The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many can yours handle? Dynamics Plugins
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

How many can yours handle?

Just wondering how other peoples machines perform with plugs.

How many can you run before it starts to get pair-shaped?

I know it depends on how hungry your plugs are... But post some numbers of how many of your instances of favorite channel strip you can insert before your ASIO meter starts blipping the redline.

Mine started blipping this morning, and I discovered I was running 11 instances of SSL4000 stereo channel strip, 3 of waves Rchannel, 7 of waves Tuverb, 2 IKM Ampeg SVX, 2 PSP Vintage warmer, 2 waves Rcomp, 1 Tubedriver & a Roomworx... Crikey!

Would you consider this 'Loaded'?

This system is a brand new core 2 duo set up running with an i88x.

I had to set my audio priority to low in cubase to stop the ASIO freak outs...

Time for a powercore I reckon...
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I usually run an average of 24-32 tracks. Also a few busses as well. I don't normally, but have used a comp and/or EQ on all channels and several reverbs, delays, etc. All Native with no issues. My cpu is a Pentium 4, not dual core here. I usually don't start adding these effects until mix time, and rarely use this many, but again I have. At mix you can change your buffer settings to offset this considerably. If you haven't already, I'd try this before buying the powercore. Unless of course you just wanna.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
I usually run an average of 24-32 tracks. Also a few busses as well. I don't normally, but have used a comp and/or EQ on all channels and several reverbs, delays, etc. All Native with no issues. My cpu is a Pentium 4, not dual core here. I usually don't start adding these effects until mix time, and rarely use this many, but again I have. At mix you can change your buffer settings to offset this considerably. If you haven't already, I'd try this before buying the powercore. Unless of course you just wanna.
Good point.

I'm a sucker for adding plugs as I go... I only record my own stuff, and I find it helps when i'm writing/recording simultaneously.

And yeah, I think I just wanna. heh
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I hear ya! I am the same way, but try to keep the EQ and comp for the mix or use busses to bring down the plugin count whereever possible. Enjoy the Powercore.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search