The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie C4 with Nuendo & Other DAWs Control Surfaces
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Red face Mackie C4 with Nuendo & Other DAWs

I use the Mackie Universal Controller and an expander for a total of 16 channel faders & a master in Nuendo 3.0. Love the set up, but would love to get the C4 but it is not currently supported by Nuendo. However, it is presently supported by Reason, which I also use for composition and "beat" making.

Any thoughts out there about the C4 with Reason and/or any reports as to if/when Steinberg will have C4 support in Nuendo? Also, I've downloaded Reaper, though have yet to install and use. Does it work with the Mackie C4?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Steinberg (wisely in my opinion) got out of the business of supporting controllers. Way too much development time was going into it. Instead (also, again wisely in my opinion), they created a public SDK (software developers kit) that allows hardware manufactures to write their own support.

So.. now, if the controller manufacturer wants to sell their product to the Steinberg user base (the largest DAW userbase in the business), then they can choose to write their support using an SDK that allows almost unlimited access to controlling Nuendo/Cubase.

I have worked tirelessly with a fellow (named Dan Steinberg ironically) at Mackie to try to get them to write support for the C4. I have even negotiated with them to write that support myself, and I still hope that will come about because I have some really cool ideas that I have compiled from many Cubase/Nuendo users about how the unit should function.

They have been telling me since the product came out that they wanted to do this, but they didn't believe that the resulting sales would be worth the investment. I won't disclose what they investment is... but I have to say I am astounded that they don't think they would recover it. Simply astounded.

They asked ME to put together a petition of people that would buy the C4 if it had Steinberg support.

I have been working on such a petition (let me know if you want to sign it)... but I must admit that I am incredibly frustrated with dealing with Mackie on this.

I can not fathom why they would not do this. Crazy if you ask me.

Hope that helps.....
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search