The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Attn: Laptop DAW Users Audio Interfaces
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp54u View Post
I really don't want to lug around an external drive if I don't have to.
You should, systems are generally more stable when all the files are an external and the programs on internal drives...

By the way I did a project last summer with the first gen of macbook pro (2Go intel duo core).. External drive pluged in the fireface800 all into the one fw400 of the mac. More than 35 tracks (24/96)and plugs and the thing was not shaking even a little.
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

I use a laptop for mobile. I also hated having to plug the external to a power outlet. I dont mind plugging the laptop up, just the short external cord is annoying. I stopped using it and put everything on my internal even tho it's not recommended. I don't do tracking. I just make beats with VSTi, so I bought Cubase Essential 4 for my mobile rig and use VSTi that load into ram instead of stream. It's worked out pretty fine for me.
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

I use an ADK laptop & firebox. USB flash drive? Yup. CPU load is a little higher BUT it does not require external power and most importantly, it keeps my system drive clean and not fragmented.

My situation is kind of unique for using a laptop for audio. My day gig is a remote manufacturing engineer. I am tethered to a VPN 8 hours a day at home. My day gig PC is in my studio (cramped home). I had to set up there for privacy from kids and wifey. It's a pretty big setup with 3 screens, 2 towers, more apps than I care for, VOIP, etc...

So I hate going into my studio now since that's where my day gig is. Laptop solved everything. I can record in my friggin bed with a guitar and amp sims. Mix on the couch, whatever. I absolutely love it. Plus I have this ADK set up for dual boot, so it shares duties for me.

All that said, I don't think I would ever buy another tower.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search