC accordingly) then it's an amazing tape system. HD is overrated.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darm View Post
I have never dealt with powermacs befre. How can you upgrade a 400Mhz mac to 1.4Ghz? What card are you talking about?
Does a digi 001 have a zero latency monitoring option?
My upgrade was a Gigadesigns card Giga Designs

The DIGI 001 has the Low Latency Monitoring function...

The PT Mix solution can obviously be a good way to go too...
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

correct me if im wrong but isn't it true that the PCI cards for a 001 won't work with a G5. kind of an unfortunate limitation
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, as far as a digi site says they do work with G4's only.
Mix system will cost me a lot more, I am getting a digi 001 for 250$ with the latest CD. PT mix as far as I found will be at least 1200$, and I simply don't have enought money now, I am just starting out I might consider that as an upgrade thought.
The only program I am planning to use is PT, cause my friends works at a big studio and they have TDM system there, and I really need that compatibility to check my mixes in their nice room, and maybe do a little mastering there (they got a TC system 6000, that I found is really easy to use for bringing up track volume without ruining it).
Now I am just looking at a G4 mac, at least 800Mhz, and I think that I will find one for 200-250$. And then I will top up the RAM and get a second hard drive for recording.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I had a 001 with a Dual 1.25 'Mirror Door' G4.

It was fine for audio but not great for running VI's.

Rule is, get the fastest Mac you can with as much RAM as you can, and you'll be good
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Darm, i've been using my G4 400 (w/1.4Ghz Card bought later) since 2000 with Digi 001. It is the most solid/stable system i've ever had. The machine still runs like new and i am amazed with it. You can run PT LE 6.4 on OSX 10.3.9.
That is the farthest it will go. Can't run on G5's and most of the newer software will require PT7 or Tiger. So, you have those kind of limitations.
I also use Cubase for those areas that PT lacks.

I will likely upgrade to a new Imac when Leopard is released. Mainly for video and animation use and keep my G4 but i may pick up a new mbox as well. You can alway upgrade the converters and pres which will give you a better sound then having the latest comp and digi interface.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

You were running PT LE 6.4 on a 400Mhz G4??
Right now I really have a problem deciding if I should spend money on outboard gear (preamp, microphone or converter) or invest that extra 200$ into a faster G4?
I can get a 400Mhz G4 really cheap, but I am afraid that It won't work with 6.4, as a Digi site keeps telling me.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

400Mhz is very slow. I was running PT 5.X/OS9 initially. The upgrade card i had bought a few years later made a huge improvement. Today, i would buy a used dual G4 if you can find one, then buy a single G4 chip with an upgrade. Back then, i saved the most money by purchasing an upgrade.

Also, i have found that with this older machine, OS9/PT 5.X had the most 'snappiest' response but i needed to run Reason/Live, etc, so i went to OSX10.3/PT6.4.

Do you already have a system? No, right? You should buy the mic-pres/converters after the comp purchase imo to get going.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

check craigslist you can find great dp macs for like $400-$600....and get the fastest mac you can afford....

my old and first system was a g3 400 and 001 and was a very solid system...but that was the best cpu money could buy when i bought it....

i have trying to recusitate my friends g4 400/001 system and it has been a nightmare....you have to have a very specific os and a very specific version of quicktime or pro tools le WILL NOT run using osx....

if your looking into using os9 stick to 9.1 and dont go with 9.2.2....and your system will be fine.... expect to 10-15 tracks while mixing with some plugs...which is fine if your cutting your teeth, plus that will give you some very good training at combining tracks, as you will run out of power and will need to mix with "stems", which is good skill to have....

if you are going to run osx...you NEED to get a better than g4/400 to make it all work.....

go to digi's compatibilty page and it will tell you what cpu/001/os combos work with each other.....good luck and pm me if you need help have questions as ive been going through this whole scenario lately.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I've been to their site, it says that you need a 800Mhz at least to run PT 6.4 on OSX with a digi 001.
So I guess I will be looking at 733Mhz and up, trying to find something cheap. By the way, what kind of hard drive would you use in this system? I got an external 500Gb ne to dump the archieved projects on, but I think that USB is not fast enough for audio, so shuld I get a firewire or an internal HDD?
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

I bought a WD internal and also put together a FW Oxford kit with another one.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've been to their site, it says that you need a 800Mhz at least to run PT 6.4 on OSX with a digi 001.
So I guess I will be looking at 733Mhz and up, trying to find something cheap. By the way, what kind of hard drive would you use in this system? I got an external 500Gb ne to dump the archieved projects on, but I think that USB is not fast enough for audio, so shuld I get a firewire or an internal HDD?
Get 2 internal drives + at least 2 Firewire external drives...
Old 1st September 2007
XJR
Gear Maniac

I have a Digi 001 that runs on a G4 733MHz with 1Gb of ram .... it's ok but I wouldn't want to run it on anything slower. You would actually be better off putting the 001 card in a PC, something like a P4 \ 3Ghz will let you run a lot more plugs than a G4 Mac. I've used my 001 in a Dell Dimension 9100 and it reliably runs 32 tracks across two harddrives with quite a few plugs spread across the session.

Protools mix is getting so cheap now that it's worth another look. A Mix core card and an 882 interface cost less than 400 Uk pounds from Ebay now, an even cheaper option would be the older D24 card, a DSP Farm and an 882. Both the mix core or D24 card will give you almost zero latency monitoring as well. The 001 has low latency monitoring mode that's effective but obviously bypasses the plugs.
The big benefit of the TDM cards is you can double your DSP just by sticking in another card.

PT 6.4 is the last release that supports all the above though, which is fine by me as 6.4 is stable as hell and seems to do everything most people could want.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I am of the Mix+ crowd here, lotsa bang for the buck. I started with a 001 at first and it was rock solid and very powerful for what I paid for it, but i'm a Win/PC guy and that's how I used it. I know you're talking MAC here and if your set on that, the G4 with the upgrades is the way to go. The most powerful systems for the 001 though, were the first AMD Athlon 64 PCs with a VIA chipset and PCI slots, capable of 32 tracks, 30+ aux tracks and tons of plugins/VIs. These were run with LE 6.4 which was the last version that supported the 001. Look over at the DUC under the massive thread for "Best Desktop PC" in the PTLE for Windows forum, the first posts on the orignal thread had to do with 001 a bunch and the AMD 64 systems for it. I don't want to get into a MAC/PC war here but there were no MACs capable of the power that the PC had and would still support a 001, one reason Digi went to a 002/firewire interface to support the newer, more powerful MACs. YMMV
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Man, there's alot of great advice here.
Another thing that will work with PT6.4 are the new Massey plugs!
Gotta give credit to Steve for that.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

hi,
i'm running a digi 001 WITH tiger, all the way up to 10.4.10!!!!!
you must use CAD 6.9.2.
cheers, DR9.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You were running PT LE 6.4 on a 400Mhz G4??
Right now I really have a problem deciding if I should spend money on outboard gear (preamp, microphone or converter) or invest that extra 200$ into a faster G4?
I can get a 400Mhz G4 really cheap, but I am afraid that It won't work with 6.4, as a Digi site keeps telling me.
A 400MHz G4 Mac will bog down with PTLE 6.4 and soon as your track count goes up, or if you use only a few CPU hungry plugins (even with a low track count). I used a 450MHz G4 for a few years with a Digi001. Once I upgraded PTLE to version 6.x, I had to upgrade the processor and increase the memory. I added a CPU upgrade card (1.0GHz, made by Sonnet) and bumped the memory up to 1.5 gigs. It worked well from that point on. Indeed, I still use the same Mac with a Digi003 now (although I took the memory up to 2 gigs).
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just got an 867 Mhz G4, thanks to everybody. Probably will go for digi 001 tomorrow
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Cool! Tell us if everything is working.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Contrary to what people are saying in this thread, the highest Mac OS that is Digidesign-qualified for Digi 001/PT 6.4 is 10.3.4.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

just bought a digi 001, looks nice, but doesnt have a rack ears. i guess I can make something for it.
Will try to get everything hooked up tuesday or thursday
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddykev View Post
Contrary to what people are saying in this thread, the highest Mac OS that is Digidesign-qualified for Digi 001/PT 6.4 is 10.3.4.
It may be indeed be "qualified" for 10.3.4, but have been using 10.3.9 without a glitch for a couple of years.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just posted it in another section of the forum, but I guess I can ask this `uestion here too, maybe anyone had experience with tascam us 224.
I got an good offer on it, and I am wondering if it will work with PT LE
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
never mind about that.
my 001 has never failed and runs in tiger - all versions, and every other osx u/d.
it's on 24/7/365 since mid 2000.
of course, i'm and alien from planet iGlok Sklar.
but then you knew that, didn't you.
DR9.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
oh, yes.
i forgot to add:

**** Digidesigndfegad

now, back to recording with my 001 and osx.4.10.

DR9

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search