The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx vs. RME Audio Interfaces
Old 14th September 2007
What is crappy about the routing on the lynx card? I'm looking into getting an aurora soon.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey View Post
the company RME and their elitist attitude leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

but there's no way I'd ever buy anything RME again after using them for a couple painful years.
I echo your thoughts, decent products, but god awful support IMO. Keep up the great work Paul(Lynxstudio).thumbsup
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey View Post
The Lynx routing and direct monitor (with Nuendo) is a joke (new driver may fix some issues, we'll see)
Joke as in it works well or joke as though its a pain in the ass? If its a pain, what buffers are you running? Thanks.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
What is crappy about the routing on the lynx card? I'm looking into getting an aurora soon.
I think the worst of it was fixed in a firmware update.
I think there were some restrictions in sending so many inputs to an output while direct monitoring. You can probably search for it and find the real details from people who actually know heh. Never been an issue for me personally as I only use direct monitor way after the major tracking work is done. TotalMix is a much better app for routing signal all over the place, too bad it's attached to an RME card.
The bummer for me using the aes16 was it was not following the nuendo mixer when using direct monitor (something the RME did perfectly) When you dropped a fader 5db while direct monitoring the signal would drop to nothing. Even with the fader at 0 the levels of playback and direct monitor were about 3-4 db different. It looks like this is fixed in the newest driver, but punching in direct monitor mode (transition from playback to direct monitor) still sounds a little uneasy.
And yes... Paul at Lynx is the best.thumbsup
Old 14th September 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
Care to elaborate?

In my experience, the folks at Lynx are very down to earth and helpful.
no, i really do not want to dis them as they have just had a bad day.
i should have just pointed out the fact that RME has been very good to me.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut
Cool

I'm about to purchase an Aurora 16.
In my studio I do A LOT of live tracking and so being able to send lots of different headphones mixes was going to be really important.
I' currently using 2x MOTU hd192 and a MOTU 2408mkiii which uses the Cuemix monitoring software. Cuemix is sooo damn powerful I can do anything!
the AES16 card with teh Aurora can only monitor 4 channels at a time sooo..
I'm selling the 192's but keeping the 2408... getting the Aurora 16 with an Adat expansion and running it into the motu and then back out again..
That way I can use my 2408's analong IN's for crap things like Click, TB and CD player etc PLUS use it to send my headphone sends (which don't need the over the top D/A).
AND I should still in theory be tracking with the Aurora High Quality A/D and then monitoring through the Aurora D/A as well.

hopefully it'll all work.

POINT BEING.. check out the motu Cuemix systems.. MOTU is heaps cheaper than the RME stuff and will serve the same purpose.. if not better.

..thats my 2 cents worth anyway
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
Joke as in it works well or joke as though its a pain in the ass? If its a pain, what buffers are you running? Thanks.
Post above pretty much tells the story. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the AES16 even with it's issues. I run it at 64 not using direct monitor when tracking basics. When the CPU meter creeps up I switch to direct monitor during overdubs.
In my experience the Lynx card runs solid with high CPU usage and lower buffer settings while the RME does not.
Old 17th September 2007
mmm actually I've had very different experiences with the RME support.
in fact it has been excellent, and very pro.
the hammerfall card was the best soundcard I've ever owned.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem5 View Post
the AES16 card with teh Aurora can only monitor 4 channels at a time
No longer true.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
No longer true.
Depending on the sample rate though. At 44.1 or 48 I think it's 22 sources and then scales down to where only 4 are available at 192 kHz. supposedly the new AES-16e card will have no limitations regarless of sample rate. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search