The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSP cards, the liquid channel and pro tools le latency, what gives? Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

DSP cards, the liquid channel and pro tools le latency, what gives?

Please be gentle. I am fairly new to computer recording. I have more of a background in tape machines etc.

I own an 002R and several pieces of outboard gear. I would like to get into plug ins a little more. I have the standard digi factory plugs now. They seem ok. I want to explore higher end plugs but want to take it easy on the old cpu. Here is my question:

I am interested in either the liquid channel or the Universal Audio UAD-1e Express Pak (PCI Express DSP Card). Now I know the liquid chanel has latency issues with pro tools le. What about the DSP cards? What is your advice for plugs that will not tax my cpu? With some of the plugs that I use now that introduce latency, I just add the plug to all chanels and turn off the actual plug on channels I am not using it on. Will that trick work with the liquid channel and/or DSP cards?

Hey thanks in advance for the info.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Protools LE does not have Plugin Delay Compensation, whereas, HD does. It's crazy and not right, but it is, what it is. Anything you use that has to leave the DAW and got out to either the PCI(e) buss or via FW will cause latency. There are workarounds and once you get used to it, it really is no big deal. You have compensated for the latency. I think a lot of people just avoid these plugs when using LE. It's up to you, but be prepared for some frustration until you get used to it. Do a search here and the DUC to get more info. Shelling out he dough for HD is not justifiable for just Delay Compensation, but it sure is a nice feature.

Good Luck
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

using a DSP card or the liquid mix might give you some fantastic sounding results, but it may also require you to develop a new workflow so that you can deal with latency issues. it might take some experiementation to find the best way of working for you.

you'd be surprised at how many plugins you can run on a computer - don't be afraid to use the plugs. if you start getting low on DSP, then "print" a few of the tracks that you are comfortable with and remove the plugs to free up some DSP.

If you are a relative newbie, i would think that dealing with the latency issues with something like the liquid mix might prove a little frustrating and challenging for you.
Old 26th August 2007
Deleted User
Focusrite has a good document(s) on setting up your PTLE session to handle the latency issues with Liquid Mix.

Quote:
Pro Tools 7 LE includes a plugin called Time Adjuster which can be used to delay audio tracks by a certain number of samples. This is a useful way of manually setting delay compensation for tracks which are not delayed by the Liquid Mix plugin. The simplest way to set this up is to use two separate buses: one for audio tracks with Liquid Mix plugins inserted, and another bus for those without. This way, only one time adjuster plugin is required to adjust all non-delayed audio tracks. A typical busing setup is shown in the screenshot below (Click to see a full size version).
From: How do I setup Liquid Mix for use with Pro Tools 7? .: Focusrite Answerbase

This approach works with other plugs/hardware like UAD that introduce latency.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey thanks barry, gainstages and chucks. I think I am on the right track. I have been recording at home for demos going on 2 years now. I usually take my final songs to a studio but lately I have been getting pretty good results at home and I am happy.

Gearslutz is a large portion of the reason for my success (as well as drain on my bank account!).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search