The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bootcamp gone wrong Studio Headphones
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Sessiondrive gone!!! (osx bootcamp mishap)

Hey all you knowledgable slutz out there. Here's what happened:

I went to install windows xp on our studio mac pro. So after burning the bootcamp driver cd i slit in a brand new harddrive for windows. Rebooted with the win cd, formatted the new drive and installed.

Actually the operation was a succes. But the patient kind of died.

After I was done installing the bootcamp drivers for windows, I booted up in osx only to discover, that my 'work' disc was gone from the desktop and replaced with the 'untitled' windows volume...

The disc utility does show the 'work' disc, but no volumes or partitions show. The file system says NTFS. Booting up in windows kinda comfirms this. G: shows up in 'my computer', but when double-clicked a dialog pops up saying "the drive not formatted. wan't to format?"...

Now let me just be clear: I did not by mistake format and install windows on the 'work' disc. I confirmed this by removing the new 'windows' disc from the computer and checking that windows was gone and the mysterious unreadable ntfs-drive was still there. It was.

What the hell happened!?

And how can get my work disc back!!?!? This is potentially years of work, some backup exists, but one of our Lacie-discs failed just this week.

In the future our backup is going to be TIGHT...
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

This has to do with the fact that Windows XP cannot properly see your Mac formatted disk. Your files should still be there, but you most likely will need a Mac OSX computer to access it properly.

Buy a new disk.

Boot up a mac box along with your old work disk. Boot up a windows box with a fresh/new work disk. Network them together and copy all your files over to the new disk.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I had problems when I first installed XP under bootcamp. I made a 32 gig FAT partition on a second physical drive and the Windows installation went fine, but the machine would never boot into Windows. After a lot of searching online I found some comments from other people that had similar problems when they installed the bootcamp partition on a second drive. I made a new FAT partition on the primary drive and went through the install all over again and it worked fine. I don't know if its coincidence or a true bug, but there is a pattern of this.

I know that doesn't really help you right now.. I would also suggest trying to read your primary drive from another Mac if possible. Maybe even pull the drive out and take it somewhere where you can install it on another Mac or put it in an external enclosure and plug it in via firewire or usb. Once you get the data you need off you can reinstall the OS..
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

I did try booting up in osx, but osx doesn't see the drive.

It's not my osx system-drive, it's the audio-drive.

I tried a free trial of a recovery program (I can't remember which now, I'm at home...) and by searching on the drive, it was able to find a lot of .wav-files, but they were all just called file.wav, and it seemed, that this particular program was only able to find the files, not the names paths... Plus it only did a particular set of file types.

It seems that it's all there, it's just missing the little part that says: "hey! I'm a mac formatted disc drive". Like it has been quick-formatted. (Only it hasn't...)

Anyone know if boomerang is any good for this kind of thing?
Edit: DiskWarrior seems to be the prefered tool for this kind of thing, and the statements on the website are convincing. Does this stuff work?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Bootcamp itself seems to work pretty good... Maybe I should change the thread title... Edit: done!
Old 23rd August 2007
Can you be more specific?

You had an Internal OS X disk

You had a "Work Disk"

You had a new XP drive

Total of 3 drives....?

DiskWarrior is an excellent tool... if it's just the directory which is damaged.

Rail
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Yeah 3 drives total.

My suspicion is, that some kind of 'master header' has been overwritten by windows. I guess that could be 'directory damage'...
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

DiskWarrior didn't do jack...

Boomerang is currently scanning the drive. 23 minutes left... I'll report back when it's done.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Boomerang did the trick... Copying all the files to the 'windows' drive (which I formatted to mac... so back to sqaure one on the bootcamp thing.

Had to shell out $100 for 30 day licence, that I am very unlikely to use again...

Was well worth it, though...
Now it's back to work!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search