The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx vs. RME Audio Interfaces
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Lynx vs. RME

I'm not too happy with the monitoring confusion of the Lynx AES16.
I LOVE the sound of it with the Aurora 8 , but find it stressfull to setup direct monitoring mixes....(I'm using Nuendo 3)

RME's totalmix looks much more impressive as far as direct monitoring is concerned....so how does it stand(sound wise) compared to the Lynx?
Keep in mind, I would still be using the Aurora for AD/DAs.

Any thoughts/experience?

aaron
Old 24th August 2007
Deleted 86c3d96
routing

It works as advertised, and I doubt that you would be disappointed
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman View Post

RME's totalmix looks much more impressive as far as direct monitoring is concerned....so how does it stand(sound wise) compared to the Lynx?
If your using the same converters you shouldn't hear a difference, unless you can also hear a difference in several AC cables...
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I LOVE the sound of it with the Aurora 8 , but find it stressfull to setup direct monitoring mixes....(I'm using Nuendo 3)

Any thoughts/experience?

aaron

I have the FF 800, i love the total mix software when it comes to DM, but i was thinking of getting the new lynx AES PCIe card when it comes out, what seems to be the problem with DM with the lynx ?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Any thoughts/experience?

aaron
I have both Lynx's AES16 and RME's AES32 and soundwise both are equally excellent.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Obostic,
Do you find RME's routing to be easier than Lynx?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

RME-LYNX in 64 channels?

Running two RME AES-32's into two Aurora 16's. Very happy with that, but now I want to expand beyond 32 channels, any suggestions? Running out of PCI slots. Lslot with FF 800 instead? Or the new RME PCIe with MADI and then to AES? The cheapest might be 4 x LYNX AES-16, but not sure about that.

The RME mixer was actually a bit confusing to begin with (especially with two cards), but once you understand the matrix window it's not too bad to use.

Still considering getting a separate cue mixer to get some EQ, it would also be nice to have a separate hardware unit for that. Four stereo mixes for the headphones would do fine. But with 64 input channels in AES/EBU format? Something from Yamaha?

Martin

Last edited by Martin Kantola; 25th August 2007 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: I'm slow today
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Obostic,
Yeah, It's pretty hard to beat RME's totalmix and I have always found the Lynx mixer a bit counter intuitive.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

not to hijack... have any of you guys used MOTU cards with cue mix? Is it on par with Lynx and RME?
Old 25th August 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by obostic View Post
Yeah, It's pretty hard to beat RME's totalmix .
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm really intrigued by the Soundscape Mixpander card and SSL I/O boxes but it's a big chunk of change for my purposes. (about $1300 for the card and around $3500 for I/O converter box) I only really need 8 to 10 channels of input and 2 to 4 output at a time so it's a little hard to justify.

That said, if any of you need 24 or more channels of I/O at once and need to do several headphone mixes at once and want effects on those mixes with near zero latency (4 samples or something insignificant like that) you should really give this stuff a hard look!

Sydec Audio Engineering - Soundscape | Digital Audio Workstations | Mixpander

SSL

Soundscape Mixpander Power Pak & Mixtreme*192
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Obostic,
I owned 2 firefaces, and now own an aurora and aes 16. The rme total mix kicks the CRAP out of the lynx monitoring software. No contest. Very easy to work with.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

I've been thinking about getting an Aurora 16 to replace my Fireface, but I don't want to give up the excellent direct monitoring with TotalMix. How will you still do AD/DA with the Aurora? I suppose you'll run all your audio through the Fireface and then out to the Aurora, is that right? Or perhaps the other way around - all audio through the Aurora first and then out to the FF for monitoring? (I think the latter would make more sense with an Aurora 16 as the FF only has 10 analog inputs).
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I owned 2 firefaces, and now own an aurora and aes 16. The rme total mix kicks the CRAP out of the lynx monitoring software. No contest. Very easy to work with.
haven't used the lynx but i use the rme daily. totalmix rocks. I never use software monitoring, do all my monitoring and digital routing in totalmix. very intuitive and powerful.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

I auditioned the lunx aurora next to the fireface 800 a while ago, couldn't hear a difference, (though I wasn't happy about the genelec 8040s/sub it was coming through)

I bought the RME. the routing is 100% flexable: anything can be sent anywhere at any level and pan with no delay.

It take a small while to get your head round what totlamix is showing you but you won't regret it.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzaB View Post
I auditioned the lunx aurora next to the fireface 800 a while ago, couldn't hear a difference, (though I wasn't happy about the genelec 8040s/sub it was coming through)

I bought the RME. the routing is 100% flexable: anything can be sent anywhere at any level and pan with no delay.

It take a small while to get your head round what totlamix is showing you but you won't regret it.
I would like to get 24 outs (I would prefer 32) at 88.2 kHz without taking up 4 PCI slots. Can the RME MADI do this?

Laser
Old 12th September 2007
What's wrong with the lynx card? I need to know this because I am going to buy an aurrora 16. Will RME card be compatable with the aurora 16 or do I need two RME cards? don't those things take up two spaces as well?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzaB View Post
I auditioned the lunx aurora next to the fireface 800 a while ago, couldn't hear a difference
Boy, I sure could. Its kinda night and day for me. Especially the A/D, whoa boy! I don't know whats taking Lynx so long to get their monitoring happening though. Its just not on the level with pretty much every other soundcard company. Why is that?
Old 12th September 2007
LYNX WINS HANDS DOWN

I've been using RME Multiface for few years and I think is great!
I have also the lynx Aurora 16 and actually today I opened the same session with both interfaces...and I could not believe how big was the difference...not tiny a somehow better...The lynx was much , much better, bigger, cleaner, tighter..wider stereo image and better detail and clarity!

They are is such a different league...you can not compare them.
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
I have also the lynx Aurora 16 and actually today I opened the same session with both interfaces...and I could not believe how big was the difference...not tiny a somehow better...The lynx was much , much better, bigger, cleaner, tighter..wider stereo image and better detail and clarity!

did you look at the pricetag for both? multiface 1k$, lynx 2k$

what do you expect?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post

what do you expect?
I think he was speaking directly to the poster who said they couldn't hear the difference between a Fireface and an Aurora. Hey, and some people like the Fireface more than Apogee Rosettas! (They are nuts though).
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Lynx converters absolutely sound much better...I was just wondering if the PCI-e card would make a difference weither I use RME or Lynx.(I'm still using my Lynx Aurora converters) I REALLY want the routing capabilities of RME's Totalmix, but I like the stability of using the Lynx AEs16 with the Lynx converters(made for each other).

Really wish Lynx with use a Totalmix approach to routing.
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post

what do you expect?
I expect to sound much better!!

and that is s good sign, not always in audio if you pay more sounds better,
and I am responding what somebody asked here ...

Quote:

Any thoughts/experience?

aaron
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the convertors on the Multiface are not the same as the Fireface 800. The 800 uses RME's best convertors.
Old 13th September 2007
call me nuts
very possibly I am
(in fact I know I am)
but the FF800 at 96K is lo-ve-ly
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
call me nuts
very possibly I am
(in fact I know I am)
but the FF800 at 96K is lo-ve-ly
Yes, but the Lynx Aurora at 44.1 is lovely. Thats the thing about the higher quality converters, there is less of a difference between sampling rates.
Old 13th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Yes, but the Lynx Aurora at 44.1 is lovely. Thats the thing about the higher quality converters, there is less of a difference between sampling rates.
yes, but once I got my greedy claws on a spanking new 8 core it'll be 96K (only)

CDs are presumably "dead" but take a look at this hardware...
DJM-800 Pioneer Mixers - DJÂ*Products

that's IMO where it's heading... up, not down
mp3 was just a bump in the road

BTW the RME monitoring is very nice. I prefer it over software monitoring in Logic.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nothing felt better than selling my RME gear. The Lynx aes-16 aurora 16 combo sounds amazing. The Lynx routing and direct monitor (with Nuendo) is a joke (new driver may fix some issues, we'll see) but man it runs rock solid at low buffer settings and never bugs out on me with high CPU usage. Can't say that for the RME. And although George at Synthax is the nicest guy and great with the RME support, the company RME and their elitist attitude leaves a lot to be desired IMO.
I seriously considered the AES32 option with the aurora 16, but there's no way I'd ever buy anything RME again after using them for a couple painful years.

I no longer question what is going on with my system. It would have been worth twice the price of the Lynx for that feeling alone.
Old 14th September 2007
500 series nutjob

personal i have to say that RME has gone far out of their way to take care of me.
and talk about about elitist attitude well that is what i got from Lynx
so for me it is RME!
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
... and talk about about elitist attitude well that is what i got from Lynx
Care to elaborate?

In my experience, the folks at Lynx are very down to earth and helpful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search