The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amplitube 2 - REALLY processor hungy? Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th August 2007
Amplitube 2 - REALLY processor hungy?

Hey all,

Didn't know if anyone else has problems with this. I've got one of the last G4s - Dual 1.25GHz, 2GB RAM running PT7.3 on a 002.

I've just upgraded my copy of Amplitube (2 for 1 deal from IK till end of august) from the one that originall came with the 002 (not Amplitube LE - it's one of the early packs, with a full copy of the original Amplitube).

Now with the old Amplitube, I could run 3 or so amps live with a 64sample buffer, one instance of Kontakt or so and plenty of audio tracks without the system falling over.

With Amplitube 2, even at 128samples (the limit as to what I can play live to) even trying to play one stereo track back whilst having Amplitube 2 on an audio track or aux track results in the computer falling over with a "increase buffer size" error. When not playing, the audio is very glitchy.

In standalone mode, it just about works on a simple patch with 64samples. On anything complicated (eg the Edge preset) it glitches uncontrollably - and doesn't emit any sound at all.

IK tech support so far haven't been much use. Was wondering if anyone else is successfully running Amp2 on a G4, and if so what sort of performance you're getting.

CSR reverb (the second part of my 2 for 1 deal) is great, and seems to work with no problems. I've not got any problems running Kontakt, TL Space or any other number of recently developed plugins.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm sorry man, but I think the G4 is just too old. Amplitube 2 is rather hungry, but on a newer computer you will have a whole different performance.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Ampl 2 is a pig on older systems. I had the same problem

It is my favourite Amp Sim software. I have a Dual - Dual Core Opteron 280 setup (used to be the $hit heh).

When I was trying out Reaper they have a neat little function which lets you know what percentage of your CPU that each plug in is using.

On my system each instance of Amplitube 2, at a latency of 1024 samples, was using 3.5% of my CPU. Keep in mind that this number will change from system to system and will vary according to your latency settings.

Hope that helps, cheers!
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Yeah, Amplitube 2 is a processor vampire.

I have the same G4 and for the longest time I didn't even bother loading the plug-in because it would kill my cpu.

I use DP by the way. Now that I recently upgraded to DP5 and it processes the plugins offline, I can actually use this plugin again.

My only suggestion would be to make sure that you use 44.1 sample rate. It will help with the processor spikes.

When I talked to IK's support team they basically laughed at me for trying to run it on a G4 even though they're spec'd for it on the amplitube box. I think they need to bump they're minimum requirement spec to avoid people getting screwed.
Old 28th August 2007
jje
Gear Nut

To echo what everyone else said...yes it is stupid processor hungry on older systems.

As a tip, make sure you go to preferences on the bottom and turn OFF the oversampling boxes (I think there are four - one for each element of the program). That can help ease the burden.
Old 29th August 2007
Yeah, I'm already using 44.1...

I guess I'll just have to use the older version whilst tracking, and when mixing with higher buffer sizes, maybe I'll be able to use it to process then.

I told IK they should update the min specs too - I've been impressed with their tech support in the past, but they've been less than helpful this time. The last email came back "I don't have any specific recommendations for PT, just try different settings". Yeah...thanks.....

A G5 update is on the cards when finances allow...which won't be anytime soon!

Thanks everyone, you've pretty much confirmed what I thought.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search