The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to connect 2 computers for use in Cubase (Mac) & Giga (PC
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Question Best way to connect 2 computers for use in Cubase (Mac) & Giga (PC

Hi all what is the best way to connect 2 computers for use in Cubase (Mac) & Giga 3 (PC)?
Can I connect without audio cards & midi using LAN or fire wire?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by todor View Post
Hi all what is the best way to connect 2 computers for use in Cubase (Mac) & Giga 3 (PC)?
Can I connect without audio cards & midi using LAN or fire wire?
As far as I know the best way you are going to be able to use them is to use midi and a digital audio interface. In the past I have basically used 32-64 channels of midi from my machine with Cubase running to another computer running Gigastudio to trigger it as an external sampler, and then run audio via lightpipe back into Cubase; so I effectively got 8 seperate channels.
The closest I have heard of what you're wanting to accomplish is FX Teleport (I believe was the name) which would let you run plug-ins off a second machine via LAN, but to the best of my knowledge there is no software that allows you to port audio from one computer and one piece of software into another computer and another piece of software. I would imagine this would get further complicated by the fact you are using two different OS...
If there is a solution to this I would love to hear it.
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Smile

Thanks I have to make decision what kind of interface to buy, I was trying to avoid buying 2 of them Maybe RME Firewire 800 for Mac(G5 quad) and some good interface for PC (PCI or firewire) any suggestions , I am going to use PC just for Giga.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by todor View Post
Thanks I have to make decision what kind of interface to buy, I was trying to avoid buying 2 of them Maybe RME Firewire 800 for Mac(G5 quad) and some good interface for PC (PCI or firewire) any suggestions , I am going to use PC just for Giga.
I would recommend something with an ADAT lightpipe, maybe get something used, like an RME digi96 or something to that effect, I have an older PCI based Multiface and it works excellent on my second giga pc. I assume you probably haven't setup Gigastudio on the second computer if you don't have an interface yet? If so, look around as Gigastudio is very very very picky about your hardware setup. Also be warned about how it uses the system memory and the way to configure it. If you use that PC for anything other than gigastudio you will likely either have the other programs running like crap or you won't get as much out of GS3. It has something to do with the way it accesses the kernel, it goes around windows and uses the system directly, but it really f*'s up everything else... compromise.

You'll also want a 2x-4x midi interface on both systems depending on how many tracks you need to trigger off of Gigastudio. I can easily use up to 40, so I have 16 channels on my multiface and 32 on a little m-audio midi hub. those can be picked up pretty cheap now days too as more and more people are jumping off the external midi gear bandwagon...

Be sure to check out Gigastudio - northernsounds.com for GS3 tips and tricks. You will likely find me in there somewhere a few years ago freaking out about why GS3 was only using 700MB of my 3GB of memory... stupid. Happens to everyone, you're lucky to get 1.2GB out of it.
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks
Everything is new to me. Did not play music since I had Atari and old Cubase everything was easy to set up then. Now I have some extra time tried to install Giga pc just crashed then discovered that has plenty of issues to be careful about. Any additional help and information would be great

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search