The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to upload large session files?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Best way to upload large session files?

What's the best way for someone to upload session files to me?

I have an iDisk, but it's really slow, and haven't had success with people trying to upload 2-3 gigs of material. I'm on a Mac and use Logic Pro.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Do you mean in the studio ? well a Fire wire drive is fast

If you mean over the Internet then ............... its all s l o w . . . . . . . . . .

Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Do you mean in the studio ? well a Fire wire drive is fast

If you mean over the Internet then ............... its all s l o w . . . . . . . . . .

via Internet
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Depending on a lot of things (OS, Internet savvy, size of files, most important how good your connection is) I try to use iChat when I can to do this. I do a lot of sessions for people a a bassist and acoustic gtr, so what I ask for is stereo subs of the vox, drums, gtr/bass, and keys/extras and that will usually give me enough control to hear what I need and then track, without requiring massive amounts of file transfers.

A dedicated file server can be very handy, and many FTP programs have a feature that allows re-starting a session that may have been disrupted, so you don't lose the headway you've made on the download.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

I always feel like fed ex makes sense when it's more than a GB or so.....
Old 24th August 2007
A33
Gear Addict

Are you guys zipping the folders? I have had files compress from 2 gig to 260 mb

Makes uploading much faster

ADSL has an upload limit much slower than download ......I cant remember the numbers
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Of course you zip them, but I doubt you've had MUSIC files compress like that....
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
via Internet
I use Usendit it is free, or if you need to send larger files its cheep; and it works fine

Old 24th August 2007
A33
Gear Addict

I was very surprised myself, They were bounces which means a lot of blank sections which seemed to compress very well!!

I have been amazed at how many people dont zip before sending tracks over FTP ..

A lot of mac users I have worked with dont realize ctrl click "make archive" function

thumbsup

Sendspace! lets you send upto 300mb files for free
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

I usually use Stufit so the session is in one file

Old 24th August 2007
I'd recommend this:

Get a web host solution with e.g. 3 Gb of space. This will cost next to nothing per month, a few dollars.

Make sure there is no file size restrictions with the web host (some have a 50 Mb or 100 Mb restriction per file).

Simply upload/download via an FTP client or use the built-in FTP functions of your operating system. I prefer Transmit (Mac OS X).

Preferably you should pack the audio file(s) as a ZIP or RAR archive before uploading. Windows users can choose e.g. Monkeys Audio (which is specifically built for reducing audio file sizes) or WinRAR, while Mac users can choose StuffIt or RAR (or the built-in compression function of OS X by control-clicking on a file and selecting the compression function).

By packing the files you will get slightly shorter upload times due to a decrease in file size (non stop audio isn't normally reduced very much though), but more importantly you are guaranteed 100% data integrity via the checksum process. In this way the audio is completely identical in both ends of the file transfer. File size compression is not the same as audio compression, there is no loss of fidelity.

This is the fastest and most secure way.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyserial View Post
I always feel like fed ex makes sense when it's more than a GB or so.....
Exactly. However yousendit.com is not bad. Also used this thing called pando. It really depends on your connection speed. Most people dont have the upload power speed necessary.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

I've had good luck with my ftp and Filezilla on pc.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Lagerfeldt! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
I'd recommend this:

Get a web host solution with e.g. 3 Gb of space. This will cost next to nothing per month, a few dollars.

Make sure there is no file size restrictions with the web host (some have a 50 Mb or 100 Mb restriction per file).

Simply upload/download via an FTP client or use the built-in FTP functions of your operating system. I prefer Transmit (Mac OS X).

Preferably you should pack the audio file(s) as a ZIP or RAR archive before uploading. Windows users can choose e.g. Monkeys Audio (which is specifically built for reducing audio file sizes) or WinRAR, while Mac users can choose StuffIt or RAR (or the built-in compression function of OS X by control-clicking on a file and selecting the compression function).

By packing the files you will get slightly shorter upload times due to a decrease in file size (non stop audio isn't normally reduced very much though), but more importantly you are guaranteed 100% data integrity via the checksum process. In this way the audio is completely identical in both ends of the file transfer. File size compression is not the same as audio compression, there is no loss of fidelity.

This is the fastest and most secure way.
Old 25th August 2007

Super

Michael, noticed you're doing music for Splinter Cell? I recently mastered Yuzo Koshiro's Wangan 3 (Namco) and mastering for a PlayStation 3 game at the moment.
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Does zipping sessions effect the quality at all? I don't see how zipping a session thats 5 gb down to 3 gb can not cause any harm to the audio files??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search