The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DFHS vs EZDrummer? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 28th August 2007
jje
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
What kit would that be? I have them all and they are all loaded in under a minute.

I really like EZ Drummer, quick and good to work with. The sounds are rather processed so you most likely won't have to tweak them as much, it's up to you to decide if that's your cup of tea or not. I also like the add-on thing they're doing. As for DFH - expect a new version to be announced soon.

The stock kit takes a couple of minutes as does the Vintage. Latin Perc and Claustrophobic four or 5 minutes. Nashville...forget about it.

Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of RAM but I dunno. When I use EZ I just spend all the initial time getting the drums down right so I can freeze the track. That way I can mix through the multi outs but when I reopen files it doesn't have to load the drums.
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsound View Post
Oh yeah, I know it's just a midi player. Maybe the retail version will have better grooves...

EZplayer is not about the grooves.

It comes with some free grooves, just to demonstrate what it is capable of.
You can use any other midi grooves, retail, downloaded, borrowed, or your own from other projects.
It just translates midi between drum sample products.
http://www.toontrack.com/ezplayer_free.asp
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje View Post
Nashville...forget about it.
Are you working at the same sample rate as EZdrummer?

If not, the kits take slightly longer to set up as resampling is involved.
Old 28th August 2007
jje
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
I have to be honest, I don't have this problem at all. In fact AD maps out perfectly on my keybord. It has 2 snare hits next to each other so I can give the rolls a live feel. I do not ever have 20 snare hits next to each to each other...if I did, I would agree with you...that would suck!

AD is the fastest for loading up and banging out a drum part for me.

errrr....did they release an update that I don't know about? Did you do anything special after install? Maybe I missed a step or clicked too quickly through install menus.

*sorry...I don't mean to hijack the thread*
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

Hmm, the Nashville expansion takes about 30 secs to load on my Dual 1.8 G5 1.5RAM, if that's any use....
Old 28th August 2007
jje
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Are you working at the same sample rate as EZdrummer?

If not, the kits take slightly longer to set up as resampling is involved.
Nope...thanks for the reminder. Now I remember that from the manual that if you don't stick with the sample rate they were recorded at that it takes twice as long to load.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I was going to say, takes about 30 seconds here to load the Vintage set in EZ.
Old 28th August 2007
Incidentally, as to realism........
There are lots of user demos on the Toontrack forum:
www.toontrack.com/forum
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

The stock EZDrummer sounds load in less than 10secs on my MacPro FWIW.

It's still my fave goto app for drums for quick songwriting ideas.

Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Drumcore!
Old 28th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang View Post
Actually check out this demo to hear how you CAN trigger our ghost notes:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer3.mp3

And you are right that Steven Slate Drums right now is for replacement/augment in its 1.5 version. However, the good news, is that in another month or so, we will have 2.0 out. 2.0 will be a fully packed drum software with cymbals and mappings for software samplers like Kontakt, Halion, EXS, and more. So I guess the final say is, stay tuned, and use our hits to augment and replace current drum softwares that have been mentioned in this thread.
Great! I just want to mention that DFHS has a lot of options, a lot of snares to choose from, each with right and left hand, each with many different hits (from very soft to very hard and everything in between), flams, etc, etc, with the actual snares on or off, many different hits of the many cymbals options that you have and so on with every tom, ride or whatever... so you can get very, very realistic drums. I've been asked by really good drummers: who recorded those drums? heh

Here's a link to a song I did with DFHS (post #17):BFD vs DFH question?

or if you guys want to listen to the entire song you can go to: MySpace.com - berdesss - Cd. Obregon, MX - Rock / Post punk / Alternative - www.myspace.com/berdesss. All the songs in there are done with DFHS.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

To get back to the topic:

Got DFHS and C&V for about 3 years now, bought EZ this spring because of the hype, sold it last week. The preproduced sound of EZ was to limiting for me. First my jaw dropped, but in context with other instruments I couldn't get it right (so it's me ). But it's a great tool, no doubt about it. DFHS and C&V do sound (if properly programmed) like recorded drums sound. I love em.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Call me paranoid but when I take the time to do it manually I know it is done properly.
I know what you mean. And I hope that you charge by the hour heh
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the link to Addictive Drums.

I completely re-programmed a tune I did with another VSTi and it sounds excellent. I was able to come up with a very,very realistic drum part.

There are many tweaks that can be done. Balance between close-mics, O/H's and Room as well as panning, compression, EQ...etc...very, very nice.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

I have BFD and I'm very happy with the sounds but from the EZ Drummer demo I think the midi grooves are more to my liking. Can I just by the Rock or Country expansion packs for the Midi grooves and import them into Pro Tools to trigger BFD or do I really need the EZ Drummer to access the midi files?
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

I like the better control and options in Addictive drums, but I think EZ has much better cymbal and hihat sounds.
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

i use addictive drums the most now, but i'm really liking these new ezdrummer expansion packs!!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Are the XPansion Packs compatible either way. ie with BFD and/or EZDrummer ?
Old 29th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dmusic View Post
Are the XPansion Packs compatible either way. ie with BFD and/or EZDrummer ?
The Expansion packs are for the EZdrummer software.

There are now six packages (other than the original EZdrummer), recorded in different studios with different drummers, producers and concepts behind the sounds.
Variety is the name of the game. More EZX's are always around the corner.
BFD has a very different set up to EZdrummer.
Superior and C&V are more similar and I think it's possible to use those sounds in BFD.
Old 21st October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje View Post
Nope...thanks for the reminder. Now I remember that from the manual that if you don't stick with the sample rate they were recorded at that it takes twice as long to load.

Is this a problem if I want to use the program with 24/44.1 tracks in PTLE? Hopefully won't have to change my bit rate just to load the drum sounds..
Old 21st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuffguy View Post
Is this a problem if I want to use the program with 24/44.1 tracks in PTLE? Hopefully won't have to change my bit rate just to load the drum sounds..
Nope. Loads fast at 24/44. Takes much longer at 24/48.
Old 22nd October 2009
Gear Head

Cool.. I just realized , in my computer that I bought from someone else that I already have EZdrummer with the Nashville /Vintage libraries and didnt even know I had it. Lucky me... they sound pretty good! My goal is to compose/write tracks easily with EZ, but is it worth it to upgrade and get superioir 2.0 to replace EZ's sounds with the "better" quality drum sounds once I have the track midi'd and written..?? I like the way EZ's sounds are somewhat processed in the sense that I dont have to do much to them in a mix.. but in the future I know I'll want more tweakability with the drums. Really focusing on just writing as much as possible these days

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search