The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
working efficiently at 88.2 Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

working efficiently at 88.2

I just started working at a higher sample rate because i love the warmth and smoothness of it. IM wondering how you guys manage to work efficiently itb at 88.2 since u cant have as many plugs running. What do you use real time processing on vs direct processing. When u can only use so many plugs what are some of your set ups looking like? How do you work?

1 thing that sux is my uad 1 plugs wont let me right click on them and do direct processing with a CLEAN CRACKLE FREE preview. my powercore and waves plugs do though!

Thank you

Bryan
Old 23rd August 2007
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaesion View Post
I just started working at a higher sample rate because i love the warmth and smoothness of it. IM wondering how you guys manage to work efficiently itb at 88.2 since u cant have as many plugs running. What do you use real time processing on vs direct processing. When u can only use so many plugs what are some of your set ups looking like? How do you work?

1 thing that sux is my uad 1 plugs wont let me right click on them and do direct processing with a CLEAN CRACKLE FREE preview. my powercore and waves plugs do though!

Thank you

Bryan
Hey Bryan,

Give me some info about ya setup. I work at 88.2 and will never look back. I love it. It does sound smoother and wider and the plugins help with that sound.
I've learned to cut down on plugins but, when the Waves came out with the SSL bundle well, that all stopped. I use that mostly on every channel. In RTAS though. I have a beautiful Mac Pro 2.66ghz Quad and it's fire. I can have a 80 track session with Waves SSL on every channel and the SSL G-Buss Compressor on the master and the mix is half there. I usually go though the tracks that need HPF/LPF and I usually use compression for eqing anything that needs sticking out a little or something that needs to be tamed. I don't like to eq a lot but, when I do I usually reach for the Massenberg EQ.
After that, The mix is about 70% done really. I then pull up Aux for Reverb/Delays/Efx's and such whichs is about 3 reverbs maybe four, Three Delays maybe four, Different Efx which use up about 4 Aux tracks.
Make groups, create VCA's (I could kiss Digi for this) and I'm 90% there.
88.2 helps you have a full sound with the way the plugins act. I think it helps you get more of what urr looking for quickly and for some reason, the fades, editing, automation just sounds better at 88.2/96k.
So So gald that I upped for the HD system. Can't believe I waited this long.
I say use 88.2, perfect your mixing with the right plugins that's higher end. That's the key. Use the lower end plugins for efx's and such.

These plugins will save you time and power.

1. Waves SSL Bundle- The Best EQ/Compressor Channel Strip/BussCompressor Out There
2. TC Electronic VSS3 Reverb- Tha Best By Far
3. TD5-Tha Best Delay, Also Digi Delay iz Great
4. Eventide Reverb- 2nd Best Reverb IMHO
5. Ozone-I Call This The Finisher, Great Widner, Sub Harmonic, and Limiter/Dither Unit

There are many more but, those stick out to me off the head.

I hope this helps....

M2E
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

88.2k is the bomb. Even with an HD3, we only have 48 tracks. Because of production compatibility, I run 88.2k sparingly (bummer). I usually use it for big rythym dates, jazz, acoustic music generally.

The limited plugins is a hassle, but I find I use less of them at the higher rates. Was that really Bruce Swedien above?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hle144 View Post
Was that really Bruce Swedien above?
Quote:
and the SSL G-Buss Compressor on the master
Quote:
I usually use compression for eqing anything that needs sticking out a little or something that needs to be tamed
Nope, don't think so
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a 3.2 intel 2 gigs of ram 3 uad 1 cards and 1 powercore element. Things seem to be going pretty smooth so far. I love how warm everything is. It seemed that beofe i was spending alot of time trying to eq out 16 44 harshness......so now IM working and hearing things more how the pros do and when they say boost 100 for warmth or highs for air it actually sounds that way. In my experience downsampling to 44 does retain the warmth and smoothenss I achieved when mixing at 88.2 The biggest drag for me is upsampling the beats to 88.2 so I can record the vox at the higher rate and get the benefits of plug in performance. Theres no looking back fo rme either..........I record hiphop and rnb in a public studio 9 hrs a day. 88.2 takes alot of the harshness off my ears and I love that. I cant imagine I would be able to put all those ssl channel strips on all my channels............what really kills my uad 1 cards is reverb and delay. Its crazy that ur computer is so strong u can get all those plugs going at once at 88.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaesion View Post
I have a 3.2 intel 2 gigs of ram 3 uad 1 cards and 1 powercore element. Things seem to be going pretty smooth so far. I love how warm everything is. It seemed that beofe i was spending alot of time trying to eq out 16 44 harshness......so now IM working and hearing things more how the pros do and when they say boost 100 for warmth or highs for air it actually sounds that way. In my experience downsampling to 44 does retain the warmth and smoothenss I achieved when mixing at 88.2 The biggest drag for me is upsampling the beats to 88.2 so I can record the vox at the higher rate and get the benefits of plug in performance. Theres no looking back fo rme either..........I record hiphop and rnb in a public studio 9 hrs a day. 88.2 takes alot of the harshness off my ears and I love that. I cant imagine I would be able to put all those ssl channel strips on all my channels............what really kills my uad 1 cards is reverb and delay. Its crazy that ur computer is so strong u can get all those plugs going at once at 88.
Hey bro. Might help to know what software you are using, and would DEFINITELY help to know what sound card you are using?

I custom build DAW systems for professional clients, and I have several with Cubase or Nuendo that are doing huge track counts and 100's of plugs at 88.2K. It just takes a much faster computer than what you have.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Hey bro. Might help to know what software you are using, and would DEFINITELY help to know what sound card you are using?

I custom build DAW systems for professional clients, and I have several with Cubase or Nuendo that are doing huge track counts and 100's of plugs at 88.2K. It just takes a much faster computer than what you have.
thats awesome thanks man

im using nuendo 3 with an rme digiface and rosetta 800.

what should my next computer be?
IM at that point..only thing is IM stuck with 3 uad 1 cards and 1 powercore card that are pci not pci-e

so far im not peaking out but i get close

what computer would be good for me.........i may buy it from ya
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
[snip]... Was that really Bruce Swedien above?
Bruce used to post pretty frequently at Craig Anderton's forum at Harmony Central but I think he's got sort of a low tolerance for internet jerks. He seems like a very nice guy and seems to really want to help folks out and share his knowledge -- but he doesn't appear to have unlimited patience for people who don't know WTF they're talking about arguing from ignorance or trying to pick fights, looks like to me.

He still pops up to ask a provocative, koan-like question about music or art or how changing technology affecs music and art, so it's probably worth keeping your antennae up.

I think I've seen his posts here, on occasion, as well. AFAIK, he goes by his real name on those two boards. But perhaps he lurks or goes incognito, as well. I wouldn't blame him or any well-known person, frankly. People get goofy. Good and bad. But it can be goofy nonetheless.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Was that really Bruce Swedien above?
I think you just read the Bruce quote that M2E has in his signature line and took it as being M2E's name.

This quote:
"How long does it take to do a mix. - UNTIL IT'S DONE!!!
One thing I'd like you to understand. It's much easier to be done than to be satisfied!!

Bruce Swedien"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search