The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fact or Fiction: Too many instances of a plug will degrade the audio?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Fact or Fiction: Too many instances of a plug will degrade the audio?

I read once that running too many instances of one plugin can result in degradation of the signal...

I mean, it makes sense because there is only one plugin in the folder, so to imagine over 30 tracks being processed all independently by one plugin seems like a stretch.

Can someone with plugin coding experience chime in? How does a single plugin process multiple audio files simultaneously and independently?

And has any experienced any plugins starting to sound like ****e after using too many instances?

I've used the SSL channel on every track when it first came out. It was the fastest ITB mix I'd done since I can recall and it sounded great. Not what I would consider degraded...

Maybe it's only certain plugins that do this...

It's late, I'm low on blood-THC, and so I'm thinking too much.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's all separate. Don't worry.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read once that running too many instances of one plugin can result in degradation of the signal...
I read once that using too many instances of a Neve plugin will result in low mid mudd build up. heh heh (sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Quote:
And has any experienced any plugins starting to sound like ****e after using too many instances?
No. But I've had many plugs sound like sh!t after one instance.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm just curious now... I've had my morning coffee and I'm ready to think again.

So, any developers willing to explain how a plugin can process 100 tracks independently and simultaneously?
Old 26th August 2007
With the proviso that I'm not a plug developer (one SynthEdit plug does not count, I think, right?)...

If it's coded properly, there should be no problem, assuming there are the resources available.

There's only one program file... but the host software loads multiple instances of it in ram separately, which then all run as independent programs, with their own memory spaces, etc. They essentially don't even know the other instances exist.

That said, if a plug is poorly written it might be possible for it to create problems for other instances of itself, though I think they'd have to go out of their way to do that in such a way that it didn't cause systemic problems, besides.

And, of course, a single instance of a badly written plug can bring a DAW to its knees. Some DAWs are more resilient/robust than others, of course.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
There's only one program file... but the host software loads multiple instances of it in ram separately, which then all run as independent programs, with their own memory spaces, etc. They essentially don't even know the other instances exist.
I think this is on track. Thanks.

Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. But I've had many plugs sound like sh!t after one instance.
so true heh
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Tramp View Post
So, any developers willing to explain how a plugin can process 100 tracks independently and simultaneously?
The same way eight cooks, each with a copy of a single recipe, can as a group bake 100 cakes an hour. If they hurry and can crank 'em out fast enough. Or four or two or one cook (but they have to be fast, and they have less time to keep the kitchen clean and brew a pot of coffee.)
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatz42 View Post
The same way eight cooks, each with a copy of a single recipe, can as a group bake 100 cakes an hour. If they hurry and can crank 'em out fast enough. Or four or two or one cook (but they have to be fast, and they have less time to keep the kitchen clean and brew a pot of coffee.)
But there is only one .dpm cook, and 48 stereo recipes!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Tramp View Post
But there is only one .dpm cook, and 48 stereo recipes!
For this you need Lucille Ball.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Unless the plug-in is written in an unusual manner, every instance is separate.

Some plugins that use DSP cards might do things a little differently, but unless the plugs are designed to do something behind the scenes like sidechaining or a rewire type setup, each instance should always be totally independent of the others. There's no difference, technically, from running a different plug on each channel.

Of course, if a plug has a distinctive sound, that might cause some stacking of some frequencies, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search