The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clicks and pops when scrolling
Old 27th August 2007
Clicks and pops when scrolling

When loading certain virtual instruments (mainly NI and VSL but it seems kind of random which one it is), I have started getting weird clicks and pops when scrolling the pages, using the scroll ball on my mighty mouse.
This occurs especially when there's a lot of instruments playing, but still its not near the limit of the CPU either..

Anyone recognize this issue?

Ps, I'm on Logic 7.2 on a Dual2.7 G5, 4gb Ram
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

It sounds like a buffer issue. I have a similar thing when i try to record @96khz (not that i do that often) EVEN though the meters say i'm fine for CPU/disk etc it's still crackly and poppy. I have to set the buffer to 1024.

Personally iu think it's just another damn logic bug.
To be honest though i havn't used your setup so i may be totally off base.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

You know i was just thinking, another strange thing i have noticed with logic (or at least my setup) is that i often get more clicks/popps audio sync problems when firefox is running! I'm running a mac pro 2.66 with 4gb of ram so i don't think its a lack of computing resources.

Has anyone else noticed the increase of these problems when Firefox is running?
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

I get clicks and pops when Firefox is loading a new page in Reaper. Not sure if it's IRQ problems related to networking or disk access.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Sounds like the buffer to me. It used to happen to me all the time when I had my old ****ty computer. And I mean, ALL the time.
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodDamn View Post
Sounds like the buffer to me. It used to happen to me all the time when I had my old ****ty computer. And I mean, ALL the time.
Hmm, ok, but a dual2.7 G5 isnt exactly a ****ty computer though right?
Anyway, if it is the buffer, should the buffer size be larger or smaller?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

probably buffer if it only happens as you load more instruments, plugs, etc. but can also be the computer's power supply if it's happening all the time.

I spent a lot of time tracking down weird buzzing related to mouse movements only to discover that installing a new (500w) power supply totally eliminated it.

But try increasing buffers one 'notch' at a time in your sound card interface (or in the DAW)
Old 28th August 2007
It was indeed a buffer issue. Increasing the I/O buffer size from 128 to 256 solved the problem.
Hope the increased latency wont bother me too much..
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

In reality your g2.7 or my mac pro is more than enough hardware to run a DAW like logic, but from my experience logic cannot take advantage of any of the power, in the sense that i get clicks/pops even when the system is under almost no strain.

This and a whole slew of other reasons are why i want shot of logic, for me i got logic only because it was cheap and i couldn't afford HD.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search