The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plug-In for Console "Glue"? Studio Monitors
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Wow, really? I run tons of instances with a lot to spare for other stuff (delays, etc). It is more intense in stereo though (more than 2x as much).
Oh, right I meant the urs one. Yeah, colortone pro is a hog for sure.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

URS CSP!

is rill nice
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

You can run about 8 instances of the Neve 88RS plugin from UA. If you use them judiciously on group busses and one on the master two buss. It is a fairly enlightening experience that comes very close to console magic.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
yeah, that's what i thought... my MacPro 3GHz @ 24/88.2 can't handle 40 tracks of VW on every track.
Don't you have 'freeze' or bounce?
Old 1st September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
You can run about 8 instances of the Neve 88RS plugin from UA. If you use them judiciously on group busses and one on the master two buss. It is a fairly enlightening experience that comes very close to console magic.
How are you using this on the Master bus? are you just switching it on with the settings flat or making tweaks, if so with all the modules on?

I got this last month, and only considered using it on the channels. this sounds interesting.
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

Check out the Neve stuff from Universal Audio. You'll of course need a dedicated card from them to run this plug, but it's fantastic and doesn't use much system resources because it runs off the card. Universal Audio cards are very affordable also and you can buy the plugs via download at your convenience. Universal Audio | News & Press | Front Page News if you get a minute.

Danny Danzi
Welcome to www.DannyDanzi.com
MySpace.com - Danny Danzi Band - WILLIAMSTOWN, New Jersey - Rock / Metal - www.myspace.com/dannydanziband
Old 1st September 2007
theother
Quote:
Waves SSL will still give an analog character when plugin's instantiated but not tweaked; thereby contributing to the "glue" character. hence the "analog in" switch.

i'd i assume the same for API plugs as well.
That's all very nice but no one I met so far could hear the 'analog in' switch in a blind test! heh
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
How are you using this on the Master bus? are you just switching it on with the settings flat or making tweaks, if so with all the modules on?

I got this last month, and only considered using it on the channels. this sounds interesting.

There is a little tweaking on the sub groups but I just used Master Fader preset on the instance which sets on the Master buss. Tweaks on subgroups are usually minor and so far have been compressor and EQ changes on the strip. Primarily this occurs on the drum buss, vocal busses and effects buss because my cheap external delay and reverbs need the pinginess taken out and the plug in does a great job on smoothing out the sound. By the way, only subtle changes to compression and EQ. For drastic things, I will still use a parametric for creating the low end kick bass relationship.

Just putting an instance of the 88RS on the master buss with the Master Fader preset, tightens the whole mix in a Neve-ish kind of way.
Old 2nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
There is a little tweaking on the sub groups but I just used Master Fader preset on the instance which sets on the Master buss. Tweaks on subgroups are usually minor and so far have been compressor and EQ changes on the strip. Primarily this occurs on the drum buss, vocal busses and effects buss because my cheap external delay and reverbs need the pinginess taken out and the plug in does a great job on smoothing out the sound. By the way, only subtle changes to compression and EQ. For drastic things, I will still use a parametric for creating the low end kick bass relationship.

Just putting an instance of the 88RS on the master buss with the Master Fader preset, tightens the whole mix in a Neve-ish kind of way.
Cool...... I'll be trying that out.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ View Post
Don't you have 'freeze' or bounce?
i do, but i never found the need to apply 40+ tracks of VW, let alone 3 or 4.

also, i see you use Logic. freezing in Logic is incredibly buggy, in case you didn't know that already.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
That's all very nice but no one I met so far could hear the 'analog in' switch in a blind test! heh
funny, i was reiterating what was in the manual; but i honestly don't think much of a difference either, unless listening at extreme settings with headphones on.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

I am using a Drawmer 1968 analogue compressor as glue, but I have to try the 88RS you are talking about...
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
An easy way would be a touch of Inflator + SSL comp on the master. You could use the Sonalksis SV-315 for this if you don't have an SSL emu.
hey man, i've been using your sv315 SSL presets and they are awesome. i usually don't want to sit there and have to do a real mix when i do the beat, i leave that til later. now i throw the sv with one of those presets on my master bus, and things sound very nice. thanks-
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
funny, i was reiterating what was in the manual; but i honestly don't think much of a difference either, unless listening at extreme settings with headphones on.
there´s a difference... when you switch it on and off it´s very noticeable... i guess it depends on how you´re pushing the levels through it..

i turn it off when i want it to sound cleaner... but most of the time it´s on...

as to whether i would notice the difference in a mix.. it´s questionable..
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
i could hear the artificial noise it adds...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Another thumbs up for URS CS Pro.

Impressive.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Wave's SSL 'analog in' switch does absolutely nothing. Bounce one track with it, then the next without it. Flip the phase and see if they completely cancel...

surprise: they do.

Great plug though. I wouldn't say URS's new CSR BLOWSS it away. They both do different things.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb10 View Post
Wave's SSL 'analog in' switch does absolutely nothing. Bounce one track with it, then the next without it. Flip the phase and see if they completely cancel...

surprise: they do.

Great plug though. I wouldn't say URS's new CSR BLOWSS it away. They both do different things.

Plzzz, if you don't hear it, don't say it does nothing. Just say "I don't hear it". Because it does something and I do hear it.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcan View Post

Plzzz, if you don't hear it, don't say it does nothing. Just say "I don't hear it". Because it does something and I do hear it.
i think it just imparts a small amount of noise (albeit extremely low levels) unless u use a leveler after it - then it becomes very loud)
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

all the channel strips i am using are cancelling with phase so is this saying that unless you actually tweak it will make absolutely no diff? As in it neutral does not color the sound?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sei046 View Post
all the channel strips i am using are cancelling with phase so is this saying that unless you actually tweak it will make absolutely no diff? As in it neutral does not color the sound?
You must normalize the diff...
Old 10th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcan View Post
You must normalize the diff...
???? You lost me...
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
???? You lost me...
?????? Probably
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

normalize the what now?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
normalize the what now?
Not metutt
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac
My Logic template opens up with the Waves SSL 4000 across all my channels.
I have them all disabled to start with but they all get enabled once everything is tracked.
Yes I'd like to try that with the API channel as well, but one of my Event 20/20 bas monitors died so I'm thinking I need to grab a pair of Adam A7's asap.
Decisions, decisions...
Later
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

The waves ssl analog in is very audible
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

I tried the 4000 this evening and i couldnt get a sound when i phase cancleed the track with it with the one without it. Am i doing something wrong?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I tried the 4000 this evening and i couldnt get a sound when i phase cancleed the track with it with the one without it. Am i doing something wrong?
Normalise the difference... who'se lost nowheh
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

but i was really giving the cancelled sounds sox and just could not hear anything!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search