The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Convertor Options..for my Motu PCI set up. Audio Interfaces
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Convertor Options..for my Motu PCI set up.

Hey Guys, I'm looking for a convertor set up to use with my DP-5 system in our "B" room.
We're running a G-5 with 2x Motu 2408 MKIII PCI interfaces.
I was wondering if any of you know of a good convertor that would work with this set up, or if there is any other viable options?
Looking for 24 channels, to start, but will eventually have to go to 48.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Black Lion

Dude, Just have Black Lion do the mods on the 2408mkIII you will notice a significant difference. Night and day difference to be exact.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

A good clock will help a lot as well, a lot of the suck sound that cheap converters give you is because the clocking isn't solid enough....
Old 30th August 2007
The HD 192's are pretty good, they give you 12 in and out balanced. I have 3 1296's which are the earlier version and they have been really reliable and sound fine. I'm looking into my tech doing an upgrade, but this rig has been solid, and I lock to a 2" all the time
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Let me explain.

Here's the deal guys...I should have explained further.
I've not been using the Motu convertors, I use the 2408 only as interfaces to get in and out of the computer.
I had been using 2 of my Radars as 48 channels of conversion with the Motu boxes...

There really us no reason for me to have the Radars running plus the extra noise, just to use the conversion, so I'm looking for some decent convertors with TDIF that will work with the 2408's I already own.

Any ideas....
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think the only stand-alone converter around that has TDIF outs is the RME ADI DS.
I've never heard one but most people seem to think they sound good. The 2408 also has ADAT ins, which most converters out there have, or have option cards for. If I were you I'd probably get an Apogee AD-16x and use the ADAT ins on the 2408 with the built in ADAT outs on the apogee. Supposedly, the AD16x is one of the best converters in existence.

-Bill
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Gonna have to take alook at Apogee

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the info.....I'm gonna check into the Apogee's....
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

You could stick an Alesis HD 24 XR in front for 24 channels of audio input, but you'd have to use something else for audio output, or reserve 2 channels of the HD 24 for DP output and mix ITB during tracking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search