The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MS Word on Music MacPro = Bad Idea? DAW Software
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

MS Word on Music MacPro = Bad Idea?

Hi,

I consider buying a MacPro/Logic/Symphony system, or a MacPro/PTHD1. But I write a lot of lyrics and would like to do so on the same machine, preferably in MS Word.

However, I've read that Word is a Bad Thing on music PC's -- the culprit is supposed to be an indexing tool -- so I'd like to know if there are issues on Mac(Pro)s as well?

I asked in the Cubase forum (I use Cubase SX3 on a PC for the moment), but nobody seemed to have severe horror stories, apart from the fact that Word isn't UB yet and tend to crash from time to time.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Why not try Apple's new Pages app - it is bundled with iWork 08 and replaces the long in the tooth Appleworks 6.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks -- in fact I do consider Pages, and I checked the site yesterday.

But I may need better navigation tools, as I have to be able to jump very quickly from song to song.

Besides, I'm writing the libretto to a musical as well and I'm not convinced that Pages can handle that.
Old 23rd August 2007
TTB

I had Word on Macbook Pro (Intel)It didnt seem to have problems, But I dumped it and Use Open Office or Pages (iWork)

Open Office is FREE and has programs just like Word, Excel, Power Point, etc in their Office Suite.

OpenOffice.org: Home
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB View Post
Open Office is FREE and has programs just like Word, Excel, Power Point, etc in their Office Suite.
Thank you, maybe I should give it a try. But I am a little cautious -- I come from PC's, and in that world freeware often means trouble.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I've had word on my studio machines for years. I haven't had any problems with dropouts or inability to perform at low latency. I wouldn't worry about it. I do disable a lot of services in msconfig, so it's possible I'm disabling the indexing.

Quote:
I had Word on Macbook Pro (Intel)It didnt seem to have problems, But I dumped it and Use Open Office or Pages (iWork)

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
I've had word on my studio machines for years. I haven't had any problems with dropouts or inability to perform at low latency.
Thanks, that's good to hear!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac
I had MS Word 04 on my Mac Pro with Logic Pro running with no problems.
It did seem a bit slow opening up etc. But once it was opened, seemed to run fine.
No crashing etc., but I don't do much with Word.
Pages does seem faster and works just as good IMO.
Later
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't imagine the need to run MS Word for lyric writing? I use a few different apps but my favourite app is a very cheap program called "Scrivener"

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html

I use it for writing fiction but also for lyrics -- it allows you to set up multiple little tabs for each song, and it also has corkboards for idea tracking, and all sorts of things.

MS Word is so long in the tooth and so awful and buggy on my mac, I've all but removed it!!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
I can't imagine the need to run MS Word for lyric writing?
Well, I write books as well, and I do believe I need Word for that. But SCRIVENER actually looks very interesting -- especially because of the tabs you mention.

So, thanks a lot!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Another vote for OpenOffice, I use it as well and think it's great.

It can also read and save Word formatted text.

(Before installing make sure you have X11 installed from the Tiger installer DVD.)
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Hello,
I've used Office on my music macs for years, no problems. Turn off the auto-updating (or whatever it's called) features.
H
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Neooffice.org

Same as open office but you don't need X11 and it got "real" menus.

/Jens
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens View Post
Neooffice.org

Same as open office but you don't need X11 and it got "real" menus.

/Jens
+1

and donate!!

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you all, you've been very helpful! I'll check the programs out...
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

I'm thinking what's not being said is that you're WAY better off to use another computer for almost everything if you can......I've been way down that road and in the end, even though I use Macs, it is STILL better to separate them, but that's if you can....if not, then I would think about Neoffice, since at least you don't have to put the X11 stuff in....and who wants to give MS money anyways?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILL View Post
I'm thinking what's not being said is that you're WAY better off to use another computer for almost everything if you can......I've been way down that road and in the end, even though I use Macs, it is STILL better to separate them, but that's if you can....if not, then I would think about Neoffice, since at least you don't have to put the X11 stuff in....and who wants to give MS money anyways?
Yes, I really wish I could use 2 computers, but I need two large displays when I write, and two large displays for the DAW. And I'll be completely confused if I have to use four displays in all. (I'm writing a musical -- libretto/lyrics and music -- so I need to integrate the whole thing as much as possible.)
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

the concept of word screwing up audio programs came when there where issues with the "alerts" from messenger and or word. i think it was mostly happening with digicore audio, that when an alert came and u where using pro tools or the digicore audio then it made it crashed. but they fixed that.

still , i recomend pages or masterwritter if u have a PC or bootcamp.

i like that program a lot. its gives u rhymes, thesaurus, and even rhyming phrases.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
still , i recomend pages or masterwritter if u have a PC or bootcamp.

i like that program a lot. its gives u rhymes, thesaurus, and even rhyming phrases.
Yes, I use Masterwriter; it must be the easiest rhyming dictionary in this world... Could be a little faster though, especially on MacIntel... But as you say, it's nice on PC.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search