The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why have "different User" accounts in Mac
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Why have "different User" accounts in Mac

seemed a good idea when computers where more expensive,... a family or roomates or co-workers could share 1 computer under different user names.

but now everyone has a personal computer (PC,duh) so why do i need to have the same set of folders for my acount and the system account? 2 set of app folders, 2 set of folders for library, 2 desktop s etc. seems that it should an option duiring instalation to have "aco****s" or not and have it less cluttery. i mean nowadays its the oposite, 2 or more computers per person.

which also relates to the damn repair permisions which i think has something to do with system vs user acounts.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Why rewrite an OS because a few cats don't want different accounts?
Old 28th August 2007
You don't have to use multiple accounts.
However, you'll always have a minimum of a system + 1 user account.

You don't have 2 app folders, etc. like you mention. There's only 1.
However, if you have multiple accounts each user will have his own document folders, etc.

This way you share apps and system but not documents.

Personally I'm fairly happy with the system both at home and in the studio. At home my wife has her own account which means she can have her own pink desktop with neat icons, while I can have something entirely different suited to my workflow.

In the studio I have my own setup and when I rent it out in the evenings there's another setup with different autoloads, they can't accidentally delete my files, and such things.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search