The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
64 bit/ Cubase 4 w/plug ins question Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

64 bit/ Cubase 4 w/plug ins question

OK, maybe this is a really dumb question, but I just wanted to check.

when Cubase 4.1 does finally come out, it's going to be 64 bit right? which means that it'll be able to address way more RAM, right? so when i get a mac pro after a hardware refresh and 10.5 comes out, i'll be able to pack as much RAM as i can afford in there and C4 will be able to use it, right?

am i going to be able to run all my plugins from Komplete 4? what about reason 3 via rewire?

any idea if i'll still be able to take projects back and forth from a 64 bit Mac Pro and my 32 bit macbook?

is that too many questions for one post?
could i use the word right a few more times?
Old 27th August 2007
theother
Not only Cubase has to be 64 bit but the plugins too.

So even with a 64 bit version of Cubase and a 64 bit OS you are still limited to 4GB if the plugin is only 32.

I don't know what the finer implications are that arise from it. I guess we have to wait and see.

I.e. what happens with several instances of a 32 bit plug? Is it X times 4GB or 4 GB in total? etc...

I guess it will be a long transition period before we can enjoy the full fruits of 64 bit addressing.

At them moment I can't even get Cubase 4 to work properly with Vista 64 and a RME MADI card. It's ridiculous!
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

so i 'spose there's probably no way that NI's plugs will be 64 bit prior to K5 or something, huh?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Steinberg has said that Cubase 4.1 and Nuendo 4 will come in 64 bit versions. They'll be able to run 32 bit plugins, like Sonar does with BitBridge. Of course not all plugins will work, it'll be a case by case basis. Kontakt 2 has already proven to run on 64 bit systems, and I'll be very suprised if K3 isn't a 64 bit app.. samplers are the programs that benefit the most from access to huge amounts of ram.

The Steinberg developers have already said that all 32 bit programs running in Cubase/Nuendo 64 bit will be limited to a single 32 bit memory address space (4 gigs). So if you have 3 instances of K2 open, all of them together will have a max limit of 4 gigs. I'm not sure if that's how Sonar handles it also..
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrocker View Post
when Cubase 4.1 does finally come out, it's going to be 64 bit right? which means that it'll be able to address way more RAM, right? so when i get a mac pro after a hardware refresh and 10.5 comes out, i'll be able to pack as much RAM as i can afford in there and C4 will be able to use it, right?

am i going to be able to run all my plugins from Komplete 4? what about reason 3 via rewire?
That really depends more on if Leopard breaks the plugins then Cubase 4.1.. If the plugins behave nicely with Leopard then there shouldn't be any problems. Even under Tiger, they are 32 bit apps running in a 64 bit OS. The difference with Leopard is that the apps will have access to 64 bit memory spaces via the new frameworks. We'll know in a couple of months how it will all come together...
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

ah, ok. now things are starting to make sense.

guess it'll come down to a wait 'n see approach, huh?

thanks for the info.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search