The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plug-In for Console "Glue"? Studio Monitors
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Plug-In for Console "Glue"?

I've heard this concept thrown out here and there - putting a channel strip plug on every channel to emulate the process of running everything though a console, giving a sonic stamp or "glue".

Anyone had success with this? What would you recommend?

Alex
Old 28th August 2007
M2E
Lives for gear

I recommend the Waves SSL. You can do this with the RTAS plugins which are native or if urrr using PTHD than get the TDM.
I mainly just use the HPF/LPF on the channels and the compressor. Very rarely use the EQ but, maybe on the kick and snare. I EQ with compression most times to get what I want to hear and to get that SSL compression sound. The gate iz lovely as well!!!!
On the Master, put the Waves SSL G-Buss Compressor on it and urrr off.

Great plugin to do this with. Try the demo. You also might want to try the API's while urr at it. I'm going to try them as well. Haven't got them yet.

Hope this helps...

M2Eheh
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Waves SSL will still give an analog character when plugin's instantiated but not tweaked; thereby contributing to the "glue" character. hence the "analog in" switch.

i'd i assume the same for API plugs as well.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

And what about Nebula (preset analog channel)? I really dig it! (I use it as parallel processing because 100 percent wet is too wet for me, it sucks transients too much)
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanervoza View Post
I've heard this concept thrown out here and there - putting a channel strip plug on every channel to emulate the process of running everything though a console, giving a sonic stamp or "glue".

Anyone had success with this? What would you recommend?

Alex
I think I saw someone from McDSP suggest that you could run Analog Channel AC1 on each channel. It is very CPU efficient and have emulations for a couple of boards among other things. I haven't tried it, but it could actually be a cool thing to do.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
I think I saw someone from McDSP suggest that you could run Analog Channel AC1 on each channel. It is very CPU efficient and have emulations for a couple of boards among other things. I haven't tried it, but it could actually be a cool thing to do.
don't believe the hype.
Old 28th August 2007
I usually throw PSP Vintage Warmer on every channel, Massey's TapeHead on every group and submix and then Digidesign's Reel Tape Suite on the Master - now that's some glue right there!

the tortoise
Old 28th August 2007
+1 for Waves SSL.

The G buss comp isn't for everything, but when it works, it's amazing.
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tortoise View Post
I usually throw PSP Vintage Warmer on every channel, Massey's TapeHead on every group and submix and then Digidesign's Reel Tape Suite on the Master - now that's some glue right there!

the tortoise
dude, either you have a SUPERCOMPUTER or you mix with very few tracks...

PSP VW 2 is a CPU HOG on my Macbook 2Ghz...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

URS CSP, or Tritone Digital Colortone Pro, or airwindows channel. The waves emus will do it too, URS CSP is my favorite.
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post

Well, I've got an AMD 64X2 4800+ with 2GB of RAM and I'm usually running LOTs of tracks and VIs too in PTLE 7.3. Never really push it past 50% CPU, even with 40+ tracks and tonnes of plugs and automation.

However, I've got PSPVW version 1, so maybe there's a difference there. I know that the latency shot up from 511 to 2000+ samples so maybe the CPU usage did as well?
Old 28th August 2007
damn dude, I can't even imagine my macbook running DP and having 40 instances of PSP VW...
I'll do a test later and see how many instances I can get!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

the tortoise
That's hardcore! heh
Alright, now you've guys done it, I have to try to mix a song like that! I think I'll go with Analog Channel, DaD Tape, Reel Tape and some colored EQ on every track.

If only a computer could handle Channel G on every track heh
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear
The Waves SSL is my favorite. The compressors are cool, the EQ has a vibe and the gate is great. I just mix with those now because I wanted to simplify how I was doing things..I noticed an improvement after the first mix.
Old 28th August 2007
Okay, Okay, I admit that it's not on every channel, just anything that's going to the master bus. So that's all group auxes and most tracks in the mix (vocals, guitars, bass, VIs etc.

Obviously, little shaker or percussion tracks and the like don't need it, but I
usually shove it on everything.

Combined with the colour from the Massey and the subtle glue
from the Reel Tape it's a winning combination. That's the beauty of ITB composition/mixing - you can dial in as much colour of whatever flavour as you need!

I love my DAW.

heh

Peace

the tortoise
Old 28th August 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Waves SSL is really great but URS classic console strip has kinda blown it away for me. I used it as the channel strip recently for everything on this one record. Glue for days. Not an easy feat ITB but super easy with the CSP. Impressed the hell out of me.
Old 28th August 2007
guys, can I hear anything you mixed using this setups???
if it's not a problem...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, Okay, I admit that it's not on every channel, just anything that's going to the master bus. So that's all group auxes and most tracks in the mix (vocals, guitars, bass, VIs etc.

Obviously, little shaker or percussion tracks and the like don't need it, but I
usually shove it on everything.

Combined with the colour from the Massey and the subtle glue
from the Reel Tape it's a winning combination. That's the beauty of ITB composition/mixing - you can dial in as much colour of whatever flavour as you need!

I love my DAW.

heh

Peace

the tortoise
yeah, that's what i thought... my MacPro 3GHz @ 24/88.2 can't handle 40 tracks of VW on every track.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I just got the ssl bundle and plan on doing that also, i like plugs but i want to just use one set and concentrate on the mix and not about the 300 plugs that might sound a lil better, i noticed i used to be like that and after a while it starts killing the vibe
Old 29th August 2007
An easy way would be a touch of Inflator + SSL comp on the master. You could use the Sonalksis SV-315 for this if you don't have an SSL emu.
Old 30th August 2007
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
URS CSP, or Tritone Digital Colortone Pro, or airwindows channel. The waves emus will do it too, URS CSP is my favorite.
I need to update Channel, because people seem to get such a huge kick out of it. It's nice to sell plugs too of course... maybe if I update Channel with some of the tech from my recent Character plugs, I can get people so totally thrilled that they will go buy some of my other plugs out of gratitude :D

'cos I get people saying Channel sounds BETTER THAN some of the character plugs- and really it's just that it's simpler, it does less. And people like the slew limiting effect.

Yeah, I'm gonna do it. Watch for announcements. And be grateful since it's going to be still FREE and earn me nothing but fans :D
Old 30th August 2007
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I need to update Channel, because people seem to get such a huge kick out of it. It's nice to sell plugs too of course... maybe if I update Channel with some of the tech from my recent Character plugs, I can get people so totally thrilled that they will go buy some of my other plugs out of gratitude :D

'cos I get people saying Channel sounds BETTER THAN some of the character plugs- and really it's just that it's simpler, it does less. And people like the slew limiting effect.

Yeah, I'm gonna do it. Watch for announcements. And be grateful since it's going to be still FREE and earn me nothing but fans :D
I'm a fan too...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post

Really? I run a 2.4 MBP and I don't find VW2 to be such a DSP hog...

I am still amazed at how much plugs I can run...
Old 30th August 2007
Rab
KMR Audio

+1 for Massey TapeHead on group busses... works a treat (and it's sooooo cheap)
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
colortone pro takes like 15-20% on my cpu... i think i could run like 100 waves ssl channels...
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
colortone pro takes like 15-20% on my cpu... i think i could run like 100 waves ssl channels...
Wow, really? I run tons of instances with a lot to spare for other stuff (delays, etc). It is more intense in stereo though (more than 2x as much).
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

DIGI Real Tape works nicely.

Also, don't think of it as 'console glue' since there's nothing like going thru a console but the glue can come from, for example, strapping a very nice outboard compressor on your master outs. Nothing can come close to that and you wouldn't have to buy a console....
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
DIGI Real Tape works nicely.

Also, don't think of it as 'console glue' since there's nothing like going thru a console but the glue can come from, for example, strapping a very nice outboard compressor on your master outs. Nothing can come close to that and you wouldn't have to buy a console....

+1 on using a nice outboard compressor or a cheaper alternative is to use a Phoenix nice DI works very well on the buss.
Old 31st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
+1 on using a nice outboard compressor or a cheaper alternative is to use a Phoenix nice DI works very well on the buss.
I would love to hear how the Phoenix DI works on the buss....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search