The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW internal volume/distortion - anyone see this before?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

DAW internal volume/distortion - anyone see this before?

I decided to dig deep into my own library of sounds the other night and imported some nice basses, etc. Once they were imported into cubase - some of them sounded like they had distortion on them. Took me a while to figure out what is was.. I lowered the volume on that track/sound and the distortion went away. So obviously the volume was the problem.

What makes me confused is that my MOTU soundcards did not show any signs of volume being too loud. On the opposite - it showed very low volumes overall.

Throughout the years, I always thought that the volume that the soundcards show are the "final" ones. If they show red, You are overloading. But now I encountered something were the sound/track is too loud, but that is not reflected on the soundcard meters..

Is this normal? You see the same thing on your DAW?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

What are you monitoring thru? Do you have a monitor controler, which monitors? Maybe you had distortion elsewhere in the chain? Maybe your monitors couldn't handle the bass?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
What are you monitoring thru? Do you have a monitor controler, which monitors? Maybe you had distortion elsewhere in the chain? Maybe your monitors couldn't handle the bass?
nope.. I went through the summing mixer - my 2 pairs of monitors, etc.. (genelecs).. Everything.. And after checking everything - the only thing was some sounds came out distorted once imported into cubase. And I got rid of the distortion when I lowered the volume (inside cubase) on that track. What I dont understand is why (if the track was too loud) - it wasnt reflected in the sound card. I always been under the impression that if you had too loud volumes in the DAW (cubase, or whatever) - that would also show on the soundcard meters.. But that didnt happen here.. So Im clueless.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perx View Post
I went through the summing mixer - my 2 pairs of monitors, etc.. (genelecs)..
Summing mixer? Which one?

The analog part of your chain can still distort, even if your MOTU shows no signs of overs.

Have you tried playing back the files with another audio application? (Are you using a Mac/OS X, if so you can also play the audio from the Finder or with Quicktime).

Which Motu interface do you have? Does it have a headphone output? Have you tried that also?

I am not a Cubase expert, but maybe the master fader was raised higher than the amount you lowered on the channel, so the total would still be above 0dB.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search