The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools colours Channel Strip Plugins
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Pro Tools colours

I keep seeing screenshots of the Pro Tools mix window where the channel strips are coloured in, presumably as visual aid for groups etc. Can someone tel me how to do this. Thanks.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Are you running Pro Tools 7.3?
Check the manual under colors, it will give you detailed info about it.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

In Pro Tools 7.3, double click the color at the bottom of the channelstrip (over the comments) in the mix window. This will open a color window. Hold all three modifier keys (on Mac that is command, option and control) and click and hold on the color window. Now drag the cursor up (still holding the click and the keys) to get color, down to turn it grey again. Once you have color you won't stand the ugly grey interface
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

by the way...

i think the colors in protools are UGLY

don't know why, there's plenty of them but whichever i pick for waveforms they don't look good

Old 5th September 2007
Here for the gear

thanks so much

I've been trying to figure that one out for awhile. So much easier to see what's going on.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Nice one!

Kore.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I find colours to be very distracting.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Funny, I find the colors very helpful. More importantly I find the old grey mixer horrible looking when turning it back! Pro Tools has to be one of the ugliest DAWs out there, save Digital Performer heh
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Funny, I find the colors very helpful. heh
I agree...blue is drums, yellow is bass etc...each instrument or group has always the same colour...ok not beautiful, but very helpful and essential!
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
I agree...blue is drums, yellow is bass etc...each instrument or group has always the same colour...ok not beautiful, but very helpful and essential!
no no no

drums are yellow! heh
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Cool To be Blue

Drums are Blue..It is written somewhere..i think, therefore...Dammit.
I love the Color Coding, it makes a quick look at the Screen So much more helpfull and intuative, Something about Colors and Sounds together i guess..

BV's are pink
Old 29th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
no no no

drums are yellow! heh
agreed
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
no no no

drums are yellow! heh
WHY?
that mut be stupid hard to veiw the waveform.

I like red drums, blue bass, dark green guitars and orange vox, anything & everything else can be purple, pink, brown ect, as long as its all grouped and colored propper...., and my mix return track is lime green.
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower View Post
WHY?

I like red drums, blue bass, dark green guitars and orange vox, anything & everything else can be purple, pink, brown ect, as long as its all grouped and colored propper...., and my mix return track is lime green.
Pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, green clovers. They're magically delicious.

I have become so dependent on colors that when I open a session that isn't color coded, I am completely lost.

blue drums, brown bass, teal guitars, orange keys, mustard orchesral, bright red for lead vocals, shades of pink to purple for various BGs. Any Auxes or master faders have no color so I can quickly tell which channels aren't audio channels.

If a session is going to someone I don't like, then every track is bright yellow.
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

You're all wrong, drum tracks should have polka dots.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search