The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PC HELP! How to make a PC read this ATA drive?!? Studio Headphones
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

PC HELP! How to make a PC read this ATA drive?!?

a few years ago I recorded some stuff at another studio on a PC with Nuendo. the studio went under, but i was able to get the Seagate Barracuda drive that the sessions were on. I'm a mac PT user, and recently I was finally able to borrow a PC with Cubase on it to try to get the files off the drive and into PT. I installed the drive in the computer (Win XP Pro), and booted up. Windows recognizes the drive, but wont allow it to be used unless I format it...

Is there any way to get the PC to access the files on the drive? this is way beyond my PC chops. Maybe if I put the drive in some sort of USB enclosure I'll be able to access it? Any way around this?

thanks in advance!!
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Are you using XP on your Mac, boot camp?
If you are using a PC, check for ATA driver updates on your chipset manufactures website. If it's Mac and your using WIN XP, then I have no idea.

I guess an external inclosure is a viable answer.

Quote:
I was finally able to borrow a PC with Cubase on it to try to get the files off the drive and into PT
Do you have the PC or the Drive? If it's the PC, then Network to it with a usb cable and transfer the files.
I always keep either an external hardrive or inclosure around and pull from the source PC. NO need to snakes some bodies harddrive.
Most people who trade harddrives, are working on similar setups. Like one guy has a PT LE system and a Mac Pro and the other a Mac Pro and PT HD rig....

Also, check the jumper setting on the back. Make sure it's set right. The paper on the top of the HD should give you some direction.

good luck
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

thanks for the feedback, i guess i could have been more clear. the files were recorded onto an internal drive of PC 1, PC 1 died and i'm trying to take just that drive and install in into PC 2, so I can open the sessions in cubase and bounce all the files from the same start point. no boot camp, end destination is a mac but i guess thats irrelevant.

i'm checking for drivers now, the new drive says ataIV and the drive already in the comp says ataII (both seagate barracuda), maybe this is the conflict? the jumpers look right.

thanks again
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I guess the question is, what died on PC1. Maybe it was the HD?

You need to find out your Mobo's Chipset ATA controller and downlaod the most up to date driver for it. Stat! (for PC2) These have nothing to do with the HD manufacturer.
I had the same issue and this cured it.
Maybe list your systems specs.
I help you with links, if you like.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

the computer is a dell dimension 4100... it has the 815E chipset. i downloaded the update, and have been trying to get it to install all day. when i try to open the installer i get a "this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect" error . the computer sees the drive, but insists it needs to be initialized.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

ATA driver:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=182〈=eng
(this one might just be the old right click and merge with the registry)

Some other stuff:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/defa...nav2_download#

815 Chipset:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=179〈=eng

You might want to use this tool to identify your chuipset. you might have some kind of proprietary Dell chipset by Intel.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldId=11691〈=eng
Old 28th August 2007
You may need to play with the BIOS hard driive settings.

Rail
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSamples View Post
You may need to play with the BIOS hard driive settings.

Rail
and what does play call for him to do?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search