The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New MacPro: Before I fire it up... DAW Software
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

New MacPro: Before I fire it up...

...I'm curious if there's any advice on system configuration. It's been awhile since we got a new machine in the main room, and in that time, my partner—who was the real Mac scholar here—has moved on to other pursuits. I'm just curious if there's any "standard" procedure all you true Mac audio geeks out there would do with a new machine.

For the record: We just installed extra RAM and HD (we've got 5G RAM and four internal HDs—250, 500, 500, 500). Apps (DAW and otherwise), samples (BFD and othewise) will live on the boot drive (250); current plan is to have one 500 be the main audio (projects/sessions) drive and the other two set-up in a mirrored software RAID configuration for back-up from the audio drive. Completed sessions will be archived elsewhere and removed from all internal drives.

Anything else? Please advise...

Many thanks.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Will you be running Pro Tools?

There are some set-up specific docs on their website for this.

Good luck, have fun
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

PT LE, Logic Pro, DP, Cubase

Anyone else?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I always reformat and reinstall......chances are the computer will work better for you after that.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaudio View Post
I always reformat and reinstall......chances are the computer will work better for you after that.

+1

The default OS install often has a lot of fluff - like a half gig of printer drivers, language support, etc..
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a MacPro 2x2.66 that I use with PT.

The only thing I did was NOT use Software Update from the computer itself (Digidesign's website has details on that). Other than that, I just downloaded the latest UB versions of software and plugins and i was off and runnin.

I did have a weird problem that the latest bugfix fixed. It's was an issue that if I changed levels in my aux sends, something would cause ALL my aux sends to default to 0 ! Closing and opening the session wouldn't help.

That was super irritating but it's gone now.

Other than that, the MacPro is a screaming fast machine. Pair that with PT TDM and you've really got a great system!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

erase all drives to 0, reformat, partition (if necessary), install only OSX necessities, software updates to 10.4.8 (most stable so far), all other updates for other DAW/plugz, repair permissions every time, repair disk & run diskwarrior at end just in case.

go to system preference, go one by one, turn off everything unnecessary, speed up everything else.

you can run s'more terminal commands if you know what you're doing. do a search for "mac optimization" 'roudn here.

i just put together a MacPro 3GHz 8core 8GBRAM running 128I/O HD4 ProTools for D-Show Venue Profile system for a live show company. it's running more stable than ever, rock solid, no hiccups whatsoever; and everything runs as quick as you've ever seen on a Mac/PC. esp crucial for live.
Old 28th August 2007
Just as a note: I'd move your BFD library and any other sample libraries and sounds onto one of the 500GB drives and have it dedicated to that.

Combined with a dedicated OS drive, Audio drive and Backup drive, you're looking at the best possible setup that way.

Peace

the tortoise
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search