The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Duende vers. 2.1 update ... FINALLY STABLE!!!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Duende vers. 2.1 update ... FINALLY STABLE!!!

Been avoiding my duende for a while (just too unstable) ... relying on UAD stuff and recently Neve channel strip (very very good + low DSP strain) ... I downloaded the Duende 2.1 update 3/4 days ago ... Its not blinked once under heavy use ... unheard of b4 ... maybe, just maybe SSL have sorted Duende out ... V.Happy ... Duende+UAD Neve channel strip (3 x UAD cards) is all you need .....
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nice! What program are you running?
Old 30th August 2007
Solid State Logic

We worked crazy hard to get there.....
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We worked crazy hard to get there.....
is it finally working ok?

I will go and buy one
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Nice! What program are you running?

Logic Pro on a Dual G5 2Ghz, 3 UAD cards in a Magma Chassis, RME FF800 or Tascam FW1884+2xFE8's ... All good
Old 30th August 2007
Solid State Logic

And let's be fair, it probably wouldn't have worked too well on a system that loaded before.

We know that the drivers of Duende have not been quite as stunningly good as we would have liked them to have been previously, but we are really confident with the latest release.

As always, there is the caveat about FW bandwidth, but the R&D team at SSL HQ have been working thier socks off to nail this. We think we're there (although there's bound to be some smartass running the most maxxed-out system who proves us wrongheh)
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

jim, ur presence here is very much appreciated ... thanks
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I wonder how it performs alongside Lacie drives streaming audio at the same time to Logic..

Maybe not explained well... i have my samples and audio parts playing from external Lacie FW drives chained together, could i use a different FW socket on my G5 to use Duende as well happily at the same time? I also have two UAD cards in my machines PCIx slots...

If Duende will work alongside my present setup i really want one!!! I don't know whether this is considered too maxed out?

Sorry for my ignorance...

Zz.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Duende HAS to b on a seperate FW bus. Mine's connected via a PCI FW card ...
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
Duende HAS to b on a seperate FW bus. Mine's connected via a PCI FW card ...
That's just false information. It does not HAVE to be on a separate bus. There are many people, including some friends of mine, who are having no problems whatsoever on a firewire bus that is shared with a hard drive.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
(although there's bound to be some smartass running the most maxxed-out system who proves us wrongheh)
Or some people who have optimized their systems, kept them lean, and still have problems... Hey, you asked for it.

By the way, I've switched to a buffer of 256 samples and it has stabilized Duende quite well, even before the newest update. SSL has recommended 1024, not less, but that information doesn't seem to be accurate. I have multiple machines that are only stable at this lesser buffer.

As soon as ProTools is proven smooth with OS 10.4.10, I'll update the Duende as well.
Old 31st August 2007
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla View Post
I wonder how it performs alongside Lacie drives streaming audio at the same time to Logic..

Maybe not explained well... i have my samples and audio parts playing from external Lacie FW drives chained together, could i use a different FW socket on my G5 to use Duende as well happily at the same time? I also have two UAD cards in my machines PCIx slots...

If Duende will work alongside my present setup i really want one!!! I don't know whether this is considered too maxed out?

Sorry for my ignorance...

Zz.
There seems to be a conflict with Lacie drives - something to do with FW chipsets. This is listed on our FAQ site.

And even though your Mac has 2 FW ports - it only has 1 FW bus.
Old 31st August 2007
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Or some people who have optimized their systems, kept them lean, and still have problems... Hey, you asked for it.
Yup - I guess I did
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I like using Duende as a tool - also the Drumstrip but it is still the most unstable element of my DAW (Cubase SX3, Cubase 4) - even with 2.1. (although not sure if I did the update right - I can only see "2.09")

Especially sometimes (often) the tracks where Duende is pluged in simply stop to playback unless I deactivate Duende.
Sometimes it helps to close down and start again Cubase. Sometimes I have to start the PC again. It can happen also that I can work the evening without any troubles - but no so often.

Duende is my only Firewire piece of equipment
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
That's just false information. It does not HAVE to be on a separate bus. There are many people, including some friends of mine, who are having no problems whatsoever on a firewire bus that is shared with a hard drive.
... was meant as advice ... something as powerful as SSL Duende deserves to b on its own bus, don't ya think ?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
... was meant as advice ... something as powerful as SSL Duende deserves to b on its own bus, don't ya think ?
Yes, I completely agree, but there are a lot of people who simply can't work this way and I don't think it's right to say, definitively, that it HAS to be on it's own bus. It doesn't.

Maybe "Duende SHOULD be on it's own bus" is the better statement, which sounds more like advice and not a statement of fact.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Logic Pro on a Dual G5 2Ghz, 3 UAD cards in a Magma Chassis, RME FF800 or Tascam FW1884+2xFE8's ... All good
Did your G5 come with a 16x DVD drive? 4 gig RAM capacity? I have this machine and heard the internal PCI buss is slow. I have pretty much the same system you have. What PCI firewire card did you get? Also, are you able to use a SSL strip followed by a UAD plug on a channel with no pops or clicks at the initiation of the audio file playback?
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac
Hi all!

I'm running a single processor 3,4Ghz, Asus P4C800e mobo...I have 4 UAD cards, Powercore FW and RME Fireface 800...DO you think that it's possible to get Duende to work stable on my system or am I trying something that's impossible? I don't have any more free PCI slots so I can't put another FW card to the machine...Powercore is now plugged in the MoBo internal FW port and I have a separate FW800 card for the Fireface. Do you think that Duende would work connected to the Fireface or is there any other way to get this system to work?

-- Mikko
Old 2nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane View Post
Hi all!

I'm running a single processor 3,4Ghz, Asus P4C800e mobo...I have 4 UAD cards, Powercore FW and RME Fireface 800...DO you think that it's possible to get Duende to work stable on my system or am I trying something that's impossible? I don't have any more free PCI slots so I can't put another FW card to the machine...Powercore is now plugged in the MoBo internal FW port and I have a separate FW800 card for the Fireface. Do you think that Duende would work connected to the Fireface or is there any other way to get this system to work?

-- Mikko
geeezus.. you are my new firewire hero

you can try it, maybe you will have the first burning firewire bus

Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Does anybody uses Dunede with Samplitude?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I use a Duende together with a FF800 on the same internal bus of my dual G5. It works fine here thumbsup
Tho every system is different of course, so a dedicted FW bus stays recommended. But if you don't have one extra FW bus, it's worth trying to see if it works on a shared bus, it might well do
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
geeezus.. you are my new firewire hero

you can try it, maybe you will have the first burning firewire bus

Not true.... I win that award.. A few years ago I literally set my firewire bus on fire. I have (for posterity of course) a repair tag from that time where under 'Description of failure:" it says "Spontanious Drive Combustion"

The unit was replaced without a single question ;-)
Old 8th September 2007
Is Duende working with the RME FF400 now? It used to be not supported.
Old 9th September 2007
Nobody? I guess ya all using the 800....
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
There seems to be a conflict with Lacie drives - something to do with FW chipsets. This is listed on our FAQ site.
Jim,
I just saw this... Are you working on a fix for this or is it out of your control?
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

This is something i VERY much need to know also.....

Zz.
Old 10th September 2007
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Jim,
I just saw this... Are you working on a fix for this or is it out of your control?
Our chipset and their chipset don't seem to be friends. We can't change ours.

Used on a seperate bus they should be OK, but using FW drives for streaming audio may cause issues.
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Addict

I had to get a PCI firewire card for my pc, but it is running great right now.

Jim, I love this unit. It sounds so freakin good!!!! I'm using it with Cubase SX3 and it seems rock solid at the moment.
Old 22nd September 2007
mpw
Here for the gear

Quote:
Our chipset and their chipset don't seem to be friends. We can't change ours.

Used on a seperate bus they should be OK, but using FW drives for streaming audio may cause issues.

Jim,
What mfg's firewire chipset has SSL used in Duende?
Mike
Old 23rd September 2007
Solid State Logic

We use a DICE chip.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search