The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MacBook for music and mixing, your comments? DSP Audio Systems
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

MacBook for music and mixing, your comments?

I tried a search and found nothing.
Anyone using these for light mixing, editing or recording?
MacBook 2.0 or 2.16gb laptop (not the PRO)
PC equivalents are pretty much the same price.
I have Samplitude V9 and C4 with a FireStudio.
I figure I could run Boot Camp.
Any comments would be AWESOME!
What do ya slutz have to say?
Thanks
-S-
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Mix and edit on mine all the time. Works like a dream. thumbsup
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I love mine. SOOO much horsepower for mixing. I'd say if you get into remote recording, buy an external HD or get a faster internal one. For a while I was doing 16 track recordings at 24 bit/44.1 no problem, now for some reason it doesn't work to the internal drive, but to an external its great.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I love mine. SOOO much horsepower for mixing. I'd say if you get into remote recording, buy an external HD or get a faster internal one. For a while I was doing 16 track recordings at 24 bit/44.1 no problem, now for some reason it doesn't work to the internal drive, but to an external its great.
Awesome thanks.
Question:
How are you hooking up an external drive?
USB2.0?
My interface would take up the FW connection and there is no express slot.
I know interfaces aren't so hot using USB2.0, but how are external drives on usb2.0, while using a FW interface?
Thanks again.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdrecordings View Post
Awesome thanks.
Question:
USB2.0?
I know interfaces aren't so hot using USB2.0, but how are external drives on usb2.0, while using a FW interface?
Thanks again.
interested in this because im about to buy a macbook and was just simply gonna use usb external drive.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi mate..

yeah they are easy to mix on..Don't want to be the prick that says the oposite but just ALWAYS back you stuff up somewhere else while you are working becaus i have had 2 (YES TWO) Black MacBooks and both have died in the middle of doing something...

Just got that strange grey screen with the power bitton sign and then never booted up again..

They work fine if they don't stop working...heheh

But other than that they are killer to work on, no other beef with them at all.

Now i have a small portable hard drive from Lacie and when ever i am traveling or something i work off it, with all files running from the hard drive...

just an extra precaution...

Hope i am the only unlucky one...

Jun
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Awesome thanks.
Question:
USB2.0?
Thanks again.
Daisy chain the interface to the hard drive: interface>HD>MacBook.

Firewire's the way to go.

My MacBook rocks the house. Just put 2GB of RAM in it and you're away.

the tortoise
Old 28th August 2007
I had one HD death on my Black MB.
Other than that, it kick A$$ mixing with DP 5.12.
I only recorded 8 tracks at 44.1/16, but never had a problem with this configuration.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

You can do a lot with a MacBook. You'll want at least 2 GB RAM and an external disc (firewire, not USB).
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tortoise View Post
Daisy chain the interface to the hard drive: interface>HD>MacBook.

Firewire's the way to go.

My MacBook rocks the house. Just put 2GB of RAM in it and you're away.

the tortoise
Are you sure?
Even with FW400.
I thought this was a big no no.
In fact, I've had issues when using more than 1 device on a FW400 bus (using a PC)....
Are Macs different?
Awesome guys.. thank you.
Keep'm coming.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

There's no way a single hard drive is going to saturate a FW400 (or FW800) bus. Just chain up a few drives and go. Unless you're mixing for a film (100+ tracks) and/or pushing multiple HD streams over it, you're fine.

Fill the MB up with memory, and go.

I personally like the MBP better and i'm soo happy i got it.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
There's no way a single hard drive is going to saturate a FW400 (or FW800) bus. Just chain up a few drives and go. Unless you're mixing for a film (100+ tracks) and/or pushing multiple HD streams over it, you're fine.

Fill the MB up with memory, and go.

I personally like the MBP better and i'm soo happy i got it.
Right.
Everyone seems to be saying this, but no one is listing their setup, to prove that this works.

Who here is using a FW400 interface and daisy chaining a FW400 hard-drive with a MacBook. Anyone?
Old 28th August 2007
there is a thread around where I asked about the same thing, and there is a lot of people using stuff daisy-chained on one FW buss.
just use the search and you'll find.
I'm sure a HD and an audio interface will work on the same buss, the problem is when you add DSP stuff, like Liquid Mix or Duende...
the search funtion is your friend.
Old 28th August 2007
LK7
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Right.
Everyone seems to be saying this, but no one is listing their setup, to prove that this works.

Who here is using a FW400 interface and daisy chaining a FW400 hard-drive with a MacBook. Anyone?
1.5Ghz PowerBook > Glyph fw400 drive > 002 / with AI-3 (16i/o) - all on the same FW400 port

Works great, never had an issue with firewire 400. 16 trks in or 16trks out at any sample rate.

So if I can do it with a 1.5Ghz PB, then I'm pretty sure he'll be ok with a new MBheh

He Being You

Last edited by LK7; 28th August 2007 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Brain Flatulent
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Wonderful.
Thank you LK7.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

question i here you guys talking abouti do this many tracks some say i can only do a certain amount of track when i get my macbook i want to use it as my main computer is this possible. even though i only produce tracks on my pc now when i get it i want tobe able to create my tracks mix them and if i wanna record no problem with it. i plan on getting the 2gb memory on it for sure but with what everyone is saying on the certain amount of tracks they can record now im kinda notsure.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Since people have reported 16in and out works flawlessly, is good news.
Now, have any of you pushed the limits of the MacBook in a mix session.
As in high track counts, plug-ins, etc.
Anyone. So far the MAcBook looks like a killer deal...

The only thing is, I can't decide on whether to get the M.B. or UA LA-610.
One will never become outdated and sound great. The other will allow me to take my sessions home. Ah!.. What to get.

Help me out SLUTZ.
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Since people have reported 16in and out works flawlessly, is good news.
Now, have any of you pushed the limits of the MacBook in a mix session.
As in high track counts, plug-ins, etc.
Anyone. So far the MAcBook looks like a killer deal...

The only thing is, I can't decide on whether to get the M.B. or UA LA-610.
One will never become outdated and sound great. The other will allow me to take my sessions home. Ah!.. What to get.

Help me out SLUTZ.
Dude, do you need to take work home?
If it's a MUST, than go with the MB, if not, buy the LA-610...
Old 29th August 2007

I'm surprised to read here people are daisy chaining gear. I asked this very same thing here on this forum not too long ago, because I was also hesitating between the MB and the MBP, and people said "no, it doesn't work". I wonder if it was maybe because I was not asking about daisy-chaining an audio interface and an external HD, but an audio interface and a dsp, like LM or PoCo? Is that a different story? Anyone daisy-chaining that?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

even though its not my thread thanks for your responses man the first chance i get im gonna but the macbook if i can ill get the black one since its my favorite color and it just looks better to me and less worry abot it getting dirty.
Old 29th August 2007

Yes, I also dug the black one for its colour, but then I had a look at the specs... and the bigger white one, which is 1249 Euro, only has a smaller HD, namely 120GB, instead of 160GB as the black one has. As a BTO option, the bigger HD only means 80 Euro more, making it 1329 Euro. All the rest is the same except for the colour. Well, the black one costs 1449 Euro.
So, Mr. Jobs - what are the 120 Euro difference for? Just for the colour???
Old 29th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaki putih View Post
I'm surprised to read here people are daisy chaining gear. I asked this very same thing here on this forum not too long ago, because I was also hesitating between the MB and the MBP, and people said "no, it doesn't work". I wonder if it was maybe because I was not asking about daisy-chaining an audio interface and an external HD, but an audio interface and a dsp, like LM or PoCo? Is that a different story? Anyone daisy-chaining that?
YES, most of the DSP units will not work with a HD and a interface on the same bus. I think it's ok with just a interface and the DSP but you have to rely on your internal HD or an USB 2.0 unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search