The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
glossy vs. flat Mac Book Pro screens - what did you buy? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Question glossy vs. flat Mac Book Pro screens - what did you buy?

glossy vs. flat Mac Book Pro screens - what did you buy?

In about 6-9 months I’ll update my G4 17” Powerbook to a 15” Mac Book Pro.....

I am very used to the matte screen that I have now, but I can see the allure of the glossy screen..... it looks somewhat brighter and sharper.

The glare off the screen might drive me mad, tho.

What did YOU buy, and why?

thanks
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I bought glossy because it was the only option available as a refurb when I bought mine. I would have chosen matte. I don't notice a glare at all, but I only use it inside. I would now choose glossy for any replacement because I'm liking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
glossy vs. flat Mac Book Pro screens - what did you buy?

In about 6-9 months I’ll update my G4 17” Powerbook to a 15” Mac Book Pro.....

I am very used to the matte screen that I have now, but I can see the allure of the glossy screen..... it looks somewhat brighter and sharper.

The glare off the screen might drive me mad, tho.

What did YOU buy, and why?

thanks
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
I bought glossy because it was the only option available as a refurb when I bought mine. I would have chosen matte. I don't notice a glare at all, but I only use it inside. I would now choose glossy for any replacement because I'm liking it.
cool

thanks

anyone else?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

I chose matte myself but I've worked quite a lot on my friends' Macbookpros and Macbooks with glossy screens. Initially, I like the glossy screens, they seem to show 'more color' and feel 'brighter' than the matte screen. Nice to look at. But after 5 min I start to notice all the reflections in the screen... Even when using indoors.

I don't know, maybe I'm being over-sensitive to the reflections and all, but after working an hour with the glossy, I've usually got a headache. Seems like I have to focus my eyes harder because of reflections, or maybe it's the more 'vivid colors' that affect my eyes... Anyway I'm happy I chose the matte screen!

See if you can't find a friend with a glossy screen and work on that computer in different lighting. For me, the real dealbreaker is when sitting by a window in daytime; barely workable for me with a glossy screen but just fine with the matte.

/Magnus
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyro View Post
I chose matte myself but I've worked quite a lot on my friends' Macbookpros and Macbooks with glossy screens. Initially, I like the glossy screens, they seem to show 'more color' and feel 'brighter' than the matte screen. Nice to look at. But after 5 min I start to notice all the reflections in the screen... Even when using indoors.

I don't know, maybe I'm being over-sensitive to the reflections and all, but after working an hour with the glossy, I've usually got a headache. Seems like I have to focus my eyes harder because of reflections, or maybe it's the more 'vivid colors' that affect my eyes... Anyway I'm happy I chose the matte screen!

See if you can't find a friend with a glossy screen and work on that computer in different lighting. For me, the real dealbreaker is when sitting by a window in daytime; barely workable for me with a glossy screen but just fine with the matte.

/Magnus
great advice!!!!

thanks!!!

i just hope that apple keeps selling the MATTE as an option -
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

i got the matte so that it would match my 17" external monitor
Old 27th August 2007
Not a Mac guy but I see a lot of laptops...

I find it difficult working on glossy screens.

There is an initial "wow factor" -- things seem "deeper" and more colorful somehow -- but that quickly evaporates into frustration over glare and reflection for me.
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

go for mat

hi i have glossy cos on a macbook its the only option, it really sucks. its like a filthy mirror. When the sun shines i cant see anything.

|-<>-|
Old 27th August 2007
I don't remember having problems with my macbook glossy screen.
I only use it indoors.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

15"MBP mat here and no complaints.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Glossy. I really l like it. But honestly, either one you get... You'll be happy.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

The glossy screen will let the blacks be darker, but if you have any light sources behind you they're more apt to cause a reflection in the screen.

The matte surface is good at diffusing reflections.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search