The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hybrid ITB/OTB mixing: SAMPLITUDE 9 or CUBASE 4
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hybrid ITB/OTB mixing: SAMPLITUDE 9 or CUBASE 4

Ok, I know a lot of those VS threads, but this is concrete... I was used to working in Nuendo (2) and I am planning to buy my own new DAW in the next months... I was also "testing" Samplitude 8... Nuedno is very flexible and I know it well, Samplitude sounds great, but is less known to me, but internal FX highly surpass the Nuendo...

BUT - my foremost concern is - I am rapidly beginning to mix HYBRID - which I think is the already existant future of studio work..

The QUESTION 1 (also to respected representatives of both firms):

Which DAW is better for hybrid approach? I know of the new features in Cubase - possibility to simply integrate Hardware into mix.

I NEED simple way to integrate HW inserts on channels (in Nuendo 2 you cannot do that - you have to work around) I know Cubase 4 can do that - insert HW compressors, etc... And also the new CONTROL ROOM - is something comparable in Samplitude 9 and can you insert HW compressors on separate channels...? This is really IMPORTANT to me.

QUESTION 2: are the improved EQs and internal FX in Cubase 4 on the same level as in Samplitude? At least the formerly BAD channel EQ, which (at least judging by GUI) must have been improved?

So another VS thread - but really concrete issues... HARDWARE integration is of most importance - I could live with my UAD-1 and HW and without the internal FX from Sam or Cub if one of those has better HYBRID possibilities...

I must admit I am leaning towards Sam because of the sound and some nice internal features, so If it does not provide hybrid integration on the same level as Cubase 4 - are there any plans for a very recent upgrade of those functions??

HW insert, flexible HW outboard routing integration, sidechain compression routing, control room features are on a wishlist - which DAW can or will do that better?

Sorry for a lot of questions, but it is an investment that will decide the workflow of my studio for some years to come...

best to all

P.S. Don't advice me to buy a summing box with inserts if it can be done already in the DAW...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

listener.
youll have to run tests to see how well this works for you.
some folks are useing reaper to integrate outboard hardware.
if u want to try the demo and see how well it works for you.
Cockos Incorporated | News
i do everything ITB. so run your own tests.
and peruse the reaper forums cos some folks are running pretty fancy set ups with reaper.
one advantage is no dongles and there are a host of others.
to see reaper running on 8 processors is a lovely thing to behold.
very exciting stuff.
i would draw your attention to the v flexible routing and the huge built in fx suite,
as well as the fact lots of people like the various EQ and compression facilities.
even convo reverb built in .
be open minded and try it. to save me typing.
cos the feature list is v large.
one other interesting aspect if u check is the running from a usb drive feature.
which some find usefull moving around a lot.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanx, I will look into it, although I am not so open to totally unknown things to me - I don't have a time and the will to be a beta tester... But I will sure check it, you never know...

Anf still - nobody could tell anything about that subject? Hybrid possibilities in Samplitude and Cubase? And sound quality of the new Cubase engine and channel EQ compared to Samplitude... BUt foremost - HW insert possibility in both?

thanx for any input...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Not a single one hint or tip about those two programs and hybrid approach?

Ok I will go the loooong way and research the dedicated Sam and Cube forums...

peace

P.S. Reaper does really look good with all those routing possibilities, but the whole thing is still looking like too much beta testing for my taste...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I will say this...I use a hybrid approach, and find the object based editing in Samp suits this alot. HW insert support is on the cards, and soon. I understand this is the reason they introduced the new engine.

Nathan
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Why don't you upgrade to Nuendo 4 when it is released? (Should be very soon, maybe this month). With Cubase/Nuendo you have the ability to treat your external hardware like plugins, and the engine will automatically compensate for the delay by 'pinging' the round trip time to your hardware.

If you're mainly interested in integrating your external hardware and you like the control room features, plus you already own Nuendo, seems like the right choice.

BTW, the new channel eq in Cubase 4 is much better then the old one, its actually usable now.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Why don't you upgrade to Nuendo 4 when it is released? (Should be very soon, maybe this month). With Cubase/Nuendo you have the ability to treat your external hardware like plugins, and the engine will automatically compensate for the delay by 'pinging' the round trip time to your hardware.

If you're mainly interested in integrating your external hardware and you like the control room features, plus you already own Nuendo, seems like the right choice.

BTW, the new channel eq in Cubase 4 is much better then the old one, its actually usable now.
I just decided today to do that...

Thanx.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

I cant answer all of your questions specifically but I am using Samplitude 9 essentially as (someone put it this way) a "smart tape machine". And it works great for me. Samplitude is very flexible and I think the included effects are outstanding. I have been using Samplitude for a quite a while now and have been VERY happy using it with an outboard mixer.

Sorry for the vague praise, but I just thought i would throw in my 2 bits.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you anyway.... My decision has been made... Nuendo 3 and then 4 it will be... I think HW insert option is great, control room features, etc. User friendly logic and mixing logic similar to HW studio logic - if I stay mainly ITB and only insert a couple of HW inserts... So I stay with Nuendo - also the sound is great... don't think Samplitude is so much better soundwise... But it is also a great programme as far as I know it. And some of the internal plug-ins in Samplitude and EQs are really outstanding - but on the other hand - I love my UAD-1 plug-ins... too many options are sometimes counterproductive...
OK - Nuendo it is.

best

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search