The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New powerhorse quadcore
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

New powerhorse quadcore

today i did a research for my new pc-setup.

it was 5 hours of googling and reading reviews of products and finally i got these components for my new setup. maybe if anyone of you is in the same situation of needing a new pc it will save him time

i searched for the actually best mainboard for quadcores and came to the following result:

mainboard:

gigabyte ps35 ds4 arround 140 Euro

ps35 is the newest chipset which should be stablest for core-setups.

there are 2 different setups of this board - ds3 and ds4

if you need firewire you have to buy the ds4 which is arround 50 dollar more expensive than it´s small brother ds3.

of course you even can buy the ds3 and add a firewire-pci card. i want to save a pci slot.

cpu:

intel core2quad q6600 arround 250 Euro

very good price and a lot of power

i bought it "used" for 190 euro without fan because i want to buy a better quiter fan.

this is what were recommended by many reviews and users:

cpu-cooler:

scythe ninja plus b 35 euro

there are a few coolers which wouldn´t fit onto the mainboard. the ninja plus was the one which was one of the best when it comes to quiet powerful work and of course the price is good, too.

ram:

A-Data 2048 MB DDR2 PC2-6400/DDR2-800 (2x1024MB) Extreme edition Vitesta

at Mindfactory Computer Online - Shop for 90 Euro.

this kit was recommended by a lot of users and sites especially for the gigabyte p35 ds4. they are fast and working very good with it as i´ve read it alot.

chassis: 19" antec take 3 gehäuse 150 Euro

it is super-silent and looks really nice. it was recommended by a few users on gearslutz too.

this should be a really good starting point for having a great daw. when i´ve finished building it i will run a test with nuendo and tell you how many vst plugins you can run with it.

i hope it will help your decision and if you got some time correct my spelling as i want to get better in english
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Nice setup, I would have totally missed the ds4 model, because I read about the ds3 and it didn't have firewire. Thanks for the tip.

-- GIGABYTE --Geeks Column of the Week - GIGABYTE DDR2/DDR3 Combo Motherboard: The Upgraders Choice

The P35-DQ6 specs looks nice too.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

On the same page here

Yeah dude I am on the same page here, and I have a question for you.
Would this board take a second quad to get to 8 core?

Last edited by fontenele; 29th August 2007 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE LUV View Post
cpu-cooler:

scythe ninja plus b 35 euro

there are a few coolers which wouldn´t fit onto the [Gigabyte DS4] mainboard.
This is due to the enormous heatsinks on the card, no? In which context it is perhaps worth mentioning that the "revision 2" version of this motherboard has had its heatsinks scaled down to a more manageable size: thus for anyone else looking to buy one of these it might be worth holding off for a bit until you can ensure getting one of the rev. 2's.

Link here to revised version:

GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 2.0)
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontenele View Post
Yeah dude I am on the same page here, and I have a question for you.
Would this board take a second quad to get to 8 core?
No.

To go 8 core you have to buy Xeon processors; a special dual processor motherboard; and special buffered memory. Here you are getting into server/graphics workstation territory, so everything you buy will be rock solid but extremely expensive.

For example, the Xeon model which roughly corresponds to the Q6600 is the Xeon E5345, and here in Sweden the latter costs about 100% more than the former.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone know of a good place for DIY'ers to buy the best components in Toronto ?
Old 30th August 2007
js1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dmusic View Post
Anyone know of a good place for DIY'ers to buy the best components in Toronto ?
Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more. is pretty good. Bunch of locations around the GTA. And they have a good return/refund policy. This can be important if the motherboard isn't compatible with any audio cards and interfaces.

Geez, sorry about the long link. I put in the web site address, and the bulletin board software stuck in all that...

js
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search