The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves V Plugins vs. the Real Analogue Thing. Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear
Cool Waves V Plugins vs. the Real Analogue Thing.

Hi everybody,

I just wonder where we are now:

Would you get the Real Analogue pieces or would you get the Waves V plugins?

I mean (if money or availability is not the problem):
- What is the current situation? Do the simulations already get the real feeling and bring all the positive aspects of a pure "in the computer signal path", or is it still like you should get the real analogue thing (that warm, round, cool sound) and route from your DAW to the analogue compressor / eq and do the DA/AD, but get that real feeling of smooth analog processing?
- What's the better investment? Plugins or Analogue processors?

Are we really already going plugins?
I read so many producers still rely on the good old analogue processors...
Why?

Opinions?

Cheers,
Marky
Old 26th August 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
Hi everybody,

- What is the current situation? Do the simulations already get the real feeling and bring all the positive aspects of a pure "in the computer signal path", or is it still like you should get the real analogue thing (that warm, round, cool sound) and route from your DAW to the analogue compressor / eq and do the DA/AD, but get that real feeling of smooth analog processing?

Why?

Opinions?

Cheers,
Marky
If money were no object, and the gear could be found, I would buy four of everything, use two, and have two back ups. I would also secure the maintenance/repair docs and as many spare parts as possible to keep them going. But, I can't do that, so I use Waves. MP3s say it doesn't matter.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi everybody,

Why?

Opinions?

Cheers,
Marky
i've never heard the real thing but i like the v-series eq's. i'm still deciding how i feel about the compressor though, i don't like it's release, i just can't seem to be happy with the setting options i have, i feel the need for faster release but i reckon there will be instances when it'll come in handy with more sustained material or on the master bus! i guess it is a master buss comp!
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

The descion is simple $50K mix budget = hardware $5K mix budget = Plug-ins
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear
So ok, sure, we are in the high end forum here. We only want the best.

if you have those 50k mix budget, why should hardware be better than the Waves V plugins (or similar)?

Are you sure that the analogue thing would sound more pleasing to our ears because it offers the real endless resolution, smoothness and nice distortions?
(that Waves tries to copy)

Are you sure that the positive sides of Waves V don't outweigh the
negative sides of hardware (additional DA/DA, noise level, etc.)?

Is there anybody in this forum, you did a A/B comparison?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
So ok, sure, we are in the high end forum here. We only want the best.

if you have those 50k mix budget, why should hardware be better than the Waves V plugins (or similar)?

Are you sure that the analogue thing would sound more pleasing to our ears because it offers the real endless resolution, smoothness and nice distortions?
(that Waves tries to copy)

Are you sure that the positive sides of Waves V don't outweigh the
negative sides of hardware (additional DA/DA, noise level, etc.)?

Is there anybody in this forum, you did a A/B comparison?
If your using great converters then a trip out through the analog domain and back in is no big deal, even 2 or 3 times is no extreme problem, the benefits far outweigh the negatives, ummm actually is there a negative at all with patching out into good analog gear? I think not.

I'm sure, hardware wins every time. There really is'nt a negative side to good quality hardware.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldnt be so sure when most people cant even tell the difference in most blind shootouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
I'm sure, hardware wins every time. There really is'nt a negative side to good quality hardware.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

It is interesting to know what you like about the V plug ins if you have not heard the real thing. Could you tell me?

I use 1073s and 2254s all the time.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Waves V no

The Waves V is nothing to be desired! Too much of everything make it unusable to me. The worst is these plugs are too squishy squashy sounding. Nothing like the real thing (and I have it all!). In a world where nothing is really too much - it says it all.
Another "no go" from this maker.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hardware is a better investment. No question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart
I wouldnt be so sure when most people cant even tell the difference in most blind shootouts.
Most people can't tell the difference between Ragu and a good home made marinara sauce either. But, some people can, so real chefs don't use Ragu.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
There are plenty of negatives here are a few that I could name off the top of my head;

No Instant Recall, Consistency of components from unit to unit, maintainence, physical space, wiring and patching constraints, noise, cost etc...

The blind comparisons on various peices of hardware over software have been posted on this board already. When software emulations are done well the differences between hardware and software are extremely close IMO.
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

quite short, but appealing chat back then...

a bunch of semi-knowledged users, discussing about Analog Vs Digital (Or equally defined as: Electric Energy Vs Data).

I don't know about you, but I prefer real waves.

So... What's the situation today?

Old 17th June 2016
i love it when posts come back from the dead
Old 18th June 2016
Gear Addict

I like the Plug eq Not keen on the comp
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear

I still like and regularly use the VEQ-4 (1081). I also have the UA Neve 1081 and they sound the same to me - just a great EQ, not much else. But the 1081 is my go-to EQ, I also have (and love) the Great River EQ2-NV for recording purposes. I would love a pair of hardware Neve 1081s, but only for the EQ section, not the preamp. But these would come in at EUR 8000 including frame.

But maybe we can augment this discussion a bit about the Scheps 73. This thing does sound a bit different to me (compared to the VEQ-3) and I also have the UA Neve 1073 (mk II). The distortion on the Scheps 73 (when you drive the input gain up) is not so useful - I really like that on the UA Neve 1073!

I wish there was a plugin that combined the preamp section of the UA 1073 with the EQ section of a 1081.
Old 18th June 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
I still like and regularly use the VEQ-4 (1081). I also have the UA Neve 1081 and they sound the same to me - just a great EQ, not much else. But the 1081 is my go-to EQ, I also have (and love) the Great River EQ2-NV for recording purposes. I would love a pair of hardware Neve 1081s, but only for the EQ section, not the preamp. But these would come in at EUR 8000 including frame.

But maybe we can augment this discussion a bit about the Scheps 73. This thing does sound a bit different to me (compared to the VEQ-3) and I also have the UA Neve 1073 (mk II). The distortion on the Scheps 73 (when you drive the input gain up) is not so useful - I really like that on the UA Neve 1073!

I wish there was a plugin that combined the preamp section of the UA 1073 with the EQ section of a 1081.
Hey Toby,

Try this... Put a trim/gain plugin before the Scheps 73 and lower the volume around -73db, then put on the drive with the Scheps and slowly add gain.
If you want more harmonics, pull up the input and lower the output.
It will give you that 1073 Mic Pre Saturation that ur looking for.

Let me know what'cha think.

Marc
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear

I feel that Waves does rather good job recently in terms of saturation / non linear modeling. I don't think they are too behind from UAD.
Old 19th June 2016
Lives for gear

I dunno I really like the V-comp and I have lots of outboard....I like the sound and performance...it's fine....
Old 19th June 2016
Gear Addict

I just finished an audio production for Gerber. Using no track compression and only 2 bus compression, the V series track was chosen over a matched pair of LA 610s and a pair of distressors, of the 3 finals submitted. Take that for what its worth. Ive had it go the other way as well....BUT, i sometimes wonder if people tend to like the hardware track because they can literally see the hardware.
Old 19th June 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

If you guys like the Waves V-Series, check out the Lindell Version. Even closer to the hardware.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...dell_254e.html

Marc
Old 19th June 2016
Or check out the Brainworx BX Console that has replaced my V series on every session
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

bx_console is great. Nice, tight, somewhere between classic and modern sounding, but it's not a V. It's a more modern VR I believe.

Lindel do their own take on the 2254 compressor with a few welcome additions. Like a high-pass filter on the sidechain.

The trick with the V is in the gain staging and using a manually rigged low-pass filter if required. The V does sound cleanest if the input is left at 0dB and setting the gain of the previous process to the ideal level. However, you can use the input to optionally dial in a little extra grit.
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Head

What drastic changes of opinions from 2007 to now. Very cool progression of time!
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Or check out the Brainworx BX Console that has replaced my V series on every session
Or check out Console 1 , neve, that replaced uad 1073 and 33609 that replaced V series

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search