The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which new iMac???
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Question Which new iMac???

I'm in a dilema,

I'm wanting a new mac and I'm stuck between:

new Imacs:

20" 2.0GHz with 4GB Ram.

20" 2.4GHz with 2GB Ram.

I can run up to 30-40 tracks in SOME sessions and probably 1-2 plug-ins/ vsti on half of those tracks, ranging from guitar rig and battery to some izotope plug-ins.

Would the 2.0GHz be enough??

I use to use a powerbook G4 (1.6Ghz and 1.5 GB ram) with protools and got up to about 25-30 tracks with plugs and that killed the G4.

Anyway much help appreciated.

Also what happens when leopard comes out and I buy a Mac now? Do I get a free upgrade or something??

Cheers, Matt.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

If i was in your 'dilemma', i would go with the 4Gb Ram/2.0Ghz model.

You need to wait till Leopard comes out (Oct), otherwise you will have to pay for an upgrade. It will not be a free update even if you buy an Imac now.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear
santibanks's Avatar
Im not sure for waiting till leopard comes out. Im sure its not as worse as with windows but at least Digidesign doesn't work with leopard the first month (or maybe longer?) and Im sure there are other companies with the same problems. If that new logic is only going to work with leopard then I think they made some dramatic changes to stuff like CoreAudio. In that case, lots of drivers maybe don't work properly.

I have the same dilemma and I t hink I still go for the 2,4 gHz as it has a larger harddisk (not really interesting) and also videocard with double the RAM.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Well HDD size isn't a huge problem for me as I've got a 250 GB firewire 800 external.
I've been told before that RAM and HDD speed are the most important factors for DAWs.
Thats why I'm leaning more to the 2.0GHz/ 4GB model.

And also I'd have a few hundred more $$$ so I can buy some more plug-ins.

I like to play games (use to a lot) but for the year that I had my powerbook I got over it.
I would like a better graphics card but that'd be icing on the cake and probably wouldn't get used enough.
Old 24th August 2007
Registered User
Originally Posted by spector29 View Post
I'm in a dilema,

I'm wanting a new mac and I'm stuck between:

new Imacs:

20" 2.0GHz with 4GB Ram.

20" 2.4GHz with 2GB Ram.
You can always add more RAM, but you can't swap out processors, so you may want to consider the faster machine initially.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Good points.

Can you afford to stick with your current system to do your work?
Is it a 'need' for you to have to buy this computer right now?
Thats what i ask myself. For me, i concluded that 'Tiger' release would be the 'need' but yeah, it will be another wait for PT and everyone else to have new versions.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Well I kinda 'need' one at the moment but I'm prepared to wait.
I'm a self producing artist and I use my computer as an instrument and a recording device so i'd prefer to have one now.
I may be going on some business trips soon so I may think about a macbook or but then again I'd loose out on the level of RAM and HDD speed.

I'm interested in waiting to see these new processors coming out in november, could mean a decent boost in performance for the iMac for the same price.

I mean a lot of people have made records on less quality computers than 2GHz c2d's.
So I've got to take that into account.

Cheers Matt.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict
Will's Avatar

I'd go for the 2.4 for sure, much better video card, bigger drive, faster machine, upgrade the RAM later.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Actually I've been doing some research on the iMacs and found out that the old iMac 17" 2.0Ghz core 2 duo is only marginally slower than the newer 20" 2.0Ghz model.
Basically the only difference is the santa rosa chipset and a DX10 graphics card thats only marginally better.
Also I save $400 and it costs me only $95 Australian to upgrade to 2GB of Ram.

So its around $1450 Aus for the old and around $1850-$1900.

Big saving on a marginally slower system.

I'd get a mac pro if only I had a screen and $3300 to spare.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread Starter / Forum
halfguard / Music Computers
whereisbkp / Music Computers
*$%($*(@!! / Music Computers
bassmac / Music Computers
C.Lambrechts / So much gear, so little time

Forum Jump
Forum Jump