The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Please. Macbook 2.16 Ghz vs Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz audio performance? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 24th August 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Thumbs up Help Please. Macbook 2.16 Ghz vs Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz audio performance?

Hello fellow slutz.

I am contemplating adding a laptop computer to my current rig for mobile recording and mixing. I currently have a 2.13 Core 2 Duo system PC. I am running PTLE and always max my 48 tracks @ 88 or 96K.

I am contemplating the Macbook 2.16 Ghz Vs the Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz.

It seems to me that the specs for both laptops are almost identical with the exception of the Macbook Pro has " 4MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed " as apposed to the Macbook's 667 FSB.
What is the actual FSB for the Macbook pro?

As far as audio/ plugin performance, is there that much of a difference?
There is a large price gap between the 2 models of about 700 dollars. I don't wanna spend an extra 700 bucks just so I can run 1 more reverb and 1 more delay. Im after the best performace/ price ratio. Either unit I would max out the RAM.

I would like opions and experiences with either models or if you have insight. Are you guys able to mix equally well on either model?

Micah
Old 24th August 2007
  #2
Gear Nut
 
jacksonburn's Avatar
 

I am also struggling with the same question and would appreciate any experience with this. From my research here's what I've found the differences are:

It appears that the macbook's graphics are based on the Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory whereas the pro is based on the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM. That might translate into a little performance improvement over the macbook.

Other than that, you have the option of 4GB RAM on the pro as opposed to 2GB on the macbook and the pro has a FW800 port whereas the mackbook only has the 400.

BTW - The macbook processor is also listed with 4MB shared L2 cache.

But, really, either would be a huge improvement over my 1.8GHZ G5 iMac with 1 GB RAM. And the price difference really has me leaning toward the macbook, since it doesn't appear that the pro translates into $700 worth of performance improvement.
Old 25th August 2007
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

I've noticed that observation.. but like you I am wondering if it is worth the price difference of 700 dollars? I mean you could buy a new tube mic for that difference. Any other opinions?
Old 25th August 2007
  #4
Gear Addict
 
matt82aust's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonburn View Post
I am also struggling with the same question and would appreciate any experience with this. From my research here's what I've found the differences are:

It appears that the macbook's graphics are based on the Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory whereas the pro is based on the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM. That might translate into a little performance improvement over the macbook.

Other than that, you have the option of 4GB RAM on the pro as opposed to 2GB on the macbook and the pro has a FW800 port whereas the mackbook only has the 400.

BTW - The macbook processor is also listed with 4MB shared L2 cache.

But, really, either would be a huge improvement over my 1.8GHZ G5 iMac with 1 GB RAM. And the price difference really has me leaning toward the macbook, since it doesn't appear that the pro translates into $700 worth of performance improvement.
i was in same place. 1.8 g5 imac to macbook.
neer looked back, huge leap in performace!
Old 27th August 2007
  #5
Gear Nut
 
jacksonburn's Avatar
 

Well, I went for the Macbook 2.16GHZ White and bought 2 1GB sticks of RAM from datamem.com. I got it with the student discount and the free iPod and printer through mail-in rebate. Sold the iPod on Ebay for $170. I'll try to sell the printer too since I don't need it. Turned out to be a pretty sweet deal!
Old 28th August 2007
  #6
doesn't the MPB come with 7.2K HDs??? or am I mistaken?
Old 28th August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
sardi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
doesn't the MPB come with 7.2K HDs??? or am I mistaken?
Nah that's a BTO option. Standard has 5400 drives..... unless summin changed recently.
Old 28th August 2007
  #8
Gear Nut
 
jacksonburn's Avatar
 

Yeah, $225 for a 160GB 7200RPM drive @ apple.com.
Old 28th August 2007
  #9
not that bad... worth every penny
Old 28th August 2007
  #10
Gear Nut
 
jacksonburn's Avatar
 

You can probably get one for $150-$175, install it yourself and save some dough. Just like with the RAM. Stuff is easy to install on Macs.
Old 28th August 2007
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonburn View Post
You can probably get one for $150-$175, install it yourself and save some dough. Just like with the RAM. Stuff is easy to install on Macs.
I know installing HD on a macbook is a piece of cake, but is it on a macbook pro?
Old 28th August 2007
  #12
Gear Nut
 
jacksonburn's Avatar
 

I don't know about the difficulty of upgrading a pro. If it's anything like an iMac or MB then it should be easy.

I was really speaking to the idea that you can get a macbook and upgrade it to close to MBP specs for quite a bit cheaper than you can buy a MBP. When it's all said and done, I will have roughly $1240 total in my Macbook 2.16GHZ w/ 2GB of RAM (that's after selling the free iPod and printer) vs $2000ish for a new 2.2GHZ MBP.
Old 28th August 2007
  #13
well, I don't know about the imac, BUT the macbook it's just a matter of twisting a button to take the battery out, then removing 2 screws to get access to both RAM and HD.
I don't think a MBP and the iMac are that easy... but...
Old 29th August 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
sardi's Avatar
 

Yeah it's NOT easy on a MBP. It's pretty much the same sort of affair as changing an old iBook HD. My Apple Tech mate did that for me once. My god..... I was BLOWN away at how many screw he pulled out to get to the HD. Not to mention the cracking plastic sound when he was pulling the case apart.

I remember him telling me to go do something else whilst he replaced the drive as he knew I would freak out!! HAHAHAHA!!

Machine was like new again though.

But yeah, MacBook is a piece of cake. Now I can change my own drive. heh
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
speerchucker / Music Computers
0
HighKing / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
atticus / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump